Buying a 986

Daly87

19 minutes ago, firstone said:

Pity your lady doesn't like the yellow.

Seems like it's in great condition. Black out the front grills and put hot wheels on it. Maybe even lower it a little. Wrap it?

Yellow isn't popular so it gives you leverage.

Agree @firstone this one looks a little less hairdresser and more tradie, good stance and the black out grills...

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2001/SSE-AD-5303004 

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now iv seen midnight blue, black and silver I’d only be buying the yellow to have a Boxster S. Not because I truly love it. My colour preference now is in the order above!

just out of curiosity I took a picture of the option codes in the handbook and have a few questions about them:

581 Front center console - why would this be an option?

601 xenon lights - there was no washers on the headlights. I thought that was needed for xenon?

476 PSM Porsche Stability Management - there was no switch on the dash to turn this on/off???

680 Bose sound system - the car had focals in the front. But there was no bose sub/rear speakers. Just the little storage section instead... could he bose just be speakers in the doors only and they have been change?

5 hours ago, Daly87 said:

Now iv seen midnight blue, black and silver I’d only be buying the yellow to have a Boxster S. Not because I truly love it. My colour preference now is in the order above!

just out of curiosity I took a picture of the option codes in the handbook and have a few questions about them:

601 xenon lights - there was no washers on the headlights. I thought that was needed for xenon?

476 PSM Porsche Stability Management - there was no switch on the dash to turn this on/off???

680 Bose sound system - the car had focals in the front. But there was no bose sub/rear speakers. Just the little storage section instead... could he bose just be speakers in the doors only and they have been change?

Ok mate, here you go! Didn't take long for another decent one to pop up ,,,, only 1 day!! And in your preferred colour and a good price

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2001/SSE-AD-3689514/?Cr=6

1. 2001 Porsche Boxster S 986 Manual

That looks pretty good, price is reasonable, it may have a glass rear window which is a plus if it does.   Manual too.   

Worth a phone call..  

PPI still essential.   

8 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Ok mate, here you go! Didn't take long for another decent one to pop up ,,,, only 1 day!! And in your preferred colour and a good price

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2001/SSE-AD-3689514/?Cr=6

Thanks mate! That’s actually been on for a long time. I think they have just reissued the advertisement yesterday.

i had it saved on Carsales but didn’t venture to it because there were others nearer by. Ideally I didn’t want to venture as far as SA for a car - I make a lot of trips for work to Melbourne and Brisbane so they were my limits. But it certainly can’t hurt to investigate seen as NSW has dried up.

Also messaging this one today too

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-5290251

You could see if anyone on fhe forum is close enough to have a squiz.   And magbe a drive.   Keeping in mind its only a quick guide to say it may be worth pursuing.  If it is and your getting more serious ask owner if you can book it in for a PPI over there.  Preferably with a Porsche Centre 

Well below your budget so might be worth perusing (no affiliation) just a 9x6 fan! 

+986 on PPI from a OPC you can get them done remotely if you're serious and the seller agrees. Did this on a 996 in NSW and passed on it because of the PPI results.

Can anyone help me investigate the option codes on the Porsche I seen. It will help me understand more I will inspect... why would the PSM, xenon and Bose codes be present but they don’t appear in the car?

476 PSM Porsche Stability Management - there was no PSM switch on the dash to turn this on/off???

67106997-EAC0-4673-82D9-DF8E87A2B479.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Can anyone help me investigate the option codes on the Porsche I seen. It will help me understand more I will inspect... why would the PSM, xenon and Bose codes be present but they don’t appear in the car?

476 PSM Porsche Stability Management - there was no PSM switch on the dash to turn this on/off???

https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/986-00-01/

Wait, guessing you've already looked these up?

Only contribution I have is focal speakers are not OEM and have definitely been changed

23 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/986-00-01/

Wait, guessing you've already looked these up?

Only contribution I have is focal speakers are not OEM and have definitely been changed

Yes looked up all the codes and the ones that don’t sit right with me are the 4 I listed.

the focals are in the doors, yes they were changed. But my question on that was, did the nose just come with door speakers, and no rear speaker/ subwoofer? If so that makes sense, if not then where is the subwoofer or why is the code wrong?

same goes for the code stating xenon and PSM

1 minute ago, firstone said:

Book that doesn't belong to it???

I thought the same thing but I asked them to send me the sticker under the front hood and it matches too....

says it has xenons PSM and Bose. But no headlight washers, no PSM button and no rear speakers/subwoofer

Is this the SA car? Midnight blue 3.2 manual? 

Lights - easily swapped if they went bad, Bose - most likely only front speakers, PSM - button delete??

These are all speculative answers. A PPI will reveal all. 

38 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

I can only answer your xenon headlights and washer headlight question.

Apparently in europe, the need for headlight washers is dependent on the wattage of the headlights.

So using the latest boxster model as an example it has these 3 headlight options:

Base headlight fitment (not offered in Australia, but is available in Europe/US):

D8S 25W Xenon dipped/high beam
H9 65W Halogen additional high beam
2 LED Daytime running

Bi Xenon AFS/PDLS (is the base in Australia):

D3S 35W Xenon dipped/high beam
2 LED reflectors additional high beam
4 LED Daytime running

LED AFS/PDLS auto range control:

LED dipped/high beam
LED additional high beam
4 LED daytime running

----

The 25W Xenons are not required to have headlight washers.

The 35W Xenons are required to have headlight washers.

The 25W Xenons are also supposedly pretty crap, and people complain about them a lot. Although possibly easily swapped though.

2 minutes ago, Ian718 said:

I can only answer your xenon headlights and washer headlight question.

Apparently in europe, the need for headlight washers is dependent on the wattage of the headlights.

So using the latest boxster model as an example it has these 3 headlight options:

Base headlight fitment (not offered in Australia, but is available in Europe/US):

D8S 25W Xenon dipped/high beam
H9 65W Halogen additional high beam
2 LED Daytime running

Bi Xenon AFS/PDLS (is the base in Australia):

D3S 35W Xenon dipped/high beam
2 LED reflectors additional high beam
4 LED Daytime running

LED AFS/PDLS auto range control:

LED dipped/high beam
LED additional high beam
4 LED daytime running

----

The 25W Xenons are not required to have headlight washers.

The 35W Xenons are required to have headlight washers.

The 25W Xenons are also supposedly pretty crap, and people complain about them a lot. Although possibly easily swapped though.

Wow thanks. So I guess it could have xenon lights that are the lower inferior wattage?

On 5/24/2018 at 12:37 AM, Troubleshooter said:

I have been in contact with the owner and this is a personal import from the UK, has the Aus government vehicle import approval. Has a few receipts with that car, water pump change and he says clutch too but doesn’t seem to be an IMS.

im not sure about a UK import, for one I’m from there and know the roads are bad - underneath cars do not do well in the UK. Also, arnt imports usually cheaper because people only want Aus built?

6 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

I have been in contact with the owner and this is a personal import from the UK, has the Aus government vehicle import approval. Has a few receipts with that car, water pump change and he says clutch too but doesn’t seem to be an IMS.

im not sure about a UK import, for one I’m from there and know the roads are bad - underneath cars do not do well in the UK. Also, arnt imports usually cheaper because people only want Aus built?

Forget it Daly, overpriced and no need to buy an import at all when there is so many Aust Del always coming up for sale .... have to buy em cheap coz they are hard to move at the other end. Have you looked at this underpriced one? (I'm sure you have hahaha)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2001/SSE-AD-1087370/?Cr=9

3 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Correct the market favours AUS delivered cars, they are all made in Germany ;)

If its from the UK triple check the exhaust system, it can get very corroded

Haha yes, I meant DELIVERED, silly me.

9 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Forget it Daly, overpriced and no need to buy an import at all when there is so many Aust Del always coming up for sale .... have to buy em cheap coz they are hard to move at the other end. Have you looked at this underpriced one? (I'm sure you have hahaha)

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2001/SSE-AD-1087370/?Cr=9

That's right, if he dropped it a good $8k I would consider it :D 

I have indeed looked at that one - I don't think there is one that has been up for sale in the last 6 months that I haven't seen hahaha

I like silver, and I don't mind the grey interior - but not together, seems too bland. Also the front plastic trim is missing from the bumper - not a huge issue but makes me wonder what kind of owner has left it like that? That would drive me nuts!!

From my research on the $33k midnight blue from NSW option codes. I think the Bose can be had without the rear sub so he just changed the front door speakers. However I cannot find anything on the world wide web about why it would have the PSM code and no PSM switch. confusing.

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

Agree with @Troubleshooter - sadly, unless it was uber cheap a UK car is really not worth the hassle, a decent one will surface, these are cheap and plentiful Porsches compared to many other models - and awesome bang for the buck

4 hours ago, Daly87 said:

Haha yes, I meant DELIVERED, silly me.

That's right, if he dropped it a good $8k I would consider it :D 

I have indeed looked at that one - I don't think there is one that has been up for sale in the last 6 months that I haven't seen hahaha

I like silver, and I don't mind the grey interior - but not together, seems too bland. Also the front plastic trim is missing from the bumper - not a huge issue but makes me wonder what kind of owner has left it like that? That would drive me nuts!!

From my research on the $33k midnight blue from NSW option codes. I think the Bose can be had without the rear sub so he just changed the front door speakers. However I cannot find anything on the world wide web about why it would have the PSM code and no PSM switch. confusing.

Daly that grey int would probably look good with a set of black seats and black mats... it's very well priced so a grand for seats is no killer.... in fact, I haven't checked, but I'm sure I brought my silver S from the guy selling this one. He's a dealer and was very good and easy to deal with. I paid about the same for mine and he knocked a grand off as well and being a dealer he worked in with me on the transport and vehicle check and no trust issues paying him and receiving the car. The car was better than he described (except for a coupla creases in the plastic window but there's always something... 

13 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Daly that grey int would probably look good with a set of black seats and black mats... it's very well priced so a grand for seats is no killer.... in fact, I haven't checked, but I'm sure I brought my silver S from the guy selling this one. He's a dealer and was very good and easy to deal with. I paid about the same for mine and he knocked a grand off as well and being a dealer he worked in with me on the transport and vehicle check and no trust issues paying him and receiving the car. The car was better than he described (except for a coupla creases in the plastic window but there's always something... 

Thanks for the information, alright, ill check it out, cant hurt I guess. I have sent the guy an email asking for the usual - all documents/receipts, any big ticket items replaced and more pictures etc etc. 

Archived