Buying a 986

Daly87

Hey guys, I asked a question regarding the work done to a 986 on my newbie thread.

Just in case it gets missed by the people more knowledgeable on the 986 I thought I could ask here too... would the repairs to a transmission 1/2nd synchro, cone rings and second gear cause concerns for an abused Boxster?

it has receipts for nearly $13k less than 10k km ago. Major service, bleed brakes, inspect clutch (not replaced as apparently it was OK?), repair transmission, castor arms, cv boots, cull ceramic IMS (aparrantly he explained its not the usually ceramic bearing but full ceramic housing?) RMS.

new roof with glass/demister.

Pressurised oil accumulator?

it also says that compression was excellent but cylinder 2 & 3 we’re down a pound or two - is this within acceptable tolerances?

im not sure if they can be seen as good or as an abused car. Cosmetically it’s great, one of the best iv inspected.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly it looks like a very tidy car. I own a first year 2.5 but there are a lot of similarities in terms of the maintenance I did to prolong my cars life and what your prospective car has. Doesn't sound abused but these things happen when a car is close to 20 years old. I'd buy 

14 hours ago, Daly87 said:

Hey guys, I asked a question regarding the work done to a 986 on my newbie thread.

Just in case it gets missed by the people more knowledgeable on the 986 I thought I could ask here too... would the repairs to a transmission 1/2nd synchro, cone rings and second gear cause concerns for an abused Boxster?

it has receipts for nearly $13k less than 10k km ago. Major service, bleed brakes, inspect clutch (not replaced as apparently it was OK?), repair transmission, castor arms, cv boots, cull ceramic IMS (aparrantly he explained its not the usually ceramic bearing but full ceramic housing?) RMS.

new roof with glass/demister.

Pressurised oil accumulator?

it also says that compression was excellent but cylinder 2 & 3 we’re down a pound or two - is this within acceptable tolerances?

im not sure if they can be seen as good or as an abused car. Cosmetically it’s great, one of the best iv inspected.

1st and 2nd get the most use so not really a cause for concern if its been repaired correctly (by someone/place reputable), has receipts and drives well.

What you want to check is the over revs in the DME and when/if they occurred. If there are type 2 over revs under 120 hours ago, Porsche classifies that as an engine "at risk" past 120 hours it's in the clear - that is for catastrophic damage.

Also not sure what a "ceramic housing" but that doesn't sound like a valid comment. The two models of the most reputable IMSB seller (LN engineering) are the IMS Retrofit - hybrid ceramic coated ball bearing design to replace the existing IMSB (has service interval) or the IMS solution which has a direct oil feed and is a plain bearing (without a service interval). 

Not sure about the compression figures, if I get time i'll look it up in POSES (workshop manual).

Sure it's a nice car and perhaps above average condition, but many of the items mentioned in the advert are what would need to be done to a car with that mileage.

For the price, you should be able to get a v.good series 2 with perhaps lower miles. I reckon it is about $5~7K over priced, so factor that in.

17 hours ago, Daly87 said:

A pound or two is nothing to worry about.

Not too sure about that IMS bearing it looks like a single row as if it was a dual row in place of a single row (like the LN IMS Pro retrofit) it wouldn't be able to fit a sir clip back in.

From my brief research it might be one of these:

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD10590103/intermediate-shaft-ims-repair-kit-m96single-row-ceramic.html

IMO that bearing is inferior to the LN single row pro retrofit. It is cheaper though. 

7 hours ago, dan_189 said:

1st and 2nd get the most use so not really a cause for concern if its been repaired correctly (by someone/place reputable), has receipts and drives well.

What you want to check is the over revs in the DME and when/if they occurred. If there are type 2 over revs under 120 hours ago, Porsche classifies that as an engine "at risk" past 120 hours it's in the clear - that is for catastrophic damage.

Also not sure what a "ceramic housing" but that doesn't sound like a valid comment. The two models of the most reputable IMSB seller (LN engineering) are the IMS Retrofit - hybrid ceramic coated ball bearing design to replace the existing IMSB (has service interval) or the IMS solution which has a direct oil feed and is a plain bearing (without a service interval). 

Not sure about the compression figures, if I get time i'll look it up in POSES (workshop manual).

Thanks for the reply. all work is done by a reputable garage, except the IMS bearing, that's done by a company I am not aware of same company that installed the oil accumulator https://www.facebook.com/213397222190142/photos/pcb.645910072272186/645909825605544/?type=3&theater.

I tried to contact the garage to find out about what IMS bearing was used but the owner is away at the moment.

3 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Not too sure about that IMS bearing it looks like a single row as if it was a dual row in place of a single row (like the LN IMS Pro retrofit) it wouldn't be able to fit a sir clip back in.

From my brief research it might be one of these:

https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD10590103/intermediate-shaft-ims-repair-kit-m96single-row-ceramic.html

IMO that bearing is inferior to the LN single row pro retrofit. It is cheaper though. 

I tried to contact the mechanic that did the installation, he is not available. The owner tried telling me he was told that the IMS was fully ceramic and not a hybrid (ceramic bearings and SS casing) like the others, he didn't know what supplier but was told it was of German build. If inferior does that mean the problem is not eliminated?

I don't know too much about the risks involved in the different bearings/companies. You would assume it would last at least until the next clutch change???

6 hours ago, 42 South said:

Sure it's a nice car and perhaps above average condition, but many of the items mentioned in the advert are what would need to be done to a car with that mileage.

For the price, you should be able to get a v.good series 2 with perhaps lower miles. I reckon it is about $5~7K over priced, so factor that in.

thanks, your on the money for what is agreed.

Accusump is a reputable product in the US but mostly installed for track cars (from what i've read) to me its odd that its been installed. That aside it could be seen as a bonus.

As for the bearing, no ball bearing is a lifetime solution, only the IMS solution has no service interval. The issue is that yes its of a hight build quality than standard but its still a single row bearing, it should last until the next clutch change. At which point i'd consider the LN retrofit or solution.

Unfortunately can't comment on price as I don't watch the Boxster market that closely but maybe offer the "standard 5%" off the asking price and I think you're good to go. There are other decent models from my quick search but none in NSW!

11 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Accusump is a reputable product in the US but mostly installed for track cars (from what i've read) to me its odd that its been installed. That aside it could be seen as a bonus.

As for the bearing, no ball bearing is a lifetime solution, only the IMS solution has no service interval. The issue is that yes its of a hight build quality than standard but its still a single row bearing, it should last until the next clutch change. At which point i'd consider the LN retrofit or solution.

Unfortunately can't comment on price as I don't watch the Boxster market that closely but maybe offer the "standard 5%" off the asking price and I think you're good to go. There are other decent models from my quick search but none in NSW!

Yeah I tried reading about that, I am really not sure why he had it installed?? He seems to think its for cold starts when he hasn't used it for a long time?

I would love to get your idea of the decent models from your search. I have looked at other states but couldn't pick a winner in the price range that had the amount of preventative maintenance done.

appreciate a private message if you think I should consider any you found.

22 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Yeah I tried reading about that, I am really not sure why he had it installed?? He seems to think its for cold starts when he hasn't used it for a long time?

I would love to get your idea of the decent models from your search. I have looked at other states but couldn't pick a winner in the price range that had the amount of preventative maintenance done.

appreciate a private message if you think I should consider any you found.

Unfortunately i'm no 986 model or price expert but what I can help with is anything that overlaps with the 996! Which is actually quite a bit.

In terms of the search I did, I considered age vs. kms vs. options (e.g. colour and interior colour) really comes down to what you're wanting to spend and what you want.

My advice is keep 5k aside for maintenance items - clutch, IMS, water pump, coolant tank, starter motor, engine mounts etc. all the things you may start to possibly find post-purchase. 

Get a PPI done and also watch the videos that have been made by PCNA on Youtube about buying a 996 (even though you're looking at a 986) you'll get some great tips out of it.

I posted them somewhere on here once, ill see if I can find them.

2 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Unfortunately i'm no 986 model or price expert but what I can help with is anything that overlaps with the 996! Which is actually quite a bit.

In terms of the search I did, I considered age vs. kms vs. options (e.g. colour and interior colour) really comes down to what you're wanting to spend and what you want.

My advice is keep 5k aside for maintenance items - clutch, IMS, water pump, coolant tank, starter motor, engine mounts etc. all the things you may start to possibly find post-purchase. 

Get a PPI done and also watch the videos that have been made by PCNA on Youtube about buying a 996 (even though you're looking at a 986) you'll get some great tips out of it.

I posted them somewhere on here once, ill see if I can find them.

Thank you! I’ll search for the videos. I feel like I have probably nearly watched everything available on YouTube for the 986 now haha

I have kept the items you mentioned in my mind, I have pointed my attention to this one in particular as he is the only one who mentions that this work has been done. 

PPI will be done, at the cost of $850 for a full day testing with compression tests and accident history etc to $450 for a 3hrs inspection.

8 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Thank you! I’ll search for the videos. I feel like I have probably nearly watched everything available on YouTube for the 986 now haha

I have kept the items you mentioned in my mind, I have pointed my attention to this one in particular as he is the only one who mentions that this work has been done. 

PPI will be done, at the cost of $850 for a full day testing with compression tests and accident history etc to $450 for a 3hrs inspection.

You're welcome, if you cant find them let me know ill post them.

Who's doing the PPI? $850 is expensive, I think Porsche only charge $500 (that was awhile back through) 

7 hours ago, dan_189 said:

You're welcome, if you cant find them let me know ill post them.

Who's doing the PPI? $850 is expensive, I think Porsche only charge $500 (that was awhile back through) 

PR Technologies. They are expensive but the most thorough out of them all needing the car for a full day... compression checks, data base checks etc

The other guys just took if for a drive and a look over, duration 3hrs.

Pretty keen yeah, but it’s by no means because it IS the best one on the market, just because it’s one I like... You should never buy with emotion I hear though haha. 

Hopefully I’ll be posting pictures soon

41 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Pretty keen yeah, but it’s by no means because it IS the best one on the market, just because it’s one I like... You should never buy with emotion I hear though haha. 

Hopefully I’ll be posting pictures soon

Good luck! 

5 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Well, I guess it wasn’t my time. I went to secure the car and I was beat to it by just hours! The hunt continues ?

Bad luck, but I'm sure there's another, better one just around the corner......

Here's one outta left field, and I do mean left! That interior-   umm yeah hmmm aaah yep sorta mmmm nah aaw nope no NO! I still sorta do like it just not in that car. Would look great in Taffy's jellybean:CoolDance:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/darwin-cbd/cars-vans-utes/porsche-boxster-3-2s/1184277149

• $_20.JPG

13 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Here's one outta left field, and I do mean left! That interior-   umm yeah hmmm aaah yep sorta mmmm nah aaw nope no NO! I still sorta do like it just not in that car. Would look great in Taffy's jellybean:CoolDance:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/darwin-cbd/cars-vans-utes/porsche-boxster-3-2s/1184277149

• $_20.JPG

I think my eyes hurt!!!  Can't say I find this attractive at all.  Suspect their price of $20k is rather unattainable, given registration issues.  Perhaps $10k as a track hack / BoxRod may be more likely????

14 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

• $_20.JPG

Could it be any more tempting? A "collectible" lefty with a bile colored interior, because that makes it more special than the Aus delivered cars, oh no i have bile in my throat now:wacko:

15 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

• $_20.JPG

Lefty cars can be registered in the NT no worries (I note the car is in Darwin)so he may get something from a visually challenged local.

5 hours ago, CarreraG50 said:

Lefty cars can be registered in the NT no worries (I note the car is in Darwin)so he may get something from a visually challenged local.

Makes sense now. It’s special order Crocodile Dundee Green! ?

Archived