Jump to content
Daly87

Buying a 986

Recommended Posts

This is nice - over $30k but has a proper IMS fix and the contrasting beige trim on silver is nice and not common

Beat the price down a couple of thousand and its what you would spend if you bought a 25$k Boxster and then did the IMS

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-5266631/?Cr=9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ozvino said:

This is nice - over $30k but has a proper IMS fix and the contrasting beige trim on silver is nice and not common

Beat the price down a couple of thousand and its what you would spend if you bought a 25$k Boxster and then did the IMS

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-5266631/?Cr=9

Is it an import?  I can’t see C23 on the hood sticker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Daly87 said:

I think the Bose can be had without the rear sub so he just changed the front door speakers. Howe

The Bose sub on these cars is contained in an additional compartment that is affixed verically to the passenger side of the of transmission tunnel. The other option is having speakers (4) in the rear storage compartment, but these are standard mid-range 4" speakers. Pretty easy to add these after market if you want "surround sound".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JWM said:

This one looks pretty good @Daly87 - https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-1999/SSE-AD-5481396/ - although up in the price range still...

Thanks for that! Yeah its up there on the upper limits in terms of price but it sounds like a great example too. I may look into it, though the colour is not my cup of tea - I am not sure the flat colours (red/white) suit the Boxster, I think they hide the curves a little too much.

Currently messaging this guy about his 2000 Arctic silver in WA, hes had it for 10years. The car has had extensive maintenance carried out within the previous 18 months, inclusive of the following, new radiators * 2 , new water pump and coolant flush, new air conditioning condensers * 2, full brake rebuild all calipers overhauled new front rotors & brake fluid replacement, new battery, front axle wheel bearing replacement *2, new front arm suspension arms * 2, oil change (engine & gearbox). Brand new front tyres *2 Bridgestone , rear Pirellis P zeros are still good apparently. Its just a little high km with 155k.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-4400067/?_ga=2.136173169.1978624188.1528072624-1902653639.1524900705

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like he leans over to the passenger side by placing his knee on the drivers seat! A definite nono!!!!

My 996 had over 200K and the drivers seat was by far in better condition than that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, P-Kay said:

Looks like he leans over to the passenger side by placing his knee on the drivers seat! A definite nono!!!!

My 996 had over 200K and the drivers seat was by far in better condition than that!

You often see this seat problem with 996/997

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

careless owners in my book. Call me anal, but if the seat looks like that or the car has had a smoker, then sorry, but that's a deal breaker. Especially for a car priced at the higher end of the scale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Daly87 is this one any good - closer to home, same mileage - if you can get the purchase price down?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-1999/OAG-AD-15916036/?_ga=2.32827966.1066816428.1528256817-687039653.1508387122 

 

I contacted the owner of this car with an offer based on book value, he wasn't interested and didn't bat a price back, I guess it's good enough for his $32k ask?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-2004/SSE-AD-5447515/?_ga=2.261997069.1066816428.1528256817-687039653.1508387122 

 

I'm in Coffs Harbour for work on Wednesday and may go and take a look at the yellow car :( 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

@Daly87 is this one any good - closer to home, same mileage - if you can get the purchase price down?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-1999/OAG-AD-15916036/?_ga=2.32827966.1066816428.1528256817-687039653.1508387122 

 

I contacted the owner of this car with an offer based on book value, he wasn't interested and didn't bat a price back, I guess it's good enough for his $32k ask?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-2004/SSE-AD-5447515/?_ga=2.261997069.1066816428.1528256817-687039653.1508387122 

 

I'm in Coffs Harbour for work on Wednesday and may go and take a look at the yellow car :( 

 

the black 99 is one i intend to call past one day, I don't have high hopes for it but that could be mainly down to the really poor pictures - also it says its had a complete new interior - was it that bad?? I am working around the area next week so I will may call in then.

The blue one is lovely, I went and test drove it two weeks back when it was up for $33k, I low balled him too due to other examples that have been sold recently such as a mint 2000 S manual, 67k on the clock went for $23k ( I was beaten to the deposit by a few hours, for the second time). 
This blue one though, it has a badly scratched passenger side bumper, with a dent in the panel where it meets the bumper, removing paint on both panels. It looks really fresh and the owner (75, needs glasses) had no idea it was there- I believed his reaction was genuine, looked devastated about it. Other than that it is immaculate, great example, but no better then the others I have been to see that were going/sold for $22-25k.

25 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

I'm in Coffs Harbour for work on Wednesday and may go and take a look at the yellow car :( 

Haha view it just for curiosity, take lots of pictures and send to me if you don't like it :)

However, don't settle for yellow just because you want a Porsche - that is what I have to keep telling my self every time I go back to that same ad! I just know I wont enjoy driving a yellow Boxster in public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Haha view it just for curiosity, take lots of pictures and send to me if you don't like it :)

However, don't settle for yellow just because you want a Porsche - that is what I have to keep telling my self every time I go back to that same ad! I just know I wont enjoy driving a yellow Boxster in public.

The thing about colours is that they cycle... I do hate yellow and when I was hunting early 911s I avoided all light yellow coded cars.  That included several mint cars that had I bought, I would be retired now ;).

There were a few other colours such as aubergine and togo brown that really fell out of favour during the 70s and 80s that are very much sought after 'period colours' now.  So I am prepared to be a bit pragmatic, especially if the seller is also pragmatic :) 

Thanks for the advice on the blue car - he needs to adjust his ad/price to reflect the damage.  I'd be pretty pissed to travel there to find the damage and an unwavering sale price...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fishcop said:

@Daly87 is this one any good - closer to home, same mileage - if you can get the purchase price down?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-1999/OAG-AD-15916036/?_ga=2.32827966.1066816428.1528256817-687039653.1508387122 

 

Just did a quick google on this dealer, pennant hills auto traders to find where they were.

1 - google reviews dont seem great, but I guess not many people will leave good reviews...

2 - One of the pictures advertising the dealer is this one https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x6b12a71d1e7491bd%3A0x35570ce27a4ff1d9!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipM6bgLRQVdB94vyW9m_f8tTUKoB6ZTRyq2Nn3Hq%3Dw90-h90-n-k-no!5sGoogle Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipPK_gFvrGSVnnA7fmmaI4TpY1UKdc6LsXHgQazP

This is from April 2016, notice anything familiar looking in the showroom... coincidence?? $29,990 save $2000

Even more digging on facebook - Feb 20017. **Note there is some drive line noise but doesn't affect the performance**

image.png.b0fd30df96c94fa6c1f2252acff99e2d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2018 at 8:23 AM, Daly87 said:

 Ideally I didn’t want to venture as far as SA for a car - 

  I can have a squiz if you need some eyes on a car in Adelaide if it's not too far away. The blue one above isn't too far from me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LeeM said:

  I can have a squiz if you need some eyes on a car in Adelaide if it's not too far away. The blue one above isn't too far from me

Thanks a lot for your offer of help I really appreciate it! Although I don’t think it will go any further. The silver one hasn’t replied to my two seperate requests and the blue one I found out it was imported from the uk and the guy took serious offence when I said I need to think about a uk import his response was “well I wish you the best of luck to find and Australian built Porsche” - I don’t think he understood the angle I was coming from...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Thanks a lot for your offer of help I really appreciate it! Although I don’t think it will go any further. The silver one hasn’t replied to my two seperate requests and the blue one I found out it was imported from the uk and the guy took serious offence when I said I need to think about a uk import his response was “well I wish you the best of luck to find and Australian built Porsche” - I don’t think he understood the angle I was coming from...

 

 Normal response from a seller of an import mate ?

 If you find anything here, feel free to hit me up to check it out. I'm no expert, yet it's better than buying sight unseen. Maybe call Richmond's cars here, as they usually know of cars that don't reach the carsales/gumtree pages

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same offer here in Melbourne if it's not too far, happy to check it out and report back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Yep, saw that one too.  I suspect it's only still there because it's yellow... :D 

Funny enough I dropped of the wife's CX5 into Port Macquarie Mazda this morning for its service and they have a lovely Forest Green over Tan Boxster in the yard - I got all excited as dropped the Mazda off an ran over to the yard... 2.5/auto :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

@LeeM @dan_189 thanks guys! Goes without saying that I will gladly pay you for your time too!

@Fishcop another well looked after yellow if you went down that path http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lilydale/cars-vans-utes/porsche-boxter-s-3-2-low-kms/1186138045?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

All good, I'll do it for the PFA and 9x6 love! Can even run you an VAL (vehicle activity log) with my PIWIS II tester. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Saw this while aimlessly scrolling through Facebook marketplace of all platforms! 

04', black, manual, S, 109k, it's at $32 but of eveything thats been posted, it's my pick of the sight unseen bunch (no affiliation). 

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1764002363652115

I spotted that one yesterday too.  I was disappointed by the lack of interior photos.  And it's in Melbourne...

But if journeying to Melbourne, has anyone had a look at this one?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2001/SSE-AD-5310826/?Cr=14 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...