Bike Big Kahunas

Having road raced for a few years, I still can't grasp how these MotoGP guys can ride as quick as they do. How Marquez doesn't fall off at nearly every corner is amazing, as he is on the absolute limit of grip time after time, and saves some lurid front end slides at 200kph. They're all freaks, yet Vale has to be the best all round rider in my opinion. Stoner was one of the best (he is still as quick, if not quicker, as the Ducati factory riders when he tests their bikes) 

Here's my favourite slide from Marco Melandri at The Island

10 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Having road raced for a few years, I still can't grasp how these MotoGP guys can ride as quick as they do. How Marquez doesn't fall off at nearly every corner is amazing, as he is on the absolute limit of grip time after time, and saves some lurid front end slides at 200kph. They're all freaks, yet Vale has to be the best all round rider in my opinion. Stoner was one of the best (he is still as quick, if not quicker, as the Ducati factory riders when he tests their bikes) 

What do you reckon thats just cos of a forced turn in? or on power ?  F..kn impressive whatever..

Far out ever since I crashed I have no balls for anything like that .. maybe on the dirt but the blacktop, no way only in a car.

3 minutes ago, symsy said:

What do you reckon thats just cos of a forced turn in? or on power ?  F..kn impressive whatever..

Far out ever since I crashed I have no balls for anything like that .. maybe on the dirt but the blacktop, no way only in a car.

That's just playing around on the gas mate. Guys at that level can slide at any opportunity, any corner and any speed, as they train all the time on dirt bikes (Rossi has his own flat track ranch) and they've been doing it a long time

On 25/03/2018 at 9:15 PM, LeeM said:

They are on a different plane altogether, I was admittadedly shithouse but after pulling 240 through the bend leading up to Honda corner at PI, starting to brake for the corner, when an A grader on a 125 GP bike goes past and changes UP. TWiCE. I knew it was time to stick to working on them rather than riding them. Very humbling experience, and most think that just  being a nutter means that they could also do it, but have NFI until you see it for yourself in real time.

15 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

They are on a different plane altogether, I was admittadedly shithouse but after pulling 240 through the bend leading up to Honda corner at PI, starting to brake for the corner, when an A grader on a 125 GP bike goes past and changes UP. TWiCE. I knew it was time to stick to working on them rather than riding them. Very humbling experience, and most think that just  being a nutter means that they could also do it, but have NFI until you see it for yourself in real time.

Yes no doubt in my mind these guys at the top level are talented and have that gift to extract that extra few percent out of them selves and the machines they ride ,,,,you just don,t get to that level with out being better than 99.9% of us ............they are certainly gifted ...

2 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

I knew it was time to stick to working on them rather than riding them. Very humbling experience, and most think that just  being a nutter means that they could also do it, but have NFI until you see it for yourself in real time.

Been there! When I was at My Gambier' Mac Park, some bloke on a GSXR 750 L model street bike, lights n all, was out there mucking around. He wasn't slow, but just pulling wheelies now n then, and I thought he was a bit of a dick wearing Lucky Strike leathers and Kevin Magee replica helmet, so I nudge him out the way a bit to get passed. Then ofcourse I was flat knacker down the straight coupla laps later, and Mr Dick comes past me so fast, I may aswell be stopped, then smoked it up out of turn 1!  Yep, it was Magoo when he was riding for Kenny Roberts ? Then he apologised for holding me up when I got past him earlier ???? We had a beer and long chat afterwards, and said Mac Park was still one of his favourite tracks around the world. Great bloke

My first 'You can't be f.....g serious?' moment, was watching the new 4 stroke GP bikes for the first time, and Nicky Hayden came out of Siberia full gas and half sideways at some mega rpm and ridiculous speed. I couldn't believe a human and motorcycle could accelerate that quickly and stay on it. I knew at that moment I was shit on a bike ?

2 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Been there! When I was at My Gambier' Mac Park, some bloke on a GSXR 750 L model street bike, lights n all, was out there mucking around. He wasn't slow, but just pulling wheelies now n then, and I thought he was a bit of a dick wearing Lucky Strike leathers and Kevin Magee replica helmet, so I nudge him out the way a bit to get passed. Then ofcourse I was flat knacker down the straight coupla laps later, and Mr Dick comes past me so fast, I may aswell be stopped, then smoked it up out of turn 1!  Yep, it was Magoo when he was riding for Kenny Roberts ? Then he apologised for holding me up when I got past him earlier ???? We had a beer and long chat afterwards, and said Mac Park was still one of his favourite tracks around the world. Great bloke

My first 'You can't be f.....g serious?' moment, was watching the new 4 stroke GP bikes for the first time, and Nicky Hayden came out of Siberia full gas and half sideways at some mega rpm and ridiculous speed. I couldn't believe a human and motorcycle could accelerate that quickly and stay on it. I knew at that moment I was shit on a bike ?

The most unassuming, talented Bloke I have ever met.                    Its impossible to get pissed when you see real, actual  talent in action. 

My BiL races bikes back in the UK, has won the championship he competes in 3 times (I think) in the last few years on a 600cc Kawasaki thing. They came over here for Christmas a couple of years ago so we got him a day at PI as it’s one of his dream tracks to do, watching him on a rental bike was humbling, I didn’t realise it was possible to keep them on the black stuff at the angles he got that to, even the instructors were impressed. One of them went out to pace him after he went round the outside of 3 other known fast riders on the long final left hander onto the straight, apparently 285 under the bridge is quite quick. 3 laps and he’d lost the instructor....

1 hour ago, Mike-S said:

My BiL races bikes back in the UK, has won the championship he competes in 3 times (I think) in the last few years on a 600cc Kawasaki thing. They came over here for Christmas a couple of years ago so we got him a day at PI as it’s one of his dream tracks to do, watching him on a rental bike was humbling, I didn’t realise it was possible to keep them on the black stuff at the angles he got that to, even the instructors were impressed. One of them went out to pace him after he went round the outside of 3 other known fast riders on the long final left hander onto the straight, apparently 285 under the bridge is quite quick. 3 laps and he’d lost the instructor....

People like that define , why I sold a 70K Ducati.. liberal application of carbon fibre and magnesium made little difference. 

Eddie actually sold his Ducati road bike to go racing a few years ago, in his view the roads were getting too dangerous. He’s had many a crash and broken bones since while racing, but it hasn’t put him off wanting to do the TT :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, Mike-S said:

Eddie actually sold his Ducati road bike to go racing a few years ago, in his view the roads were getting too dangerous. He’s had many a crash and broken bones since while racing, but it hasn’t put him off wanting to do the TT :rolleyes:

TT = madman ... the most daring crazies on the road

1 hour ago, Mike-S said:

Yep, something we’re all agreed on. 

A good mate of mine, Davo Johnson, I helped get a ride in the UK quite a few years ago (I was sponsored here by Revolution UK/Penske and put his name forward) rode for the factory Norton team last year at the TT. I had a few beers with him over Xmas and a chat about the TT and why the hell he does it? (I was offered a ride there in the early 90's, but I was scared shitless just watching it! I think they're bonkers personally)  He simply said it's just a challenge other than closed circuit racing (and a helluva lot more money), and that it's not that hard when you know the circuit and where the danger spots are, and don't push as hard as you do in normal racing. He's had a couple of close calls, yet told me he was trying way too hard at those times, and was told by John Mcguiness to slow down to go fast. Seems to have worked, as he's top ten there now. He very nearly slammed into Ian Hutchinson at 170mph when Ian had a big off last year on the mountain (there's video on Youtube), so that opened his eyes a bit. He's told me of a couple of well known riders who are known among the top guys to be dancing with the devil there, but he won't put his life on the line for the sake of a few dollars and a trophy. Theres always something in reserve.

Davo is now riding for the factory Gulf BMW team in British Superbikes (not a good start on the weekend with a big off at Donnington), yet will be doing the TT and some other road courses. 

As above, I think TT riders are either very brave, or completely off their heads! I'd probably do it on a 4 stroke 250 or something slow, but to ride that place flat out on a 320kph 200+hp motorcycle.....I just don't know what to say! Theyre not stupid or have a death wish, and apart from chatterbox Guy Martin (who always seems to be talking like he's consumed a kilo of speed up his nose before talking), most TT riders are very chilled out, laid back guys. Same as serial killers I spose, in that its always the quiet ones you have to look out for

Davo onboard at .28

10 hours ago, LeeM said:

Davo onboard at .28

"As above, I think TT riders are either very brave, or completely off their heads!  to ride that place flat out on a 320kph 200+hp motorcycle..... Theyre not stupid or have a death wish,  chatterbox Guy Martin (who always seems to be talking like he's consumed a kilo of speed up his nose before talking),

most TT riders are very chilled out, laid back guys. Same as serial killers I spose,"

Extremely accurate words Lee, one kilo up each nostril me thinks.... Wouldn't think I'd even look at a bike ever again if I came off like Connor Cummins

2 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Extremely accurate words Lee, one kilo up each nostril me thinks.... Wouldn't think I'd even look at a bike ever again if I came off like Connor Cummins

He was a very lucky man. Same as Hutchy a few years ago who broke his leg so badly, he now has every bikes gear shifter moved to the right hand side. There was a doco on his recovery somewhere. I think he broke it again in the video above, so who knows if he'll be back racing

would someone more knowledgeable kindly edumacate me: I noticed a few weekends ago on TV a lot of circuit riders sticking their inside leg out before a bend, dirt bike style.

A knee I can understand, but why the leg? just stretching maybe? Nearly all riders did it, and it looked pretty odd...

I asked a road bike  rider at work today, but he didn't know either.

Why do tennis players grunt!? Some idiot started doing it so all others follow...

A bloody stupid thing to do. I used to race. Admittedly not at GP level, your foot is supposed to on the peg, knee down yes, leg waving around, no!

@deano I tried watching a video on YouTube about that recently, but got bored and switched off. Apparently Rossi started it, yet no real reason why. They say it was a tactic to get in other riders heads, yet that's as far as I got. Maybe to block someone passing them? 

There must be some benefit to a top level rider, as they would do anything for an advantage, yet I have no idea why they do it and don't really care, as I think it looks ridiculous

I@deano I tried watching a video on YouTube about that recently, but got bored and switched off. Apparently Rossi started it, yet no real reason why. They say it was a tactic to get in other riders heads, yet that's as far as I got. Maybe to block someone passing them? 

There must be some benefit to a top level rider, as they would do anything for an advantage, yet I have no idea why they do it and don't really care, as I think it looks ridiculous

Here's the video anyway

@LeeM it could be like when Mick Doohan had to use a thumb operated rear brake (left hand) because his leg was so stuffed, others saw it and tried to copy it.... for no benefit, just because he had it.....

Probably Adam. If it's good enough for Rossi, it's good enough for me scenario. I'd always laugh when Doohan would ride a 4 stroke at Suzuka, and he'd pull the clutch in so it had no engine braking coz he was used to 2 strokes. Try THAT fellas! He used to wear out rear discs pretty quickly too

Archived