AutoArt in Melbourne

I'm moving to Thornbury next week right down the road from Auto Art. I have been to an open day there but otherwise don't know much about them, I'd like to ask if they're a good mob to spend my money with? I just don't know a whole lot about them being fairly new to pcar ownership, hopefully some of the forum members can help with some feedback?

Will need to find a shop to service my 911 and eventually do the gearbox rebuild, I'm hoping they can do the right job without bleeding me dry!

7 hours ago, vinnytang said:

I'm moving to Thornbury next week right down the road from Auto Art. I have been to an open day there but otherwise don't know much about them, I'd like to ask if they're a good mob to spend my money with? I just don't know a whole lot about them being fairly new to pcar ownership, hopefully some of the forum members can help with some feedback?

Will need to find a shop to service my 911 and eventually do the gearbox rebuild, I'm hoping they can do the right job without bleeding me dry!

Aren't they the ones tied up with the L place???

Everyone has a horror story about a mechanic/workshop

Ive engaged and used Michael - I like him and he has a lot of knowledge and did very good work for me. He has arguably one of the the best Porsche engine builders in the world and his prices are not stupid. I live probably 1km from his workshop so it was uber convenient. 

Like many of his counterparts, he got overwhelmed over the past 10 years as the Porsche scene exploded, he has been addressing that.

@KGB has also used his services on his P cars

I’ve been dealing with them over the past 6 weeks buying a car that they’re selling for a customer. Michael is a good bloke and knows his stuff. It’s been a pleasant experience. Quite a lot of high end stuff in the shop when I was there.

On 26/03/2018 at 12:13 PM, vinnytang said:

Since you will be on that side of the hipster-proof fence, for a 915 rebuild go to Darren at AutoCoupe in Eltham.

Decades of gearbox rebuilding experience & maybe he's on the same train line.

16 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

Since you will be on that side of the hipster-proof fence, for a 915 rebuild go to Darren at AutoCoupe in Eltham.

Decades of gearbox rebuilding experience & maybe he's on the same train line.

Darren and AutoCoupe are fantastic also -  little further to travel but just a sensational guy

2 hours ago, Ozvino said:

Ive engaged and used Michael - I like him and he has a lot of knowledge and did very good work for me. He has arguably one of the the best Porsche engine builders in the world and his prices are not stupid. I live probably 1km from his workshop so it was uber convenient. 

Like many of his counterparts, he got overwhelmed over the past 10 years as the Porsche scene exploded, he has been addressing that.

fikret retired to NZ last year

3 hours ago, Ozvino said:

Agreed,  Michael does good engine work

My office is down the road from Auto Art, so started cautiously and slowly with Michael.   Couldn't speak highly enough of his work on my 964 and 928GTS.  He knows his stuff, and gets to the crux of the problem very quickly.  Great diagnosis, communication and thought processes to arrive at best or most appropriate solution.  MIchael employed and taught quite a few of the younger independents mentioned on this forum, and is often consulted by them for advice which he happily provides.  Great engine and gearbox builder.  Worked at Hamiltons during the 3.0-964, 928, 944 era. 

If your personalities click you'll have a great relationship.  We've become friends over the journeys with both my cars.  A very good bloke.

Then you have Paint & Custom, with uncle Louie, across the road.  Expensive but very good.

3 hours ago, KGB said:

My office is down the road from Auto Art, so started cautiously and slowly with Michael.   Couldn't speak highly enough of his work on my 964 and 928GTS.  He knows his stuff, and gets to the crux of the problem very quickly.  Great diagnosis, communication and thought processes to arrive at best or most appropriate solution.  MIchael employed and taught quite a few of the younger independents mentioned on this forum, and is often consulted by them for advice which he happily provides.  Great engine and gearbox builder.  Worked at Hamiltons during the 3.0-964, 928, 944 era. 

If your personalities click you'll have a great relationship.  We've become friends over the journeys with both my cars.  A very good bloke.

Then you have Paint & Custom, with uncle Louie, across the road.  Expensive but very good.

never worked at hamiltons

be interested to know which independents he taught too?

5 hours ago, jnr356 said:

i've known michael for a while..also worked with fikret

Fikret rebuilt the top end in my 964.   Mad Turkish bastard worked on 2 Porsche aero engines last year...they were something.

5 hours ago, Spectre said:

And a chat 

I think he's trying to cure that issue....

On 3/29/2018 at 2:29 PM, KGB said:

Fikret rebuilt the top end in my 964.   Mad Turkish bastard worked on 2 Porsche aero engines last year...they were something.

I think he's trying to cure that issue....

NNNOOOO that's the virtue that makes Michael special

• 4 weeks later...

The fuel pump on the 911 decided to give out this morning, so had an impromptu first visit to Auto Art via Nationwide Towing based on your recommendation @KGB (and it also being around the corner from my house). Looking forward to see if they should be my local go-to in the future!

On 28 March 2018 at 6:00 PM, KGB said:

I hope they offer better service than Maztech across the road.  A f*#%ing hour drive each way to see my car "on the dyno" today only to get there and find it still on the hoist.....again.  ? @KGB if you are passing by and see a dark green RX7 on the dyno, can you let me know.  Only been 3.5 months wait so far......

Maybe I should send it to Louie for a lick of paint while I wait.

@DJM the main aural vibe down that end of Dundas St is of large wasps buzzing their a$$es off on a Dyno all day...  

I'll snap you a pic.

15 hours ago, vinnytang said:

The fuel pump on the 911 decided to give out this morning, so had an impromptu first visit to Auto Art via Nationwide Towing based on your recommendation @KGB (and it also being around the corner from my house). Looking forward to see if they should be my local go-to in the future!

Oh oh!

9 hours ago, DJM said:

I hope they offer better service than Maztech across the road.  A f*#%ing hour drive each way to see my car "on the dyno" today only to get there and find it still on the hoist.....again.  ? @KGB if you are passing by and see a dark green RX7 on the dyno, can you let me know.  Only been 3.5 months wait so far......

Maybe I should send it to Louie for a lick of paint while I wait.

Maztech’s customer service leaves a lot to be desired, but by god can they make a rotary sing. My old FD3S RS flew after they gave it the treatment.

13 hours ago, vinnytang said:

Maztech’s customer service leaves a lot to be desired, but by god can they make a rotary sing. My old FD3S RS flew after they gave it the treatment.

Yeah that's why I am there.  Service is terrible but apparently Anthony is the man for tuning Microtech ECU turbo rotaries.  I keep smiling and encouraging through gritted teeth.

Archived