Getting my 1983 911 cab back on the road

AdRock

Yeh, they came with some sort of black coating on them. They were from EBS racing. Not sure of the brand - they were just the generic Steel Studs that he sold me.
Some people suggest that studs break in part due to some corrosion on the stud - I guess if that's true, the coating should help with that - somewhat.

• 2 months later...

Hey team,

Long time between updates.... that doesn't mean that stuff hasn't been getting done!

It's been a year this month since I acquired my Porsche.  I'd hoped that the engine rebuild was only going to take a few months... of course that was never going to be the case!
Lots of little things holding me up along the way.  Often the hold up was me realising I was missing a part or something was not good enough to be reused - so had to order in more parts.

Last week I finally got the cam timing done and installed most of the rocker arms.  Still waiting on a local machine shop to give me back the few that needed rebushing. Now he's gone non-communicado. He'll be getting a visit from me tomorrow  ;)
So, that pretty much means the long block is finished! Yaay!  Can't get the oil cooler on while it is on the stand, so have to wait until it's off the stand for that. Same with the flywheel and clutch.

Next my attention turns to the CIS. I have to install a pop off valve that I purchased.  Should be fun cutting holes in the airbox!
Also purchased a rebuilt WUR as the one in my car was for a turbo car. Probably wasn't going to run that great with that in there.

The fuel lines dont look too bad... if parts were VW prices, I wouldn't think twice about replacing all the rubber fuel hoses, etc.  But looking at the prices on CIS parts, one of the fuel line pieces comes in at about $700!! It would cost at least 2 grand i reckon to replace all the fuel lines.   What have others done in the past? Can you just use the OEM fittings and have replacement rubber hose installed onto the fittings?

Next up is also taking a look at the 915 transmission. It was weeping a fair bit of oil when I pulled it out.  I have a transmission gasket kit, so I'll see how many gaskets and seals I can install without tearing it apart completely.  Whilst I'm fairly confident with engine rebuilding - I have NFI about transmission rebuilds and they scare the crap out of me. Maybe the nuts/bolts just need-re-torquing which is why it was weeping.  I've never driven the car, so I dont know how crunchy the gears are. :)

Being a cabriolet - I've also purchased a brand new top from the US. Fairly reasonably priced when buying through ebay sales. I dont imagine the installation is going to be so reasonably priced.   I weighed up whether to do it myself or not and every forum post that was written by people who have done their own top said they would just pay the money in future and have a pro do it. 

We have Energiser rebuilds..... they just keep going and going :D

For the fuel hoses I think a lot reuse the ends and get new rubber hoses made, well they do for 928s, so should be similar? Being a CIS I am surprised that there would be many rubber hose, my 928 has 2!

13 hours ago, ANF said:

We have Energiser rebuilds..... they just keep going and going :D

For the fuel hoses I think a lot reuse the ends and get new rubber hoses made, well they do for 928s, so should be similar? Being a CIS I am surprised that there would be many rubber hose, my 928 has 2!

Just have to find a place to do it - all of the Pirtek and Enzed stores close to me get absolutely terrible reviews on google. Doesn't fill me with confidence.

There's quite a lot of rubber attached to the CIS on a 83 SC. The main lines from the FD are hard lines, but bits and pieces around it are rubber. Replacement parts are ridiculously priced - even for Porsche!

38 minutes ago, ANF said:

Ask some real people, not google heads!! There must be more than those two to choose from?

Odd that they are so different although the basis is the same....

I live my life based on google reviews! I also go out of my way to leave good reviews when places give good service.

Here's a photo of a CIS I found with all the rubber included

Image result for porsche 911 CIS 83

6 minutes ago, ANF said:

Hang on, how many of those rubber hoses are high pressure? The 928 has a plethora of rubber hoses (mostly vacuum and most can be bought anywhere) but only 2 pressure hoses with fittings.

After looking on the weekend, there were plenty that had special fittings and needed crimping.
Don't know which ones were high pressure... I know which ones were vacuum - they're fine.  - most of the fuel ones weren't simple to replace with generic parts

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/911M/POR_911M_FULFUL_pg2.htm#item2

22 minutes ago, AdRock said:

After looking on the weekend, there were plenty that had special fittings and needed crimping.
Don't know which ones were high pressure... I know which ones were vacuum - they're fine.  - most of the fuel ones weren't simple to replace with generic parts

This guy in the USA has helped me out before on my old SC fuel lines. He knows the variations inside out. 

He sent stuff to me really quickly and is well priced too. .... BUT ... he doesn't use PayPal. If you can work around this somehow to pay him - I thoroughly recommend him.

Heaps of good referrals on P.Parts

Thank you for the referral Dennis, but please delete the 2nd "s" in "sports" engineering. The correct spelling is: Len at Autosportengineering dot com

I 'make to order" custom Fuel Lines and Hoses AND custom Oil Lines and Hoses for Porsches.

I should also mention.......please do not expect an immediate reply from me. I often do not even read my emails the same day. I am retired after 45+ yrs at Auto Sport in Stow, MA, where my son Mark runs the shop. I live in NH, and presently there is no cell or internet service there. I spend a few days each week at the shop in Stow, where I make up hoses and try to aggravate my son a bit. I do this as a "thank you" to the Porsche community for all the pleasure I have had owning and driving these wonderful cars. And I still have my first Porsche (Silver 914-6) bought in 1972.

Len

1 hour ago, Zelrik911 said:

This guy in the USA has helped me out before on my old SC fuel lines. He knows the variations inside out. 

He sent stuff to me really quickly and is well priced too. .... BUT ... he doesn't use PayPal. If you can work around this somehow to pay him - I thoroughly recommend him.

Heaps of good referrals on P.Parts

Legend, thanks mate - just looked him up on Pelican and his work looks great. I'll contact him today and see what he says.

Sounds like the way to go! Will update here as to how I get on.