991.2 GT3rs faster than a 918!!

Pauly

I think Guinness should be involved with any of these ring times,as there are far to many variables to take into account to be taken seriously, sure it’s going to be faster than the last model, but is that because of secret tyres , race dept setup or a line of coke up the drivers nose. If new car ring times are going to be bragged about, it should be with an off the line production car that no one could have tampered with.

3 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

I think Guinness should be involved with any of these ring times,as there are far to many variables to take into account to be taken seriously

I think you're right, good way to level the playing field. How many pints are you proposing each driver must drink before they start out?

170px-Guinness.jpg.c7ed641f47d1e3887c24e8149a745daa.jpg

:lol:

Porsche has recently done huge amount of Chassis development on these car  starting with the GT2 RS and trickling down to the 3RS ,,,this combined with the revised engine and a sticky cup R spec tires has made a huge difference ...........they have beaten the Manthley car by 20 seconds ,,,,,as mentioned  above the drivers really drove to the limits to achieve this and there a few moments that look like it all could end bad ...

Rear wing looked to be set at maximum attack as the car seemed to hit the wall around the 280kph barrier so the set up was consistent with max downforce and grip ....certainly an astonishing time and will no doubt help with sales and Porsche profile in the marketplace ....

The New Vette was also going through its places when this was done along with a new BMW M car and both did,nt get under the 7 minute barrier ....some really good info on the rennlist about this also ...

Porsche did say there was more in the car, still amazing. Would like some footage of the driver - just to see how busy he was vs how much the computer was assisting.

I remember the in car footage of the 4.0 RS a few years back, that driver was working for it.

In fact in car from each GT3, & RS on the same tyres with in car. Now that would be something 

Watching that vid its clear the car was being driven 10/10ths. Very lucky not to end up binning it several times, that run wide, 2 wheels on the grass looked nasty.

I'm sure it will translate to sales for those that care about this - it seems win on Sunday sell on Monday has been replaced with ring times. For the manufacturers it makes sense, got to be cheaper to attack the ring than run race teams.

24 seconds faster than the 991.1 GT3 RS ...

Holy cow.

It'll be down to aero and chassis as much as anything.  All helps under braking to steady the ship as well (not that the guy spent much time on the brakes ...).

Watch it again and see where he's flat.  Pretty much all the time.  And also, where and when he gets on the throttle which shows that the thing gets its power down really, really well on mid and exit with bugger all understeer in the mid corner which is generally where you can lose time on a car in these sorts or applications.

The GT2 RS has a very different front and the diffuser at the rear to the 991.1 GT3 RS which cleans things up more than the earlier car and assuming (safely I think) that its all been taken across from the GT2, that will be a lot of it .  I had a look at the underneath of the GT2 RS on the weekend up on a hoist and then looked at the 991.1 GT3 RS and there's a fair bit in it.  The engine peak HP is 20 up on the .1 but there will also be where the torque is made as well as ratios perhaps (have to find a gear chart to be sure).

But 24 seconds and only 9 off the GT2 RS time with that car having basically 190 more hp and a mountain more torque is a stunning achievement - and shows its about more than just grunt.

And then there's the small matter of the guy driving ...

8 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

And then there's the small matter of the guy driving ...

That is always the thing I find the most interesting about when they quote these times. It is always just assumed that all race drivers are created the same.

1 minute ago, MFX said:

That is always the thing I find the most interesting about when they quote these times. It is always just assumed that all race drivers are created the same.

As one who has a bit of firsthand knowledge of The Spacers, let me confirm, they're not ... and can and do change within the course of a day!

7 hours ago, nbauto said:

That man has some big balls. He’s on the very limit. This 2RS was taken to the Ring the day of delivery. Didn’t end too well
f6d47ee9ae1017057a0d890e65b351b0.jpg

Apparently caused by oil down on the circuit ,,car rotated and kissed the rail ............owner claims he will be back in a month after the costly repairs .....at least he was driving the car like the manufacturer intended and not locking it away in some dark garage avoid of any light ..PTS Acid green 

31073006_918879331623859_494971602927511

6 hours ago, MFX said:

When it comes to the cream on the very top all drivers are very close to the same. At club level it is very different. 

Looks like he got off fairly lightly.

the 3RS lap is astounding, definitely one of the most aggressive manufacturer ring time videos I’ve seen. The momentum of that thing, unbelievable. The aggressive throttle inputs and it just cops it all. 

8 hours ago, Redracn said:

When it comes to the cream on the very top all drivers are very close to the same. At club level it is very different. 

That is true for some tracks, but the ring is so big, to nail the prefect line for every single bump, corner, etc, there has to be some human factor.

That’s the wildest lap I’ve seen from a pro at the ring.  Normally they look really smooth and controlled but this guy absolutely ragged the thing on and beyond the limit.  Throttle inputs are 0 or 100%, no mucking around with part throttle .  Typically video looks slower than real life so given it looks crazy on video I can’t imagine being in the car (or trying to drive it like that).  Awesome ??

3 hours ago, MFX said:

That is true for some tracks, but the ring is so big, to nail the prefect line for every single bump, corner, etc, there has to be some human factor.

Amongst say the top 10 ring drivers I doubt you will find a difference as they will all be very very close to each other. I am talking about professionals at the very top of their game. Car setup, tyres, track condition, ambient temperature, humidity etc are all much bigger factors at this level. 

Just look at the Qualifying times for this years Melbourne GP .......there is very little difference from pole position to last on the grid around 2.5 Seconds ...

All times are in Eastern Australia Time

Archived