Buying a 986

Daly87

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if my may add a bit of thread drift (but from what I'm seeing, that's maybe not a major issue here ?), have any of you Melbournites happened to have checked out any of the 986 or 987 Ss on the market down there at the moment?

Been lurking for a bit as I'm now looking to fill the Boxster sized hole in my life. Loooong term 912 owner and Porsche tragic. burnout.gif.d1e2c1f90cc73be32b35ff9a53e4e2d3.gif

*edit* Oh and I should add, post 2003 and manual. ?

2 hours ago, Typ9xx said:

So if my may add a bit of thread drift (but from what I'm seeing, that's maybe not a major issue here ?), have any of you Melbournites happened to have checked out any of the 986 or 987 Ss on the market down there at the moment?

Been lurking for a bit as I'm now looking to fill the Boxster sized hole in my life. Loooong term 912 owner and Porsche tragic. burnout.gif.d1e2c1f90cc73be32b35ff9a53e4e2d3.gif

*edit* Oh and I should add, post 2003 and manual. ?

Hi there - I have a 2006 Boxster S manual with low klm for sale on the forum if you are interested 

3 hours ago, Typ9xx said:

Higgo, we were texting the other night. Yours looks good, but more than I want to spend for a family toy. ?

Ah my bad - I knew you as another name. Best of luck (once again) mate 

Hello all! 

So I have been away a while, working regionally whilst moving to a new apartment. Busy times has diverted my attention from the Boxster plan. Boring details aside the misses decided the new place needed new furniture... funds took a hit... and then another, and a few more after that.

Not to worry, happy wife and all that ?

anywho, is there any friends around the Frankston area that wouldn’t mind kicking some tyres in exchange for some beer money? This one is going for a low price and before I pay for an expensive PPI it might help to understand it on face value first.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/frankston-south/cars-vans-utes/2003-porsche-boxster-s/1192546445?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

message from the current owner is

IMS not done. Weltmeister here in Melbourne reckon I shouldn't worry about it too much. Even though everyone has their knickers in a knot I haven't done it. Clutch done two services ago. Hard sports clutch. Not sure on breaks. However I was about to change them to take on the track for first time. Got owners book. Fair few owners. Somewhere between 5-10 off memory. Service book tick tick. Can show you pictures. Have spare key. I took a photo for another bloke of a sticker under the bonnet is that the options codes? Otherwise I'll check the books.

Hey gurus,

i am very interested in a Boxster, going for the right price. However i did a carfacts report and the km readings are interesting.

the current owner tells me he’s the third owner and he bought it in 2015 with around 60k on the clock. What catches my eye is in May 2010 the odo shoots up 4k in the same month.F3623501-F2F4-46DD-9672-EF3803A139E0.thumb.jpeg.39b2e14618a37bf1994e51b2298502f2.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Hey gurus,

i am very interested in a Boxster, going for the right price. However i did a carfacts report and the km readings are interesting.

the current owner tells me he’s the third owner and he bought it in 2015 with around 60k on the clock. What catches my eye is in May 2010 the odo shoots up 4k in the same month.F3623501-F2F4-46DD-9672-EF3803A139E0.thumb.jpeg.39b2e14618a37bf1994e51b2298502f2.jpeg

4000kms in a month is nothing to worry about. In fact, you can can probably bet they are hwy kms. Sounds like a road trip to me?

37 minutes ago, MFX said:

4000kms in a month is nothing to worry about. In fact, you can can probably bet they are hwy kms. Sounds like a road trip to me?

Nothing wrong with that - we did 5000kms in a fortnight earlier this year.  Car loved it ?

Thanks for the reply guys, I guess my follow up question. How are these km recorded? If I did a road trip in my current car, who tells carfacts the details? I only thought these were recorded when the car gets put up on carsales? The guy bought it in 2015 with 60ks which looks right but no km readings from 2013 to the present day?

Odo recordings come from any punter who pays the coin for the check...

So if I do an enquiry, it'll ask me the year, odometer and rego - the software records the odo I put in.  The next day someone else does a check and somehow they transpose a number or "from memory" put in an odo number that's 5k out, the software records it.  So the 5k difference could just be two punters doing checks back in May 2010 when it was for sale previously.

Or it could just be one awesome road trip in May 2010 :) 

32 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Odo recordings come from any punter who pays the coin for the check...

So if I do an enquiry, it'll ask me the year, odometer and rego - the software records the odo I put in.  The next day someone else does a check and somehow they transpose a number or "from memory" put in an odo number that's 5k out, the software records it.  So the 5k difference could just be two punters doing checks back in May 2010 when it was for sale previously.

Or it could just be one awesome road trip in May 2010 :) 

Thanks!

On 8/30/2018 at 5:19 PM, Daly87 said:

So an FYI for anyone else searching for a car, I managed to contact the previous owner of that S, turns out he had an accident in it where he was pushed across a lane into the wire rope barriers. Said it was surface damaged front to back passenger side and insurance paid him out. He followed the car to a prestigious crash repair shop in Melbourne where it was repaired and sold as a repairable write off.  I guess that is why its so cheap. 

On the other hand he couldn't talk highly enough of the quality of the car before that day, which was around 2-3 years ago he said. He said there was nothing structurally wrong after the accident, but I guess that doesn't mean anything when all it says on its history is 'repairable write off'

1 hour ago, Daly87 said:

Even then, as good as the car may be. Will still be too hard to move on! 

If the price is low enough someone will bite....

I note that this one is still floating around with a sharp price Daly   ...  https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-5290251/?Cr=0

2 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

If the price is low enough someone will bite....

I note that this one is still floating around with a sharp price Daly   ...  https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-5290251/?Cr=0

Yes he’s reduced it a few ks he has no service books/history etc except the one service he has done In is ownership. I can only assume that’s why it isn’t selling! 

1 hour ago, Daly87 said:

Yes he’s reduced it a few ks he has no service books/history etc except the one service he has done In is ownership. I can only assume that’s why it isn’t selling! 

In that case, no books, he'll need to shave another 3 or 4k off the price imo

5 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

In that case, no books, he'll need to shave another 3 or 4k off the price imo

I might be up in Brisbane in a few weeks for work. If so I’ll definitely go and kick the tyres, see how nice the paint and interior looks and make sure it drives ok (About as much as I can do on a Boxster) low ball him and get it inspected by Porsche.

until then, a crate of beer if anyone on the gold coast wants to go and look at a Boxster when they have nothing else to do / want free beer ?

Not an S but I fell in love with the colour when I viewed one in Sydney and price is right for an 03, I have been trying to get an inspection done on this one https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2003/SSE-AD-3765908

On 9/7/2018 at 8:03 PM, Daly87 said:

I might be up in Brisbane in a few weeks for work. If so I’ll definitely go and kick the tyres, see how nice the paint and interior looks and make sure it drives ok (About as much as I can do on a Boxster) low ball him and get it inspected by Porsche.

until then, a crate of beer if anyone on the gold coast wants to go and look at a Boxster when they have nothing else to do / want free beer ?

Not an S but I fell in love with the colour when I viewed one in Sydney and price is right for an 03, I have been trying to get an inspection done on this one https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2003/SSE-AD-3765908

That Boxster has been on and off CS before. Earlier this year it was $23k. I attempted to talk to the seller but he never returned my (numerous) calls.

i don’t understand someone who is selling something and will not respond. It rustles my jimmies.

Yep. You’ve gone to all that trouble of detailing the car, finding a nice spot, take some pics writing a description, putting up your contact details and then...crickets.

its almost like their just trying to farm your contact details for some elaborate Russian cyber hack campaign ???

Archived