Buying a 986

Daly87

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Dave986 said:

Yep. You’ve gone to all that trouble of detailing the car, finding a nice spot, take some pics writing a description, putting up your contact details and then...crickets.

its almost like their just trying to farm your contact details for some elaborate Russian cyber hack campaign ???

Funny you should say that. I have had the same experience with three cars in the past month like that. The green one has had someone in front doing a PPI but hasn’t agreed a deal and doesn’t really act upon selling it with me here waiting to get it inspected myself and move forward.

then there is this one https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2003/SSE-AD-3765908

he said he will get back to me about pictures of the service history... nothing yet.

Best yet is this one below, after two messages to him, replied with “lots of people are messaging me, please stop messaging me if Yu are not coming to inspect” haha Jesus 

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-5561464

On 9/9/2018 at 4:43 PM, Merv said:

Cheap car with history.  Look at it and buy it if it seems right. 

I would if I could! Been messaging asking for pictures of the service records and also to book in a PPI... no response. I am baffled by him, meanwhile he has not been replying to me he’s also just put it on gumtree too! 

• 1 month later...

So although life has been keeping me busy and distracted from looking for my toy I have kept on the market at a distance.

id like to know the forums view on following the advice to “buy the best car you can afford.” All things being equal, price, age, km, condition the S is the better car over the 2.7. But what is the view on better car if both are the same age, km, condition and price - but the 2.7 has had clutch, IMS, lowering springs and some suspension maintenance, tyres, AOS. The S just has a clutch replacement.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-5525921

S

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-5509132

Would you take the S anyway or see the 2.7 as the better buy due to the maintenance taken?

Also Just in case anyone is looking for a Boxster too I took a drive down to Illawarra to test drive this after I got the dealer to send me all the paperwork, which was very extensive, recent $3k major service, new tyres and $2k exhaust upgrade at ram speed. I spoke to the old owner who had it for around 6 years and sounded like it was cherished. Traded it in for a new mustang. However driving it the 2nd gear was nonexistent- next! http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/barrack-heights/cars-vans-utes/2000-porsche-boxster-s-black-6-speed-manual-roadster/1195670293?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

10 hours ago, Daly87 said:

So although life has been keeping me busy and distracted from looking for my toy I have kept on the market at a distance.

id like to know the forums view on following the advice to “buy the best car you can afford.” All things being equal, price, age, km, condition the S is the better car over the 2.7. But what is the view on better car if both are the same age, km, condition and price - but the 2.7 has had clutch, IMS, lowering springs and some suspension maintenance, tyres, AOS. The S just has a clutch replacement.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-5525921

S

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2000/SSE-AD-5509132

Would you take the S anyway or see the 2.7 as the better buy due to the maintenance taken?

Also Just in case anyone is looking for a Boxster too I took a drive down to Illawarra to test drive this after I got the dealer to send me all the paperwork, which was very extensive, recent $3k major service, new tyres and $2k exhaust upgrade at ram speed. I spoke to the old owner who had it for around 6 years and sounded like it was cherished. Traded it in for a new mustang. However driving it the 2nd gear was nonexistent- next! http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/barrack-heights/cars-vans-utes/2000-porsche-boxster-s-black-6-speed-manual-roadster/1195670293?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Wow. Killed a gearbox at 106k kms?

Lol...I trust you gave him a suitably incredulous look and turned on the spot. There is a fix for the 2nd gear issue. Costs a couple of grand though. Still, if the rest of the car is straight...

Having bypassed the 2.7 and gone straight to the S, my vote is with the S! ?

I have a friend here with, fr sale,  the same year manual, non-S, in perfect condition for the same money and 93,000 kms. He an elderly guy who was a factory mechanic in Austria and Germany. 

Looks great! I will give them a call tomorrow and find out more. Although ‘low km’ usually means it’s hovering around the $30k mark.

Im still undecided on what’s a better buy a 2.7 with money spent on all the major items v a 3.2 that has only had a clutch (no IMs) and needs new tyres. 

6 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Looks great! I will give them a call tomorrow and find out more. Although ‘low km’ usually means it’s hovering around the $30k mark.

Im still undecided on what’s a better buy a 2.7 with money spent on all the major items v a 3.2 that has only had a clutch (no IMs) and needs new tyres. 

If you're talking $30k then we should talk about our 987S.......

31 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Buik Motorworks 

08 82971400 ask for Craig

3 minutes ago, qstoria said:

I owned a 3.2 originally for a few years, moved out of the country and had to let it go.  Upon returning to Aus I got into a 2.7

Sure the S is faster, etc etc

But I have just as much FUN in the 2.7 :)

Hey, welcome back.  I remember I was considering your car which you had for sale before you went O/S.  We went for a 987S instead, as noted above, and 5 years later have just bought a 981?

6 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Hey, welcome back.  I remember I was considering your car which you had for sale before you went O/S.  We went for a 987S instead, as noted above, and 5 years later have just bought a 981?

Thanks very much TwoHeadsTas and I do remember chatting with you on and off about my car at the time.  I can see that your Porsche journey has definitely progressed.  987, 996 and now a 981.  Nicely done!  

Not to hijack the thread but how was the 996 compared to the rest..?  Always loved them (and the 986)

On 31/10/2018 at 21:35, Daly87 said:

I've driven the 2.7 and 3.2 (pre update) back to back a few times. Down low in the rev range it's actually pretty similar. It's higher up where you can feel the extra power of the 3.2. It feels around 20% faster, pretty much in line with the power numbers.

The other thing is the 2.7 has a better shift action. The 2.7 gearbox paired with a short shifter was amazing. The 3.2 gearbox paired with a short shifter was pretty horrible. 

In isolation, the 2.7 feels fast enough. Faster than a brand new Toyota 86 for example.

But if the price difference is only a few thousand dollars, I'll go for the 3.2 every time. 

41 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Cheap short shifters can be horrible, luckily they are easy to replace and a fairly inexpensive DIY upgrade. 

Yep, I changed it to a 987 shifter and it's a good balance between throw distance and effort.

Archived