- 996 turbo S manual coupes

- 997 GT2s

-997 GT2 RS'

-997 GT3 4.0s

-996 GT3RS'

-996 GT2s

- 993 Turbo S'

- 993 RS'

all of which are much, much better cars and some of them with much lower production numbers, they also all drive better

All good responses.  I forgot about rego transfer fee.  This would be $27440 in Vic.  So a nice up front tax to Vic Govt.

Consensus seems to be CAR definite NO.  I tend to agree.  Nice to dream though.  I feel that in two years it would be hard to let this baby go too.  The amount of time Duttons have had it says a lot about the market and in two years even if the hopeful did happen and the market value was say $800,000 getting someone to part with the 800 big ones for a 30 year old car is a big ask.  As DJM said "keep the house", at least until interest rates for fixed term improves.  

I also like the CSL option but the share market is painful at the moment.  

15 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

All good responses.  I forgot about rego transfer fee.  This would be $27440 in Vic.  So a nice up front tax to Vic Govt.

If the car is 25 years old and you put it on club plates you don't pay a Transfer fee in Vic. B)

Just saved you $27440. For that I'll happily enjoy a ride around the block as a passenger once you've bought it. :D

"" As DJM said "keep the house", at least until interest rates for fixed term improves.""   Phil I've read all of this with lots of thoughts but need more clarity - do you still own the house and don't have the money in your pocket and are deciding to accept a concrete offer? Or is the money sitting in a general account after the sale of a house and waiting to decide where to put it?

All hypothetical (but we do have a an old house in good street we were about to demolish and rebuild).  

Why I raised the hypothetical was agents keep approaching us saying we have buyers wanting the house and some of the dollars being offered are starting to make me rethink do I really want to sell current home and rebuild.  But as said all hypothetical at this time.  Doing nothing seems the easy option for now.

1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

All hypothetical (but we do have a an old house in good street we were about to demolish and rebuild).  

Why I raised the hypothetical was agents keep approaching us saying we have buyers wanting the house and some of the dollars being offered are starting to make me rethink do I really want to sell current home and rebuild.  But as said all hypothetical at this time.  Doing nothing seems the easy option for now.

Building is fun, just ask @DJM 

4 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Job number 1 for any agent is generating inventory - ie, your house to sell.  There's always 'buyers in the area' and 'someone who issued out on a previous sale' blah blah blah.   The unicorn cashed up, indiscriminate buyers never quite materialise after the hard work to prep the house and the listing is ready.  Usually they 'just closed on another property' 

i once let an agent talk me into listing, worst decision I ever made.   If you don't need to sell, don't.

5 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Consensus seems to be CAR definite NO.  I tend to agree.  Nice to dream though.  I feel that in two years it would be hard to let this baby go too.  The amount of time Duttons have had it says a lot about the market and in two years even if the hopeful did happen and the market value was say $800,000 getting someone to part with the 800 big ones for a 30 year old car is a big ask.  As DJM said "keep the house", at least until interest rates for fixed term improves.  

I also like the CSL option but the share market is painful at the moment.  

Think about how much time Duttons has spent trying to sell. That's a not-so-hidden cost.  To sell a car like this you'll end up paying some sort of commission to someone.  

Share market - AMZN - up 30% in 2018, up 110% since 2017.

10 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

knowing where your site is, and knowing the market there very well, I meant what I said "keep the house" 

There is strong demand in the area and strong prices being paid for both land and new builds.

Yesterday we bought another block in the next street from yours which came from an off market approach from our agent.  So while lots of agents are FOS, on occasion their are genuine buyers behind the talk.  PM me if you want to know what it's really worth vs the agent bullshit.

If I was in a position to drop  that kind of coin on a Porsche it would not be going to Duttons.  

I would also not be choosing a car as my source of optimal ROI.  We have had unprecedented levels of cheap cash for years not which has got everybody thinking that this gravy train will never end.  I am no financial expert but all the indicators suggest to me that at some stage over the next couple of years the tide will turn.

IF I was forced to pick a P as an investment with that sort of figure it would be this one:

https://www.porsche.com/australia/models/911/911-gt2-rs/911-gt2-rs/

But if I came into $650k I wouldn't be putting it into fixed interest either.

I would invest in shares. I also like CSL as an Aust shares choice but I would be looking abroad instead with $100k each in stocks like Amazon, Alibaba, Tencent, Salesforce, ServiceNow and WorkDay.

As I said - I'm no financial expert. Just my opinion.   Nice first world problem to have ! 

How would you feel if you paid $650k for that red 965 and this one is available for $240k NZD.  I'm guessing there are no further fees on that based on my Boxster purchase over there.  It can't be bought back here (yet), so isn't a direct comparison but it's RHD, got relatively low klms and it's way less than half the price of the AU car.  Has the global market spoken?

https://touch.trademe.co.nz/motors/listing/view/1617487290

1 hour ago, Pork Chops said:

How would you feel if you paid $650k for that red 965 and this one is available for $240k NZD.  I'm guessing there are no further fees on that based on my Boxster purchase over there.  It can't be bought back here (yet), so isn't a direct comparison but it's RHD, got relatively low klms and it's way less than half the price of the AU car.  Has the global market spoken?

https://touch.trademe.co.nz/motors/listing/view/1617487290

The one in NZ is a 3.3 Turbo .... the one here is a 3.6 Turbo ....

It's like comparing a '73 longhood RS Carrera and the same car in 74 impact bumper form ... no comparison.

The 3.6 Turbo is far more rare and sought after ....

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 8:16 PM, Dalai said:

If the car is 25 years old and you put it on club plates you don't pay a Transfer fee in Vic. B)

Just saved you $27440. For that I'll happily enjoy a ride around the block as a passenger once you've bought it. :D

Really? You lucky buggers in Vic!!

3 minutes ago, ANF said:

Really? You lucky buggers in Vic!!

Yep, although the savings for me was nowhere near the amount mentioned above, it was a very pleasant surprise when I went in the VicRoads to pick up my club plates! :D

18 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

The one in NZ is a 3.3 Turbo .... the one here is a 3.6 Turbo ....

It's like comparing a '73 longhood RS Carrera and the same car in 74 impact bumper form ... no comparison.

The 3.6 Turbo is far more rare and sought after ....

Yes! Duttons already corrected me on that!

First, the best investment is joining PFA. Not just you get your daily P fix but you get free financial advice which would’ve cost $1,000s from a financial advisor

If you are buying a P car for purely an investment, I would look at the rarest cars I can get that are likely to have the most buyers later. A LHD Speedster of any kind would fit the bill nicely

whether it’s a 356 Speedster, a 911 or a 964, they are all very rare. Move past the “Aussie delivered” slogan. A lhd will have a much much wider audience. You friendly loaded Chinese collector wouldn’t give a rats about an Aussie delivered car

* Information provided is general in nature and does not constitute financial advice!

Need to take into account LuckyPhil's current Risk Profile. Even if the Share options appear sweet, there is a higher level of risk compared to Fixed Interest and as seen in the past has caused much financial pain for people getting closer to retirement . Property does continue to look good, but will take time to turn into ready cash if needed quickly.

As nice as a ride in LuckyPhil's 964 Turbo would be since I saved him the Stamp Duty if he buys as soon as the car hits 25 years ;) it wouldn't be the best place to put money IMO...

in all seriousness, IF you bought a car like that and your primary drive was investment, the question begs...... would you drive it anywhere near it potential or just pootle around nervously hoping nothing goes wrong?

buy a cracking 3.2 or similar , drive the nuts off it and youll still probably come out ahead in two years..with a smile on ya dial

my 2 bobs worthB)