Buying a 986

Daly87

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Fishcop said:

Don't get me wrong, if it had have been a member's or even a private sale I'd have just kept quiet, but dealers should know better.  

Well done  Daly87, I knew you'd pick it up ;)   I see the black one has dropped price again... And so has the forest green one  - still too much, but it's a cool colour combo :) 

Iv looked at enough now haha

yeah, I doubt the dealer will ever sell that black one!

the nice blue one has dropped too. Shame about the front bumper/fender damage on that. Otherwise a stunning car.

They must be slowly realising they are not selling for that price range, surely?

If you are OK with speed yellow after you seen the Coffs Harbour one, have you thought about the one in Vic on gumtree?

16 hours ago, Daly87 said:

If you are OK with speed yellow after you seen the Coffs Harbour one, have you thought about the one in Vic on gumtree?

I'm lazy by nature.  Unless the car is exceptional (including the colour I want), I'm unlikely to travel :)

10 minutes ago, CarreraG50 said:

https://www.pca.org/news/2018-06-26/why-986-boxster-porsche-we-should-all-be-shopping

Need to get in early with a speed yellow then before they all become the next 993 collectables haha ?

Ok guys and gals dumb question time.

Are all 986 Boxsters Australian delivered? Dumb question I know but there doesn't seem to be much conversation going on about Aussie delivered Boxsters v privately imported ones.

I'm in the market for one but need to have more info in what is the best ones to get. 

I'm looking at a first model (1997 or 1998) in auto (yes I know it should be manual).

Any other things I should look out for apart from the obvious problems like the IMS.

Cheers

53 minutes ago, 3legs said:

Are all 986 Boxsters Australian delivered? Dumb question I know but there doesn't seem to be much conversation going on about Aussie delivered Boxsters v privately imported ones.

I'm in the market for one but need to have more info in what is the best ones to get. 

I'm looking at a first model (1997 or 1998) in auto (yes I know it should be manual).

Any other things I should look out for apart from the obvious problems like the IMS.

Cheers

There will be an option code under the front hood, and one in the front of the service book. The first code should read C23. These codes tell you what options the car had, so google them when you inspect one.

On 6/27/2018 at 7:57 PM, 3legs said:

Cheers

There are probably some that were Private Imports, but I would say imports are less common than 911's due to the fact that they were not as valuable, so it was less financially worth while to bring them here.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2018 at 5:53 PM, Fishcop said:

I had an interesting experience test driving a 986 Boxster I was keen on today.  Half way through the test drive it dropped a cylinder and the engine light came on - limped it back and parked.

It is a low kilometre car, but the service history has holes, and I suspect some of the main things such as water pump, belts, and IMS bearing have not had attention.  I suspect I can get $5-6k off asking to cover these things, but I don't have easy access to a proper Porsche knowledgable mechanic... So the above advice seems to be pretty solid and I may re-evaluate one or two of the cars currently on the market.

I also drove a 987 3.4 S yesterday (those 3.4 S cars go like a scalded cat!) - very nice car, but 150kms on the clock...

The 3.4S is a cracking motor on the 987. Scary fast.  There is that 986S (3.2 man) with 15k's ...

On 7/11/2018 at 2:17 PM, Merv said:

The 3.4S is a cracking motor on the 987. Scary fast.  There is that 986S (3.2 man) with 15k's ...

That is interesting, maybe I am more desensitised to modern speeds, but my 987CS was quick, but definitely not scary. It didn't need any more power, but expected it would have been faster in a straight line.

2 hours ago, Diamond911 said:

Yes saw it yesterday.  Ticks all my boxes (and I really like the GT3 wheels on a Boxster), but when I add in transport and registration changeover it creeps back up... If it was in my backyard I'd be all over it :) 

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, Fishcop said:

Yes saw it yesterday.  Ticks all my boxes (and I really like the GT3 wheels on a Boxster), but when I add in transport and registration changeover it creeps back up... If it was in my backyard I'd be all over it :) 

the search for a new drive still going @Fishcop !

my lovely 987 S manual with 60k klm on waiting there for you still - nothing to spend either ?

4 minutes ago, Higgo said:

the search for a new drive still going @Fishcop !

my lovely 987 S manual with 60k klm on waiting there for you still - nothing to spend either ?

Stop it! :D 

Things are car-quiet here with the final part of my (wife's) house reno underway.  When she's done spending I'll definitely look at how far I can stretch...

Archived