Project Jelly Bean (AKA Kinda Green ’99 996 911)

Quick update on Jelly Bean:

Replaced the spark plug tubes, its pretty easy to get these out using a bolt with a washer on it and a flat head.

eBcaZ2X.jpg

SV0kC2w.jpg

94vlYEU.jpg

4qXdkhr.jpg

0rei3y6.jpg

Replaced the hinge on the rear clam, still does not work properly. Ended up getting these from the US as seem to struggle to find wrecking 996 Cabs in Aus.

yDqfqfV.jpg

CPurzqh.jpg

wXVdnui.jpg

Engine oil changed, not that exciting

dcEavYZ.jpg

Filter looks good, no metal!

KoyGKHQ.jpg

ngiqpK9.jpg

Gearbox oil and filter changed, a little more exciting

NJiaVur.jpg

3j53VA8.jpg

nCyCGqy.jpg

The filler plug was tightened to an insane level!!!

CXTgutX.jpg

Filling is done by pumping into the transmission until it runs out...

w9ob7xZ.jpg

Picked up a scanner, does somethings but not all, rate it way above a cheap bluetooth module though. So will need to get a friendly porsche mechanic to try and re calibrate the top so that it can open and close fully. Not able to find anything else that does not function.

xIT4VtA.jpg

I battled with an issue with the convertible top similar to yours for a couple of weeks until I bit the bullet and went to my independent Porsche mechanic who re-calibrated it. Took all of ten minutes (most of that was waiting for the PIWIS to boot). This fixed it and my soft top has been perfect ever since. I suspect yours just needs calibration too.

10 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Love how you've dived straight into this 996!

FYI Hytech in Sydney have two convertible 996s they are wrecking both MK1 and MK2.

Also I have a PIWISII (factory Porsche computer) if you'd like to have a go at calibrating it yourself - PM me

Thanks for the offer Dan, if dont mind would be worth a shot to check if it can be done or if anything else busted which i cannot find. Will send you a PM.

Thanks for the confirmation Oggie, it didnt cycle before and the clam didnt work. After stuffing around with it in manual mode i am hoping that is the only issue. I actually like the hard top on it but if i get the soft top running might look at getting a wind deflector and try driving with the top down now and then.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has not been great. Daniel helped me by letting me plug into his PIWIS (thanks again!) and it just kept spitting out the error about timeout not reached end position. But nothing to indicate what that was in reference too. We played around with some settings but didnt work.

So back to resetting the POT and trying various things.

To aid that i picked up a 2nd hand Durametric with the idea of being able to at least see what is going on even if it wont calibrate. Ran into an issue that it wont connect to anything on K2 of the OBD. K1 has the engine/gearbox while K2 is airbag, aircon, instruments, convertible top, etc. Talking Durametric i an told the issue is the airbag but confused as no live errors on the airbag off PIWIS. Will do the airbag delete resistor move and see it that helps. My other thought is that it is a switch in the top hook module as it stops just as the hook retracts.

tFHsVRI.jpg

Wz0wJfm.jpg

fO0Na6C.jpg

hxowIBw.jpg

fOR9d5s.jpg

For reference durametric screens and the light on the plug each screen. If the plug stays green but it falls over then its the airbag, if it goes Red its the cable - slight issue when you are colour blind FYI... Can they make it 2 LEDs please.

Starting up application with the plug in both the computer and car

hwhpu7n.jpg

a0QCULY.jpg

Application loaded and selecting car

EmRhFfo.jpg

NucW9bi.jpg

Reading ECU

bcBkZgE.jpg

cPSRgO8.jpg

Reading gearbox

3se6hIw.jpg

oq2aIyn.jpg

And selecting airbag it looses sync

fmvmLHB.jpg

PqAxSrr.jpg

In positive news i got the other car running in the garage, needs some work on the alignment as its all over the shop vs the 911. The wheel sticking up is an old kids 911 that i am going to fix up for my 5 month old to drive in the future. Parts appear to be rather hard to come by so it might be 'hot rod' 911 as opposed to stock.

ekJBNA6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help from someone with a Durametric Pro in Melbourne, need to test if it’s my car or the cable as the us company is not sure the issue and before for a new one I would like to confirm.

Need 10 min to plug in your cable to my car, test a k2 line item or airbag. Then test roof connection. Don’t need to do any trouble shooting.

Reason for pro is so that I don’t use a vin on one of the enthusiast version.

please let me know if you can help me out?

thanks 

Taffy

• 8 months later...

Been a while since i updated this but key knocking jobs over on the car, but as with everything things change and the car will be for sale in a couple of weeks once i track down 2 more parts and get the roof calibrated. I have been offered a role in the UK for a couple of years, so plan to pick up a car over there (thinking 996 turbo, 997.1 S or a 997.2 PDK) shipping it back. 

On the car itself:

Replaced fuel flap solenoid, this is the 2nd go at it as give up first time unsure how to get the unit out. You can remove the carbon canister with a little force and you need to be creative to undo the screws holding it in.

HH1UIOO.jpg

Fun...

u1udycl.jpg

lftzeMi.jpg

Installed USB ports in the centre console, i was going to replace the ciggy lighter but instead decided a better course is to have them hidden away. Seems to work well with either usb key or running a iphone/android cable out as needed.

yJ9oJe0.jpg

SgY3DT5.jpg

SVcUQuW.jpg

Getting the USB plugged into the head unit

bXWCqZf.jpg

L2t3j86.jpg

aLDTK1K.jpg

905LACe.jpg

AjdDwBl.jpg

Found cup holders and an unmbrella for the car.

v6EMz34.jpg

Installed heated seats, these are not porsche but after market. Took a little time but actually not that bad. Power comes off #6 which is the correct fuse but i had to jump it as i didnt have the piece of put the 2nd connector side into the fuse box. Not that it matters as each seat has its own fuse. Works pretty well for those cold mornings into work.

W5kccIj.jpg

u51v8xM.jpg

GgBzNll.jpg

OL6VZOE.jpg

SQuWEsI.jpg

6MNt6XG.jpg

1uXKiOh.jpg

vlmt7QB.jpg

2McCG84.jpg

1Y9LFqs.jpg

o53UBxJ.jpg

This was cut into the seats.. someone was having a happy day

QjsGynq.jpg

Had an annoying thing with the roof not going into the channels above the windows, turns out a connection running between each side was busted. Pulled out the sewing skills and fixed that up. Not pretty sewing but it seems to be working better. Arranged to get calibration a crack so can actually run the roof its full cycle...

You can see the loose piece hanging down in this pic

2Q1CMrK.jpg

oHC1EcB.jpg

VuKnEBE.jpg

All fixed

brbIy6M.jpg

Busted the flap which covers the lock on the rear clam in my playing around trying to get the roof working, replaced that.

EFeslDt.jpg

yUnTmzm.jpg

This happened... the spare didnt make out of the car park. Possibly age meant it just feel apart. Before selling the car will track down a boxster or 996 replacement. So 2 new rear tyres put on.

tOLDkge.jpg

So before selling:

1. Roof calibration

2. Replace spare tyre

3. Replace piece above the roll bars, last owner had hacked it up badly... Was going to try and fix but decided to see about a replacement.

4. New front rotors (believe going to need these for RWC)

Someone enjoying themselves in the car, he enjoys the rides which is a win!

aAnL1EC.jpg

Jelly Bean found a friend while i was at a training course in Richmond

X5fIbDe.jpg

If your interested in a car which makes a smashing daily driver, not afraid of shopping runs or the own road then Jelly Bean might be the car for you, watching the market lately the prices on 996's has shifted up which is a win for anyone buying this car. Engine replacement car at ~30K, 151K, last round of servicing i did as per this thread but porsche before that.

Looking for $35K which looking at gumtree/carsales makes it just about the cheapest in Aus. Will put up a full for sale ad once i get the roof running, but happy for anyone interested to get in contact (taffy.flynn(at)gmail.com or 0409 48O 6O9)

Will put some porsche parts i have left over as well over the coming days.

Cheers,

Taffy

3 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

@Taffy check the import rule review post (listed today) before deciding on the import option in 2 years as this may have an impact on your decision

Thanks, will check it out, didnt think they were going to impact personal imports.

9 hours ago, amanda said:

Crikey that car is still for sale! 18 months!

Yeah, when it was listed it was up against cars in the low 30's and price has not moved. Not sure how motivated the seller is if he has not lowered the $ or improved the sales ad. 

In good news for them the prices of 996s seem to be coming up to meet his price.

Spent some time this morning running the calibration on the roof, turns out the durametric pro will work the roof but the enthusiast would not. We could get it to fully cycle (win for nothing major broken), but the rear clam would not play ball and close at the end of calibration but will close when the roof is going into the closed position. Looking at things it may be that the shaft i replaced was not the correct one, i have now found there are actually 2:

996.561.01.OEM https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99656167301OEM.htm?pn=996-561-673-01-OEM&bt=Y&fs=0&SVSVSI=

996.561.00.OEM (says it is on other sides 03 onwards)https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99656167301.htm?pn=996-561-673-01-OEM

Plan is to swap back in the old one which does work and see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

My roof fun continues, this has to be one of the most annoying things ever made for a car. So little detail on how it actually works at what step, so you are shooting at the dark if you are fixing the issue or just wasting your time. Now have a Durametric which i can run the calibration with, the issue is that it wont calibrate yet. Of note is that a Durametric wont give you actual values for the sensors in the top like a PIWIS.

The good news is that i can get every part to actually work in full movement range... just not all at the same time... Its different to the last time i tried to calibrate after stuffing around again with the clam shaft. 

griuaNl.jpg

Playing around this arvo got to this stage, a combo of running calibration and the switch. Seems we are stuck on the last check before it closes. The clam is now playing up on opening so need undo what ever it was i last did...

saMy0A9.jpg

Edit: This odd thing was happening with the clam motor shaft, after installing the motor runs to try and shift the clam more open and causes the shaft to pop up and jam so you cannot press it down. 

Not jammed

Jammed

Anyone seen this?

This was the weekend point, better then before. You can see the year cover on the bench in the background i repair it following no luck trying to buy one.

6jpSAM7.jpg

Test fit of the rear shelf piece that i have it all aligned.

zZ9AkPv.jpg

Replaced the front rotors, pretty easy job

HctpXaq.jpg

Found i was getting a P0740 code on the tiptronic, so refilled the AT fluid in so doing while getting the filler plug to open i had to give it a solid yank and my head meet the LHS rear suspension... Not bad enough to stop but i still have a nice lump. Cleared the fault but not really driven the car much since, but given i am not getting crazy issues that some threads describe. Not too worried about it and wont spend more time on it for now as some have been told by Porsche to just keep an eye on it and not worry.

oxue8i5.jpg

download.axd?file=0;980604

Time is ticking, so going to have to throw some effort in getting this roof running and the car sold.

Playing around a little today i managed to get the roof to fully close and the clam to drop on it. To do that i disconnected the pot on the clam motor and set it at 6.2 K ohms. It just wont work in that state as a convertible... but good to get it functioning and narrow it down. I also tested all the microswitches in the top part of the roof as 1 issue may have been the 'fully retracted hook' microswitch. 

Also replaced the cover on the hook to the front of the roof, it really is a poor piece of design as even the replacement does not work that well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the major update is that i narrowed the issue down to the LHS flap motor being slow and not moving full up or down to make microswitches work fast enough.

Replaced that and bingo the roof works! Minor issue in that the hook is trying to close before it hits the windscreen, but a quick pull forward by hand and its fine so will see what the issue might be.