Which Porsche GT car?

DJM

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, symsy said:

Thems fighting words!! Dont confuse the fella.. we nearly closed him ..money he can make that .. 991 instant gratification .. he cant flip it when hes done , chuck it in as a sweetner on a Toorak mansion to a big buyer or something, he needs a 991 to get quickly to his site inspections.

Launch control mandatory for all client meeting departures. 

Bbbbbbbbbbbllllllaaaasrrrrrmmmmmpphh! 

10 hours ago, hugh said:

Ok, I'll bite........ 

I'd suggest an AC hotrod but to get the same level of speed/drivability to what you can get out of a 996 it's a no brainer. 

Was thinking the same thing Hugh.

@DJM have a chat to @symsy buy this very accomplished, light and well set up ex track car, now comes with wider seats, rear aero wing and a half cage.

Drop in this built 993 3.8, also talk to @symsy then go embarrass some GT3s and save some $$

The blue car above, I have driven it, and it is sensational! Looks the biz too. LOTS of cash has been spent on chassis and suspension. @Fraz has done a great job of cleaning it up too. Best speak to @DHE11 if interested, as he was the bloke responsible for making my car feel very inadequate ?

Thanks guys, my thoughts on options discussed above.

996TT targa car - I think NA RWD GT car is where my head is at.  Otherwise I should have kept the GT2.  So that's out.

AC hotrod, - heart says YES, head says no, another modified bitza with headaches in reliability, maintenance, setup etc.. 

GT4 - potential 3rd gear issue, no cage/harness and the "it's not a 911" factor all suggest move it on given track duty is calling..and don't bother with AH car

996 GT3 - I can't get my head around 150-160 for one of these, becaus I neglected to buy one at $85k.  Fine for a road going minter but as a track hack, I'd be better with a cup car for $90k less.  

997 GT3 - as above plus $20-30k

991 GT3 - I wouldn't have given a second thought to one for the reasons Hugh mentioned BUT when i drove  one late last year on track i was amazed at how fast, raw and aggressive the thing was......stock.  Looking from the outside you'd think meh, too sterile but l loved driving it.  Maybe the venue is skewing my recollection.  

Clearly Cup car is where the value is at.  You could drive one hard as hell without worrying too much.  PCV site has 3 X 996s and a 997, all around $75k some with fresh engines and gearboxes and one with a trailer.  Absolute bargain in relative terms. 

http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/6207108DDB3DB489C12581EC002ABDEE#pagetop

http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/297CF255723C2803C1258286007A8C42#pagetop

So, here's an option.  sell GT4 & Mazda , trade the Q7 on a daily that's fun for the odd weekend blast, maybe a used M3 Comp or Giulia QV, and buy a Cup car for $75k. My maths says that's $100k less invested than where I sit now ?and $200k less invested than 991 path.??

the weekend drives are very infrequent, life gets in the way (& cops!)

i need to know more about cup cars - lap times, are they difficult to drive quickly,  running costs, adjustment/setup. I just want to turn up and drive, pack up and and go home and maybe get it serviced couple of times a year.

@James P @spiller sell me on the Cup car experience

9 hours ago, LeeM said:

Ex Fitzgerald 944 Turbo. 300hp and sorted for $60k ?? (if it's still available at Richmonds) 

$30k maybe.  If $60k id rather spend $75k on cup car.

9 hours ago, hugh said:

Ok, I'll bite........

If I know you well enough I'd disagree with a 991 being the car for you. Yes it's fast but too sterile for you.  I'd also doubt you'll really punt a 250+k car at 10/10ths and I've never seen you drive at anything less. 

What is your concern.  $300k car is still worth $35k after an off. ?

http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/A9EFE1139F3C54C2C125827900286316#pagetop

another way of looking at it is I could buy a Cup, write if off, buy another, write that off, then a 3rd and a 4th before I've equaled the cost of a 991 write off.  Hmm, puts $ in perspective.

13 hours ago, Redracn said:

Forgot to add don't track a GT4 unless it is under warranty or the 3rd gear issue is fully sorted. I personally know of a number of them that have had the problem. 

3rd gear issue only affects a small batch of 2016 manufactured ones, I forget which month/s build is affected.

Besides don't all cars have a few issues.

13 hours ago, DJM said:

I know someone with a track developed 997 GT3 and he said today a well driven GT4 is just as fast as his car.  

??

Tough decision but a good place to be Doug, quite interesting with your comment above.

Ok you sound like your clear  .. how much for the Q7 and RX tow car combo..and a loan of the GT4 ;)  

What you gonna tow the cup car with .. ?

You keep talking about the money.. you can make that .. its time you cant make.. you need instant gratification… hunt for a 991.

A 991 can be a daily !

You are already in deep my friend , may as well go large and life would get real simple.

Just think you save and hour every track visit no loading time :) 

Or get down to the Masser club days .. I dont know the lady .. but spoke to her  white 997.2 Turbo with mods (Fitzgerald Prep Car) , said she had sold a GT3 and preffered it.. @Hugh will know who she is .. that looked like a very nice compromise and another path to consider.

and yes @spiller @James P ..lets here it.

I forecast Doug will buy a new car before @Porkchops declares his hotrod colour

1 hour ago, DJM said:

Thanks guys, my thoughts on options discussed above.

996TT targa car - I think NA RWD GT car is where my head is at.  Otherwise I should have kept the GT2.  So that's out.

AC hotrod, - heart says YES, head says no, another modified bitza with headaches in reliability, maintenance, setup etc.. 

GT4 - potential 3rd gear issue, no cage/harness and the "it's not a 911" factor all suggest move it on given track duty is calling..and don't bother with AH car

996 GT3 - I can't get my head around 150-160 for one of these, becaus I neglected to buy one at $85k.  Fine for a road going minter but as a track hack, I'd be better with a cup car for $90k less.  

997 GT3 - as above plus $20-30k

991 GT3 - I wouldn't have given a second thought to one for the reasons Hugh mentioned BUT when i drove  one late last year on track i was amazed at how fast, raw and aggressive the thing was......stock.  Looking from the outside you'd think meh, too sterile but l loved driving it.  Maybe the venue is skewing my recollection.  

Clearly Cup car is where the value is at.  You could drive one hard as hell without worrying too much.  PCV site has 3 X 996s and a 997, all around $75k some with fresh engines and gearboxes and one with a trailer.  Absolute bargain in relative terms. 

http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/6207108DDB3DB489C12581EC002ABDEE#pagetop

http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/297CF255723C2803C1258286007A8C42#pagetop

So, here's an option.  sell GT4 & Mazda , trade the Q7 on a daily that's fun for the odd weekend blast, maybe a used M3 Comp or Giulia QV, and buy a Cup car for $75k. My maths says that's $100k less invested than where I sit now ?and $200k less invested than 991 path.??

the weekend drives are very infrequent, life gets in the way (& cops!)

i need to know more about cup cars - lap times, are they difficult to drive quickly,  running costs, adjustment/setup. I just want to turn up and drive, pack up and and go home and maybe get it serviced couple of times a year.

@James P @spiller sell me on the Cup car experience

$30k maybe.  If $60k id rather spend $75k on cup car.

What is your concern.  $300k car is still worth $35k after an off. ?

http://www.pcv.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_victoria/pc_main.nsf/web/A9EFE1139F3C54C2C125827900286316#pagetop

another way of looking at it is I could buy a Cup, write if off, buy another, write that off, then a 3rd and a 4th before I've equaled the cost of a 991 write off.  Hmm, puts $ in perspective.

I raced a 996 Cup Car for 3 years.  Tricky at the at the limit but exhilarating.  My best at Winton in one is a high 1.24.  PI, mid 1.36.  Compare that to the time I did in the 11 Cup of a low 1.33 and well, the 996 is still very quick.  PM me With your mobile number and I’ll give you a run down.  

Consumable costs are pretty stiff.  Engine top end rebuild 25k, full 40.   Gearbox refresh 7 K, full rebuild 12.  Both of those price brackets assume the job is done properly.  

The ones on the market at 70 would need work as they’ll be tired.  Make sure you take anything you look at to someone who knows Cup cars and get all the service and rebuild info from the vendor (and then do the DD to confirm the story - it’s a race car ...) experience tells me that no one sells one of those at those prices having just piled cash into the sink or gearbox.  

Wise words above... 

There are some good Cups for sale but not on the open market PM me for details as a lot get traded off market 

History & inspection is essential on all of them 

3 hours ago, wirthO said:

I dont get what the point is owning a GT4 if you're not tracking it?!

Exactly the question I’m asking above.  I have a track car that’s going and so do I now track the GT4 or sell it to get into something better setup for track work.  The main shortcomings of my car is no cage.  Madness if you track regularly.

im sure you are aware there are a significant proportion of GT cars that never see the track, i assume largely due to the stigma attached on resale.

1 hour ago, DJM said:

Exactly the question I’m asking above.  I have a track car that’s going and so do I now track the GT4 or sell it to get into something better setup for track work.  The main shortcomings of my car is no cage.  Madness if you track regularly.

im sure you are aware there are a significant proportion of GT cars that never see the track, i assume largely due to the stigma attached on resale.

Mine have never been on a track. Ever.  Like never ever.  Why would you?  Seriously?

I swear Your Honour, my GT’s wouldn’t know an apex if they drove over one.

It’d be plain stupid to use them in that way.  Much better under a car cover in a humidor.

sheesh ....

I still reckon a 991 GT3 is the go.  

Does the weekend runs and spirited drives and is a blast on the track and faster than the 3 pedal cars due to the PDK.

The lack of cars for sale with half cages is worrying I agree, I asked PR technology (in Sydney) and they said we did get cars with them.  Probably just need to hold out for a clubsport as its not worth retrofitting the seats cost wise unless you get one with the sport/comfort seats for a big discount.  A few of us priced a set of seats and I think they'd run 15k landed for the folding buckets so could be worth considering if you can get a touring at a steep discount if adding the seats still puts you in front.

AGI locally do a harness bar for the 991 for about $800, or you could track down a tequipment one. 

June 30th looms, super fund shuffles, balance sheet shuffles and the 991.2 orders still not all delivered.. there will be more .. 

That said .. if thats the plan get move on the GT4..ASAP.  Or get a yourself into heart to heart convo with your favourite Porsche dealer and have one  lined up .. surely none of them want these 200k+ cars on their floor plan.. The GT4 easier for them to move.

They are more into the new new thing

Update, Mazda is sold with trailer.  Good result, quick and easy transaction from interstate, sight unseen.  Obviously you don't recover what you invest with race cars but given I declared the busted gearbox, I'm happy to have it sold 24h after posting and pretty much at asking price.  He wanted the trailer, so be it, easily replaced if needed.

I reckon I'll clear the garage, flip the Q7 into something a bit more interesting for my daily and then sit tight for a bit.  I need to move a little slower than usual, think through what I really need and then wait for the RIGHT car.  GT4 is a cracking drive and while it's been fun, it doesn't seem to fit my direction. 

it seems a 996 Cup could be had for $50s for an untidy one to maybe mid $60s for a pretty good one, some with a trailer.  Probably prefer H pattern 996 box over 997 sequential.  Handling wise I don't think I'll be that close the limit to notice 996 bump steer issues at the rear.  Supposed running costs horror stories seem to be over stated.  Capable of mid 1:30s ? So running around in low to mid 40s would be fast, fun and low risk.  So it's hard to see how one of those could be a bad thing.  Nor could you imagine they would get much cheaper. Would be good to get up close to a couple of 996 & 997 Cups at track days. 

1 hour ago, symsy said:

June 30th looms, super fund shuffles, balance sheet shuffles and the 991.2 orders still not all delivered.. there will be more .. 

That said .. if thats the plan get move on the GT4..ASAP.  Or get a yourself into heart to heart convo with your favourite Porsche dealer and have one  lined up .. surely none of them want these 200k+ cars on their floor plan.. The GT4 easier for them to move.

They are more into the new new thing

agree, expected 991.1s to drop further by now, I assume they have a fall ahead as more get traded.

meanwhile are there any opportunities to track drive a rental GT3 like you can in Europe.  I assume only porsche courses, no private rental companies here? 

3 hours ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Probably just need to hold out for a clubsport as its not worth retrofitting the seats cost wise unless you get one with the sport/comfort seats for a big discount.  A few of us priced a set of seats and I think they'd run 15k landed for the folding buckets so could be worth considering if you can get a touring at a steep discount if adding the seats still puts you in front.

If there is a 991 in my future, it has to be clubsport rather than stuffing around with aftermarket bits.  That's a primary reason for not tracking GT4, I know a couple of events in I will be seriously thinking half cage, seat and harness.  And we all know non factory mods to late model cars is like acne and a moustache on a supermodel.

You’ll love the cup car. Not cheap to run by any stretch but as with anything, there’s an expensive way to do it, and a more economical way to do it. Arrive and drive certainly wouldn’t be economical but with a bit of learning through asking lots of questions (being a PITA like I am),  and a mechanic you trust, you should be able to run it on your own at track days without too much stress. There does seem to be a lot of variance with what people quote for engine and gearbox work...I dipped into the gearbox on my road car and it was not fun. Careful with those gear changes :).

You can’t drive them on Sunday mornings but they’re still fun to stare at 

5_BC76012-5_BCD-4879-_AE78-601_C77_A7172

42 minutes ago, spiller said:

Not cheap to run by any stretch but as with anything, there’s an expensive way to do it, and a more economical way to do it. Arrive and drive certainly wouldn’t be economical

I think you will find the cost to run a 996 cup will be similar as a road going 996 GT3 if they are used in the same way

Arrive & drive can be economical if your in Melbourne & you know the right people :cool07:

Archived