911 Turbo - still desirable?

On 5/10/2018 at 6:02 PM, hugh said:

I see it as more of a limit of liability in terms of trying to protect every moron for killing themselves. Agree it ruins it for the rest of us! :lol:

Just come back from Mt Cotton. Stage 1 Porsche training (xmas present from the wife). 

They mentioned that they used to have a turbo as part of the stage 1 line up but too many people planted their foot down unaware of the fuck me acceleration and promptly took it into the nearest ditch. I sold my 997tt because it was too fast. The latest version is insane. 

The turbo 'was' iconic. It was a unique offer in the line up that required respect. Unfortunately now it is just the fasted, easiest Porsche to drive for those that like heated seats and the idea that they can do sub 3 secs, but never will.

A bit outrageous on the road. Needs taming but comfortable lux interior....The GT3 is the new Turbo, just doesn't have one ;) 

Agree the 997tt is too fast...for commuting, posing and driving the kid to the cafe...which is essentially what I do with mine 95% of the time.

However, on the rare weekend that I get to take it for a dedicated “drive”, it’s fantastic. Brutal acceleration, instant throttle response, and sharp direct handling when sports mode is on. 

Many times, I’ve contemplated selling but after driving it back to back with any other model tyrekicked (996gt3/c2, 964c2) I’m not sure any one car can do the same job better thana manual turbo. 

Is real world desirability the same as forum desirability? Not sure but 1 imported 997tt manual on Carsales, 3-4 listed In the last 8 months have all gone within 2 weeks. 

The only problem is despite how good it is I still want every car I’ve ever looked at and tested...

2 hours ago, turboT said:

A bit outrageous on the road. Needs taming but comfortable lux interior....The GT3 is the new Turbo, just doesn't have one ;) 

agree with this, GT3's used to be hardcore, turbo's used to be a bit more pared down. now the turbo's are luxo cars with road melting performance and you can daily a Gt3.

so if anyone wants to offload their turbo i'll take it off your hands for cheap.. ?

997 Turbo weapons grade toy, I think the issue with the GT3, too long to wind up compared to boost.

I have driven one a lot and still like it on the road for quick blasts.

997 is top car in TT or GT3 form and buton  some levels the TT holding its money in recent times better.

20 hours ago, clutch-monkey said:

agree with this, GT3's used to be hardcore, turbo's used to be a bit more pared down. now the turbo's are luxo cars with road melting performance and you can daily a Gt3.

so if anyone wants to offload their turbo i'll take it off your hands for cheap.. ?

Somebody on PFA once described the early air cooled Turbo as a "Luxo barge"

Nothing's changed then ?

If you want luxury, buy the Turbo.

If you want boy racer, where all luxury has been removed, buy the GT3

Less costs more

On 10 May 2018 at 5:55 PM, Redracn said:

I think Porsche are loosing the plot when it comes to the 991 turbo. While an ok sports car when you push the sport button they are nothing more than white goods  when you start them up. Items like coasting, start stop, virtual gearbox, economy shift patterns and not being able to turn stability and traction control fully off are the exact opposite of what a sports car should be.

The GT department is keeping the Porsche of old alive by shunning all of the above crap but for how much longer who knows. 

I tend to agree with this.  Don't get me wrong.  They are beautiful and amazing cars.  I took a current model (not the S ) for a drive a couple of months ago in Melb.  It was great but I felt like something was missing.  I am biased because I have a 996tt that I just love driving.  It feels like a beast wanting to get away from me all the time.  The current model is so much more refined as to be .... too refined ??   I also had the opportunity to drive another forum member's 1986 930 Turbo a few weeks ago.  It was very different to mine but I loved it as well.  And that wide crazy ass body is super hot !  I thing I love the older models more and of course I am biased with my opinion.  I would love to drive a new GT3.  I would imagine it would be insane.

11 hours ago, Thommo66 said:

I tend to agree with this.  Don't get me wrong.  They are beautiful and amazing cars.  I took a current model (not the S ) for a drive a couple of months ago in Melb.  It was great but I felt like something was missing.  I am biased because I have a 996tt that I just love driving.  It feels like a beast wanting to get away from me all the time.  The current model is so much more refined as to be .... too refined ??   I also had the opportunity to drive another forum member's 1986 930 Turbo a few weeks ago.  It was very different to mine but I loved it as well.  And that wide crazy ass body is super hot !  I thing I love the older models more and of course I am biased with my opinion.  I would love to drive a new GT3.  I would imagine it would be insane.

Is it a problem with the customers or a problem with the cars?

Maybe the issue is most of the people buying aren’t really interested in actual sports cars.

Could it also be that the Turbo and Turbo S simply aren’t new right now and, for the past nearly 12 months the GT department have been peppering us with shiny, new baubles in the  GT2RS, new GT3 and now GT3RS? 

12 hours ago, Thommo66 said:

I am biased because I have a 996tt that I just love driving.  It feels like a beast wanting to get away from me all the time.  The current model is so much more refined as to be .... too refined ??  

I must admit to not having driven a 6tt .. however reading the reviews of the day, they was also criticised for being too civil. That said, I'm of the view that as a general rule, the 996 series of 911s were the end of an era, as much as they were the start of one. One aspect was the analogue nature of the cars and perhaps a certain simplicity in design. As you move into the later 996 and 997 series, the cars all became more and more electronically advanced which add a degree of complexity (which matters as the cars become classics and stuff begins to break) and moves the ownership of keeping the black on the black, moves from the driver to the car. 

An interesting side note about the 996 turbo that I didn't know until reading 'Porsche Turbo' by Leffingwell, was that the marketing group at Porsche decided that as the base 996 was so fast, it would be silly to produce a turbo model. Therefore when the 996 was released, there were no plans to introduce a turbo model and the 996 engine was not designed for turbo charging. That was why the standard 996 engine (M96??) was not used in the turbo. The amusing thing is that the marketing people probably inevitably 'saved' the turbo as it instead utilised the Metzger engine which tied the car back to motor sport and also allowed it to avoid all the IMS related failures.

Archived