SENSORS FOR CROSSING BROKEN LINES

Please be aware if your out SMT'ing,    that we encountered something we hadn't seen or heard about before on our last three dayer.

Apparantly "they" are setting up some sort of sensors on the mountain roads on bends, that record if you go over lines.   (Reefton would have to be a monty)

We all know you shouldn't be going over double or single lines here in Victoria.   But apparantly you are not to go over broken lines either unless your actually passing with an indicator on.

So all I am saying, if you tend to straighten the road or set up for better corner lines, be aware this technology appears to be out there.

There are still enquiries being made as to this new "road safety device" and how exactly it is set up.

I have spoken to a couple of people in the "job" yesterday and they had not heard of it before.

But it is out there, and you won't know you have been pinged until you are pulled over some distance away and possibly around the bend.

$320.00 and 2 points.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like the apprentice was sent out to set up standard car counting installation and muffed it. A video would be far better evidence of crossing the line as it would show and identify the vehicle and its position on the road and if any other circumstances (obstruction) exist that would make it legal to cross the line. The only way a sensor would work is if there was a cop watching it and he would not need a sensor to book you as his word would be taken as fact. If this is on the omeo hwy then I would put it down to the same clown that is putting out fake speed cameras or perhaps there are a few clowns out there. 

3 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Sounds like the apprentice was sent out to set up standard car counting installation and muffed it. A video would be far better evidence of crossing the line as it would show and identify the vehicle and its position on the road and if any other circumstances (obstruction) exist that would make it legal to cross the line. The only way a sensor would work is if there was a cop watching it and he would not need a sensor to book you as his word would be taken as fact. If this is on the omeo hwy then I would put it down to the same clown that is putting out fake speed cameras or perhaps there are a few clowns out there. 

Only telling you what happened.

up to you if you want to believe it or not.

1 minute ago, Niko said:

Only telling you what happened.

Yep and thanks for brining it up and it is certainly worth getting to the bottom of. Just throwing in my 2 cents worth after a good red.

The missus just chimed in and said they could be just doing a survey on how many cars cross the line. But to get an answer they would also need to know how many cars were on the road requiring a normal car counting setup as well. 

In this day and age setting up sensors to trigger a camera, whether a still shot or video would be easy.

or an unmanned camera with motion sensor with 24 hour recording capability.

1 minute ago, Redracn said:

Yep and thanks for brining it up and it is certainly worth getting to the bottom of. Just throwing in my 2 cents worth after a good red.

The missus just chimed in and said they could be just doing a survey on how many cars cross the line. But to get an answer they would also need to know how many cars were on the road requiring a normal car counting setup as well. 

Two people have Traffic infringement notices to discount the car counting theory.

the infringement was explained to both involved and they were not done together,

a gap between the two

Good to see they are focusing on the important offenses like crossing broken lines on windy roads with most likely good sight lines than the trivial and rare cases of drunk / drugged drivers and mobile phone use... :rolleyes:

Don,t the grubs in power get enough money of us now they come up with another way to take more funds from us ..........The country seriously is a Police State and the working Public just seem to be a source of easy income for these grubs ................:PissedOff:

It seems you must have a dash cam these days in every car you drive to justify every action or decision  you take behind the wheel in order to protect your back pocket from the grub bureaucrats that seek to screw you for every cent they can steel.... 

2 hours ago, Ozvino said:

Thanks Niko for sharing.

So that I understand they have this device set and when you trigger it they pick you up further down the road? Or is this device wired into a camera?

Yes mate, in this case (both cars) the device was apparently up and around a bend and not in sight of the officer.  

So it was when you are actually slowed right down to go over a one car only bridge, that the officer was in a cleared area on the side of the road, walks out to greet you.  

It was Highway Patrol.   The bulk of us went through a few minutes earlier than the unlucky two and he was setting up some sort of box as we went by.   

One of the unlucky recipients of the ticket was told there was a camera involved, the other wasn't.  Both were told there were sensors on or in the road I believe. 

The officer did offer to walk them up the hill and show them where it was but because it was crappy weather neither accepted the offer.

In hindsight it would have been good to have a look.  

1 minute ago, Niko said:

Yes mate, in this case (both cars) the device was apparently up and around a bend and not in sight of the officer.  

So it was when you are actually slowed right down to go over a one car only bridge, that the officer was in a cleared area on the side of the road, walks out to greet you.  

It was Highway Patrol.   The bulk of us went through a few minutes earlier than the unlucky two and he was setting up some sort of box as we went by.   

One of the unlucky recipients of the ticket was told there was a camera involved, the other wasn't.  Both were told there were sensors on or in the road I believe. 

The officer did offer to walk them up the hill and show them where it was but because it was crappy weather neither accepted the offer.

In hindsight it would have been good to have a look.  

@Harvs11 said his mate(hard to believe, I know) checked it out, and  pretty sure he said it was in line of sight of the state funded revenue collector, if it wasn’t and there is no photos, I doubt it would hold up in court 

1 hour ago, OZ930 said:

Glad I don't drive a B-double or a road train....or drive in Vic. 

thanks Niko

Brian, You'd never be able to get those vehicles on this road, caravans struggle.

I'm trying to get more info because this really is a big game changer as far as I'm concerned, I tend to use as much of the road when it is safe to do so.

I was also a driving instructor for Vicpol in a previous life and as driving instructors being taught, to teach others.....

we were always told to use the whole road, straighten the road when you can and utilise corner lines etc as long as it is safe to do so.

(That did not include crossing double lines however)

1 minute ago, Niko said:

Brian, You'd never be able to get those vehicles on this road, caravans struggle.

I'm trying to get more info because this really is a big game changer as far as I'm concerned, I tend to use as much of the road when it is safe to do so.

I was also a driving instructor for Vicpol in a previous life and as driving instructors being taught, to teach others.....

we were always told to use the whole road, straighten the road when you can and utilise corner lines etc as long as it is safe to do so.

(That did not include crossing double lines however)

That would therefore be a case of don’t do as I do, or what is safe and sensible, just do as I say and follow the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law, or you will be financially raped and eventually beaten into submission .

3 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

That would therefore be a case of don’t do as I do, or what is safe and sensible, just do as I say and follow the letter of the law and not the spirit of the law, or you will be financially raped and eventually beaten into submission .

That was 15 years ago Steve, so driver training may have changed I would think.   Accountability being the big thing now and covering one's ass.

Archived