Buying a 986

Daly87

So I am going to inspect a couple of other cars in the next week or so. Not quite the steal as the first one, who let it go for around $19k ?

This could be with an inspection as I don’t quite think the owner knows what he’s selling? Has it advertised as a Boxster 2.7, but it is an S. It has the PSE fitted, relatively low km at 76k. And his selling pitch is lacking to say the least. Issue is hes asking premium price and I have to get it registers in NSW.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/canberra-city/cars-vans-utes/2007-porsche-boxster-coupe/1183621797?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

This one seems well looked after too

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-5230078

Any comments on these two for and against? Anyone in the ACT area who might inspect the car for me? I’ll gladly pay them a small fee ? 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, t888 said:

at that price you could get a 987 which simply by virtue of being younger is less likely to present issues.

If you could find me a 987 Boxster S for under 27k I’d love to see it. I want the 3.2, 6 speed and of course red brakes ?

3 hours ago, Daly87 said:

If you could find me a 987 Boxster S for under 27k I’d love to see it. I want the 3.2, 6 speed and of course red brakes ?

I'd you can stretch the 987 would be a good option. 

Quick carsales search says they start at 34k for a manual S

It does look nice in that colour scheme.  I'm in Canberra. i don't think i'm mechanical enough to discover any problems but i'm happy to go take photos or video. There's also another 986 listed in Canberra on carsales at $17k. it has been listed for a while and is just a 2.5L in black https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-1997/SSE-AD-4908826/?Cr=0

7 minutes ago, t888 said:

It does look nice in that colour scheme.  I'm in Canberra. i don't think i'm mechanical enough to discover any problems but i'm happy to go take photos or video. There's also another 986 listed in Canberra on carsales at $17k. it has been listed for a while and is just a 2.5L in black https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-1997/SSE-AD-4908826/?Cr=0

I have seen that one, I really do like it with the black/tan. However, I’m not willing to go to the 2.5. It would always be at the back of my mind that there is a 3.2 out there.

On 5/20/2018 at 3:27 PM, Daly87 said:

So I am going to inspect a couple of other cars in the next week or so. Not quite the steal as the first one, who let it go for around $19k ?

This could be with an inspection as I don’t quite think the owner knows what he’s selling? Has it advertised as a Boxster 2.7, but it is an S. It has the PSE fitted, relatively low km at 76k. And his selling pitch is lacking to say the least. Issue is hes asking premium price and I have to get it registers in NSW.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/canberra-city/cars-vans-utes/2007-porsche-boxster-coupe/1183621797?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

This one seems well looked after too

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-5230078

Any comments on these two for and against? Anyone in the ACT area who might inspect the car for me? I’ll gladly pay them a small fee ? 

So, I am fat out of luck again! had arranged to go view the two here and both have just been sold!

Dammit!

The only one left on Carsales/Gumtree is this https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2004/SSE-AD-5447515/?gts=SSE-AD-5447515&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-5447515&rankingType=Spotlight

But that's way too much for what I am willing to spend. 

My suggestion - you shouldn't be spending $30K plus on a 986 - great cars but thats just too much money, youre into 987 territory.

Be patient, the right car will surface, they sold a moza of them

If you want someone to blame for the price rise and dry market - its @TrevMcRev, the Boxrod Outlaw. He has single handedly made them cool

1 hour ago, Ozvino said:

My suggestion - you shouldn't be spending $30K plus on a 986 - great cars but thats just too much money, youre into 987 territory.

Be patient, the right car will surface, they sold a moza of them

If you want someone to blame for the price rise and dry market - its @TrevMcRev, the Boxrod Outlaw. He has single handedly made them cool

Oh yeah, I agree, I am not spending that kind of money at all. I don’t want a 987, something I like about the older 986 a bit retro maybe... maybe I’m a little weird preferring that to the 987.

All 4 I was interested in that were sold quickly went for 19-22k. That’s where I am looking at, one will show up!

4 minutes ago, Diamond911 said:

Yeah iv seen those, I don’t like the first one. Some strange ‘carbon fibre’ front hood and black alloys screams young bogan style car. 

The second I arranged to view with very good intention to buy but was sold yesterday.

the third is yellow.

11 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Yeah iv seen those, I don’t like the first one. Some strange ‘carbon fibre’ front hood and black alloys screams young bogan style car. 

The second I arranged to view with very good intention to buy but was sold yesterday.

the third is yellow.

Hahaha!

So if fake carbon fibre with black alloys screams young bogan, then what does yellow scream?

Good luck in your search btw. I'm sure your patience and diligence is going to pay off in the end!

22 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

I don’t want a 987, something I like about the older 986 a bit retro maybe... maybe I’m a little weird preferring that to the 987.

Not at all - I also like the gen 1 986, I had a Gen 1 996 - so glad the cars are starting to get the appreciation they deserve

Hold tight, the right car will surface - also talk to a couple of the Indi workshops (not sure what state you are in?) they often know of customers looking to move cars on 

btw - I love speed yellow, awesome Porsche colour

1 minute ago, Ian718 said:

Hahaha!

So if fake carbon fibre with black alloys screams young bogan, then what does yellow scream?

Good luck in your search btw. I'm sure your patience and diligence is going to pay off in the end!

I shown it the misses and she just laughed and said don’t bring that home. Guess I’m not man enough to drive a yellow convertible hairdressers car ?. Her father, owns a gun metal grey 911, would never let me live that down haha

The blue one sure does look pretty though ?

815D37DF-EA0A-44C7-BD92-828C0DF5D076.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Guess I’m not man enough to drive a yellow convertible hairdressers car ?

@Niko - drove a yellow 986; Vietnam Vet, former Copper from when Coppers were real - man enough ?

14 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

@Niko - drove a yellow 986; Vietnam Vet, former Copper from when Coppers were real - man enough ?

3 minutes ago, ANF said:

Speed yellow is the BEST Boxster colour (among many other P cars), man up ;)

Haha yeah, I don’t mind it too much, I’d be happy just driving a Porsche - but the misses does not. Hard enough to get her on board with this adventure let alone buy a colour she hates ?

52 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

Haha thanks Dave I’m humbled by those comments...

I did recieve a lot of errrr unsavoury remarks, mainly regarding my sexuality, ha ha or lack of it...from the local Dandenong and Frankston, ill at ease. Especially with the top down 

The hard top was a great idea, couldnt hear a thing with that on.

38 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Haha yeah, I don’t mind it too much, I’d be happy just driving a Porsche - but the misses does not. Hard enough to get her on board with this adventure let alone buy a colour she hates ?

You either love the colour or hate it.  You really do put yourself on dislay in a speed yellow Coxster.

if your missus hates it, dont go there, just let  her pick the colour...

job done...?

19 hours ago, Daly87 said:

the third is yellow.

The first one may be worth contacting - see if he still has the original bonnet and wheels - you could then sell the ones you don't want to subsidize doing the IMS

On 5/15/2018 at 11:58 AM, dan_189 said:

Get a PPI done and also watch the videos that have been made by PCNA on Youtube about buying a 996 (even though you're looking at a 986) you'll get some great tips out of it.

I posted them somewhere on here once, ill see if I can find them.

21 hours ago, Daly87 said:

the third is yellow.

That air scoop on the carbon bonnet must be great for wash/drying your luggage.

2 hours ago, 42 South said:

The first one may be worth contacting - see if he still has the original bonnet and wheels - you could then sell the ones you don't want to subsidize doing the IMS

19 minutes ago, DT said:

That air scoop on the carbon bonnet must be great for wash/drying your luggage.

I actually liked the look of that carbon bonnet but yeah, what's the air cooling ^^^?

Daly don't bother with the carbon car, I tried to pursue that a few months back and could not get one straight answer to any question out of the guy ... all I could ascertain out of the 3 minutes of gobbledygook out of the guy was that his sister owned it, he wasn't using it for ages, it had no books and  5 times I was told "come see it you like very much it great great car you come see you buy." 

22 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

I actually liked the look of that carbon bonnet but yeah, what's the air cooling ^^^?

Daly don't bother with the carbon car, I tried to pursue that a few months back and could not get one straight answer to any question out of the guy ... all I could ascertain out of the 3 minutes of gobbledygook out of the guy was that his sister owned it, he wasn't using it for ages, it had no books and  5 times I was told "come see it you like very much it great great car you come see you buy." 

Thanks for the heads up! Yeah, wasn’t interested from the initial ad it doesn’t scream quality. 

I did go see the midnight blue 2004 S up for $33k. It’s stunning, best colour I have seen on a Boxster yet. It was gleaming and immaculate in every way. Still no way I am stretching to that price. The poor man has lost his license due to illness.

Also went and test drove a midnight blue 987 S at a dealer. Very nice car indeed but just didn’t like the interior. The silver painted plastic looked a bit nasty to my eyes. The simpler 986 felt a bit more honest - didn’t try to be anything fancy and that made it age a little better... or maybe I’m just blindly convincing myself the 986 is the model for me ? 

Pity your lady doesn't like the yellow.

Seems like it's in great condition. Black out the front grills and put hot wheels on it. Maybe even lower it a little. Wrap it?

Yellow isn't popular so it gives you leverage.

Archived