Left, Right, or Converted?

acf321

Hi Folks, 

I'm sorry if this has been addressed before now, however I am wondering what the demand is like for LHD cars in Australia.

I am looking (and loving) a long hood 911, BUT it's LHD. I'm trying to find out how many people actually drive LHD cars here in Australia, and is it the taboo that is once was? Aside from now redundant toll booths, is there an obvious NO NO to owning LHD in Australia? 

Alternatively, is a Left to Right conversion ... if done to a very high standard a major issue?

Just wondering what the experts are saying, and doing? 

Cheers

Adam

Depends on the car and the width pillar size if you ask me. In a 911 being so narrow not as bad. Big yank car say even a mustang the pillars suck when your turning left. 

Overtaking you can’t see around. I’ve seen a Camaro driver put his wife in hospital, neck brace in a stretcher of to the ambo, due to over taking in a 60 zone and not seeing a car was up ahead which was stationary waiting to turn. Made a meal of the car and his wife.

And if you’re a Big Mac guy well have a think when you go through the drive through. 

Converting is sacrificing the factory soul and does devalue. But if you’re gonna take the car to the grave well it’s increasing value for you. 

A lot of car Restos import LHD cars from Japan, etc and convert them... my hotrod is converted and it feels just fine. It was checked at ppi and passed ok. But if you're looking at a stock car but just LHD, not a good thing to convert... unless it's a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a different experiece driving a lefty, yet when it comes down to the brass tax, it's still a Porsche.

Personally, I didn't like it when I had my 912, yet owners of LHD swear by them, so you have to try it first to see whether you like it. Converted cars are fine if they're done right, yet they do attract a lower price to an Oz delivered car when trying to sell, usually around 20-30%. If you don't mind that it's converted, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, yet others do treat them as the bastard child

A converted car is worth similar to a LHD car, so it is definitely not a good financial decision to convert a car. I personally prefer a RHD car in a RHD country, and I have a converted car. Basically buy the car you want and leave it as it comes. I personally think a good converted car is the best value out there, and that paying 50% more for something that is Aussie delivered is madness, but that is just me. 

Cost of conversion = $$$$

the parts bill alone is going to be more than the difference in a good rhd, especially in a 911.

if you had the tools and a half cut you could do it yourself but paying someone to do it these days would be a lot.

leave the lhds be is the best idea.

they are fun to drive, just a different skill set to learn.

as far as demand it is much lower but they do get bought and sold.

When I had my 912 I got a quote to convert it back to LHD & it was 17k (about 5 years ago). I would assume 20-25 to do it right....I agree with comments above, if it’s a quality LHD car & you love it don’t bother...ha ha....if you really want RHD however & happy to burn the money there is no shame in driving a converted car. I have one original RHD and one converted car & unless I told you you wouldn’t know. Good luck....

there is a LHD car for sale in Brisbane

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1991/SSE-AD-5084654/?_ga=2.215994903.1272574416.1525516811-867523927.1492971394

can't get it registered until its 30 years old

so store, or only track it,  for 3 &  half years

or convert it

1 hour ago, brian in buddina said:

there is a LHD car for sale in Brisbane

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1991/SSE-AD-5084654/?_ga=2.215994903.1272574416.1525516811-867523927.1492971394

can't get it registered until its 30 years old

so store, or only track it,  for 3 &  half years

or convert it

I believe as it is a personal import with a compliance plate and already registered you can re-register it with no issues.

I have 2 LHD cars and another one on the way. 

• overtaking - just don't be a dick head and it is fine. You see less, so take care
  • Boom gates - pain in the arse-but I have recently successfully trained my 5 year old to  take care of the tickets now
  • Maccas... less of that is not a bad thing

if it gets you into a P-car at a better value, whats the harm?

Ok what would you guys value a LHD 83 SC, GP white with tail.  Fully original down to the radio, sports seats, 144k miles, very clean and tidy but with one door needing a repaint because of a prior repair. AC removed but parts in a box.  If it was on carsales, what would you expect to see.

This has been a fantastic thread guys, appreciate everything written on the conversion / not idea. I have just been in the US and drove 500hp Camaro SS, from San Deigo to LA. Gotta say,  the LHD experience was not my first, and I genuinely enjoyed driving on the left side. I've driven across Europe in manuals too, not an issue. The issue appears to be that this market is not used to them, and I personally think the discount to RHD is a wonderful opportunity to buy and enjoy a Porsche, the way they drive them in the Motherland. 

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

Ok what would you guys value a LHD 83 SC, GP white with tail.  Fully original down to the radio, sports seats, 144k miles, very clean and tidy but with one door needing a repaint because of a prior repair. AC removed but parts in a box.  If it was on carsales, what would you expect to see.

45k... but you can just forward me the details

?

I've got LHD and RHD

It makes absolutely no difference at all. Overtaking is fine if you're doing it right.

If it gets you into a good car cheaper, all the better.

1 hour ago, GUT said:

I've got LHD and RHD

It makes absolutely no difference at all. Overtaking is fine if you're doing it right.

If it gets you into a good car cheaper, all the better.

Do you ever mistakenly get in the wrong side and pretend you are looking in the glovebox so you don’t look like nong?

2 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

Do you ever mistakenly get in the wrong side and pretend you are looking in the glovebox so you don’t look like nong?

I did that when I got the 912 inspected. I am a nong though, so it's no surprise really

7 hours ago, Gsaps said:

45k... but you can just forward me the details

?

Ha there was a rusty LHD non-runner that went on eBay for $42k 

Cant share the details ...  working on softening the owner up

8 hours ago, Coastr said:

Ha there was a rusty LHD non-runner that went on eBay for $42k 

Cant share the details ...  working on softening the owner up

Also a year back on CS there was a very reasonable Japanese lefty good runner and mostly original with 100 odd miles that sat around 54 - 56k for a month or 2 then sold ...

Archived