Project Cars 2

MFX

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ugame said:

Meanwhile I'm faced with a dilemma.

Spend $350 on a G29 to improve my virtual track times.......OR.....spend $330 on a Porsche track day at Barbagallo Raceway in real life lol.

Sim racing is definitely not the same as getting out on the track, but I am still improving my driving a whole lot. That is where I am impressed by learning Bathurst as there are many difficult corners, particularly along the top of the hill, where weight transfer is super important. Little things like learning that a bit of throttle can stabilise the car between corners in the s's and I just discovered last night how much trail braking into turn 2 helps my times. You can of course also really push the limits without the fear of dying ;)   

16 minutes ago, MFX said:

Sim racing is definitely not the same as getting out on the track, but I am still improving my driving a whole lot. That is where I am impressed by learning Bathurst as there are many difficult corners, particularly along the top of the hill, where weight transfer is super important. Little things like learning that a bit of throttle can stabilise the car between corners in the s's and I just discovered last night how much trail braking into turn 2 helps my times. You can of course also really push the limits without the fear of dying ;)   

And that's what I'm weighing up lol.

$350 one off fee

vs

$330 track day fee + 2 oil changes + hastening brake pad/rotor change + whatever else.

Notice how fear of death didn't come into it lol.

All that said.....what's the point of owning my Cayman if I don't take it to at least 1 track day?

The day in question is a Friday I'd already booked off anyway.

I'd be silly to NOT go ;)

44 minutes ago, ugame said:

$350 one off fee

vs

$330 track day fee + 2 oil changes + hastening brake pad/rotor change + whatever else.

All that said.....what's the point of owning my Cayman if I don't take it to at least 1 track day?

I would be going to the track day. At the moment I don't have a track worthy car so Sim Racing is it. I wish I got to take my old 987CS to the track, it would have been a blast!

4 hours ago, ugame said:

$350 one off fee

vs

There is no substitute for real track time. Sim racing can help, but you're development will be slower and sims also miss those subtle details of track surface changes and bumps although they can get pretty close at times.

Plus ripple strips are a lot more fun in real life! ?

Yep not my first rodeo ;) but would be my first in the Porsche.

Dont worry guys...I signed the paperwork tonight :D

Links added. Clicky clicky

2 Day classic rally in 350Z (excuse/skip the cheesy interview style) (I've skipped for you in the time stamp)

Track day in 2.0 GTV 916

MC Day in Alfa Romeo 2.0 147 (360 video)

MC Day in VW Beetle  (360 video)

Timed MC day in Chrysler 300C

Back on topic....still with controller, I'm down to 2:15.779

Getting much more aggressive over the top of the mountain, and now comfortably allowing and catching some slide to set me up for the next turn.....sometimes on purpose :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well I did my tax this week finally, and on the calculation it said "We owe you a Logitech G29" which is nice.

I'm not sure that's how the wife read it, but she gets her own return this year so...... :D

52 minutes ago, thumperson said:

I am on PS4 and sadly only using the controller. I am a 2:13 and a bit with a 2:10 potential. I keep oversteering in the weirdest places. Must fight the urge for a wheel. 

Post your best complete time and I will add you to the leaderboard :D 

13 hours ago, MFX said:

Post your best complete time and I will add you to the leaderboard :D 

That would require being able to repeat it! Best as of this session is 14.96 with a 13.2 potential. Does anyone know how to get it to refresh the tyres while in the pits? I have change tyres in the strategy but it doesn’t do it. That is my excuse anyway?

11 hours ago, ugame said:

Out of interested, as you guys using traction control completely OFF, or set to "authentic"?

I am using it as it comes. You definitely can't just mash the throttle everywhere, that is not going to help you. It took me a long time to treat it like driving a real car, rather than over driving it like a video game. Once you get into it further you really start to get a feel for the balance of the car. Something that helped me is doing a bunch of races in the 935. That thing is a nightmare to drive, but you learn a whole lot about car control in the game.

17 minutes ago, thumperson said:

That would require being able to repeat it! Best as of this session is 14.96 with a 13.2 potential. Does anyone know how to get it to refresh the tyres while in the pits? I have change tyres in the strategy but it doesn’t do it. That is my excuse anyway?

What mode are you doing your lap times in? When I first got the game I did it in Practice, but I have finally signed up for xbox live which has opened up Time Trial. Time Trial makes it soooo much easier, as you start with warm tyres, at speed just before the last corner, and you can also have a ghost. That way if you are having a crap lap, you can just reset and you are back at the start of the lap all fresh, particularly as it has damage on so if you mess up at all, the car is toast.

4 hours ago, MFX said:

I am using it as it comes. You definitely can't just mash the throttle everywhere, that is not going to help you. It took me a long time to treat it like driving a real car, rather than over driving it like a video game. Once you get into it further you really start to get a feel for the balance of the car. Something that helped me is doing a bunch of races in the 935. That thing is a nightmare to drive, but you learn a whole lot about car control in the game.

What mode are you doing your lap times in? When I first got the game I did it in Practice, but I have finally signed up for xbox live which has opened up Time Trial. Time Trial makes it soooo much easier, as you start with warm tyres, at speed just before the last corner, and you can also have a ghost. That way if you are having a crap lap, you can just reset and you are back at the start of the lap all fresh, particularly as it has damage on so if you mess up at all, the car is toast.

Ah yeah so same I think. TC "As it comes" i believe is "authentic", not "off".

And yep I too drive games like a car in RL. You can't just mash. Harder to achieve on the controller though as there is far less travel and I think the controls are compromised a little also.

I was also doing it in practice but I switched to Time Trials.  Interestingly, you do NOT need PSN+ Subscription to use this mode on the PS4. Yay Sony :P

Looked st G29 prices yesterday. JBHIFI Have literally just put it back up to full price at $499. Was $350 last week! I'll wait.

2 hours ago, MFX said:

I have the Thrustmaster TMX Pro and so far it has been good. It has a clutch, which really helps with standing starts, and it also has an H pattern shifter option.

Yeah sadly the pickings for PS4 compatible wheels are thin.  There are a couple of entry level wheels I wouldn't waste my time on, then you get to the G29, and then you go UP to the fantechs and the like but even then there aren't many that work with the PS4. All due to licencing of course.

There are "adapters" but from my research, none to date work properly and you usually end up loosing force feedback and other functions.

So really...it's G29 on sale or nothing.

Pisses me off a little, as there was nothing wrong with my G27, and in my mind, other than "making money", they had no cause to not allow compatibility with the PS4. But meh.

7 minutes ago, ugame said:

Pisses me off a little, as there was nothing wrong with my G27, and in my mind, other than "making money", they had no cause to not allow compatibility with the PS4. But meh.

That would piss me off a lot!

On 10/9/2018 at 5:30 PM, ugame said:

Do it 

Luck mostly! I nailed it across the top and managed to get it to flow particularly going into the dipper. I actually got most benefit practicing the circuit with the Toyota LMP1 car. My best with that is a 1:53 which is still 10 secs slower than the best. Those fast peeps must be amazing!

i will try to post the set up when I am allowed a bigger file but it is pretty standard and uses most of the tips already on this thread. 

Well I hit again and turned TC totally off rather than the default "authentic". This increased lock ups but was otherwise controllable and arguably faster but I'm still 10 seconds off you guys.  I think I need to get more angry across the top.  I mag post a video of a good lap so you guys can give pointers on where I'm slacking off.

We're all using the 911 GT3 R as the base yes?

Archived