What do folks here think of the 993 as an investment?

911virgin

And if you drive the car, you need to maintain the car. I've done pretty well on my 964, buying in just before the prices went crazy but I'm pretty sure that If i add up all I have spent on it in the last 3.5 years, I am only just ahead. The value increase certainly makes it easier to justify spending the upkeep money, but it's no investment.

Plus as @clutch-monkey said, only an investment if you sell and unless selling to finance another purchase, it would be difficult to let it go. 

1 hour ago, poli84 said:

And if you drive the car, you need to maintain the car. I've done pretty well on my 964, buying in just before the prices went crazy but I'm pretty sure that If i add up all I have spent on it in the last 3.5 years, I am only just ahead. The value increase certainly makes it easier to justify spending the upkeep money, but it's no investment.

It’s a good point. It's easy to ignore the money that goes into the car once you have it. Now if you chose the right car you could at least avoid going down the rabbit hole of upgrades but – even on a well sorted car – there will be costs, whether they’re basic servicing (yes you could do it yourself but, if you’re protecting your “investment” you’d want the book stamped) and preventative maintenance.

That said, I try to do exactly what I just said I shouldn’t do, which is ignore the money I’ve spent since buying it as much of it has been on voluntary changes. But I’ve still paid a pretty penny on service and preventative maintenance too. 

Like any good investment, I believe this is a train we all wish we had jumped on a few years back. At this stage, I think they’re pobably at best, an asset that will retain its value.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2018 at 10:14 PM, MFX said:

Agreed cars are rarely investments- Interestingly Its seems the 964 has hijacked this conversation which is in keeping with a view held by some over the last few years however I believe that over time the run of the mill 993 will be a highly sought after 911.

Just on the 964/993 debate, I have owned a number of 911s from the early 70's a few G series cars a 90 C2 manual 964 for for 3 years in the late 90's and have great memories of them being a great drivers car and a great looking car to me. I have had a few GT3's since currently owning a 997.2 GT3CS, however I have always lusted after a standard 993 C2 manual which i purchased in the past year.

Why I believe the 993 will be a good place to park some fun money over the coming years

To me the 993 is an extremely attractive car, the design being well resolved and considered, to this day the hips and front end are still present in the silhouette of the current 911. Upon its release the 993 appealed instantly to the majority of  911 lovers and sold extremely well; this affection for the 993 has not really waived some 24 years on seeing most cars being well looked after even to this day;  importantly being serviced properly by accredited service centres.   

Unlike the 964 which tended to fall into the hands of people that stretched to buy there 1st Porsche and most of the time did not value maintaining them to the standard that 993 owners have; utilising non Porsche workshops often. 

The last few years has seen the 964 variant of the 911 regain popularity with the backdate revolution started by companies like Singer whereby the 964's being a cheap car one that was unloved needing major work etc.. made for the perfect donor car to modify... Around the same time there was a real uptick in interest in the long hood cars (pre 74), as these cars became out of reach to most, people started chasing later cars G series cars and the the 964 was thrown into the mix as well - The 993 being similar in look to the current spec cars combined with being expensive already did not experiences the uptick in interest/values as the 964. 

As others have already said this phase is over and we may even see some pulling back in the market as things settle. Reiterating my earlier point cars in general are not investments to the majority of us ... well in a financial sense however they are major investments in our happiness, good luck I hope you find a car that gives you the feeling!!!

Things to note about the 993 which I believe makes me think their day to really shine is in the not to distant future.

- They are extremely well built (last of the hand built)

- Last of the air cooled cars - this mezger engine is bullet proof

- Well loved and maintained - (they probably won't require major mechanical or body repairs to start with)

- Design is well considered and timeless

- Same classic dash and interior for the most part as the original 911 ( makes it feel and smell like a real classic)

- Rarely change hands

- Rarely modded (value perception in delivered original form)

- Rear suspension transforms the handling - they drive beautifully 

- Has that wonderful door thud and the interior has that smell reserved for 911 royalty?

That's all well and good - but you left out the bit that they are in very short supply, particularly in Australia because of the original selling price.

I agree with your assessment and many people will just not get to own a 993 because they are so tightly held.

In other markets the 993 is barely ahead of the 964 in values - for whatever reason it is going through that period where the looks are old without yet being considered classic.

All except the turbo, which are probably one of the most sought after air cooled cars around.

Long term (as in 15 years time) I think the 993 in all its variants will be worth serious money. Most cars will be electric then, so many cashed up people would love to have a car that has the looks and feel of a 993. Especially people who will be about 55 then and were too young/couldn't afford one previously. I sure hope it happens like this anyway!! Whether it does or not, I don't care. I just love driving my car.

• 2 weeks later...

As a 993 owner for a few years now I can say that cars are only an investment in hindsight! Honestly I bought mine when I did because it was when I could get it. Looking at prices these days I'm so very glad I did, and if I sell it now it would be deemed an investment... but looking to buy a car as an investment is a fools game. Buy what you can because it's what you want, not because of what it may be - no-one has a crystal ball.

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2018 at 12:46 PM, SimonN said:

The last time I was told "the horse has bolted" was when I decided not to buy a 993 GT2 for GBP120,000. 

Buying a car just as an investment is only for the super rich who have a diverse portfolio. For the rest of us, buy the car you want and if it goes up. lucky you.

Hahaha too right. The number of cars I passed on over the years makes me cry. Don't buy for investment necessarily but I feel these cars are still solid to keep your money in. As far as 993s go I bought my C4S some ten odd years ago for 103k. It went up to near 300k some 18 months ago and its now at 200k at best. I would have cried if I had bought at 300k hoping for a profit but if holding as something of enjoyment I would not stress as the market down turn yet I truly feel the air cooled cars will go up again over the Long term. 

Archived