Retrimming a '78 911SC - vinyl or leather?

[CatchMe]

Hi all

I'm currently talking to trimmers about redoing the dash (it's wavy and is damaged behind the wheel), door trims (cracked) and roof in my Targa but there seems to be some conjecture on whether we should go with leather or vinyl. The car is a HK delivered, RHD, in special order metallic with tan leather seats. 

Is anyone here an authority on how these cars were originally spec'd?

Long time lurker, first time poster. Thanks in advance!

cp5001186234208816238.jpg

Interior stuff is not my strong area so I'm no good to you. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum and say "sweet looking ride". Reminds me a little of my previous SC, it had the brown interior and it grew on my a great deal over my nine years of ownership.

Thanks Bear924 - it's a riot to drive compared to the other classic in the garage!

@Ozvino - cheers for the link, unfortunately Lakewell don't supply interior components in the cork colour. One product did seem to suggest the dash is leather covered if the car had the leather option. Is there anyway to tell this without the COA?

In answer to the question of the leather dash, in later models you could read the option codes, but I don't think so in an SC.   The best answer to whether it came with a leather dash is to ... look at the dash covering.

From what I have read leather dashes came with/without stitching as well so you might have both.

It was an option even in the turbo cars so I think anyone could order any 911 with 'full leather' if they wanted.  A standard SC had no leather, then there is leather seats (and vinyl back seats/door trims) and full leather which covers everything.  At least the steering wheel always got leather.

As for what you should do...if you want to stick to original, then find rplacement parts.  A lot of coupe cars kept in colder climates still have/had good interior pieces, and cork was a popular color in the day - you might find good door tops around.

The dash - if you retrim in leather you're going to need to take a lot of care of it in the aussie sun.   Vinyl retrims are more durable, but do they look and feel as nice?  Only you can decide!

It’s possible to option up to whatever level you want.  For example, my SC has full cow everything.  Seats, doors, dash, parcel shelf etc. Even the headliner, I’ve never seen another done in perforated leather before. 

If the dash is already leather in your car then that’s likely how it came from the factory.  I’d be replacing with similar trim if it’s originality that you’re after. 

1 hour ago, Harvs11 said:

It’s possible to option up to whatever level you want.  For example, my SC has full cow everything.  Seats, doors, dash, parcel shelf etc. Even the headliner, I’ve never seen another done in perforated leather before. 

I don't want you to feel all alone on the ledge there mate .... I too have a perforated leather headliner ... :Beer:

Archived