Datsun 1600 Appreciation Thread

THIS  Got to be L series NA, prefer ITBs over carbs but....

MIf I ever get into another Datto, I'd love to get Les Collins to build a tough L series, he was "the man" back in his Datrally days in Cheltenham.  He is still building tough engines out of Warragul but eye wateringly expensive for the twin cam conversions he has engineered.  Anyone for 300hp NA.....??

http://lescollinsracing.com

Bought a few bits off Datsport in the past, assume they are still around - ready made struts/brakes, adjustable rear cross members etc

http://www.datsport.com

havent dealt with Maddat but also suppliers of various upgrade parts and SA based

http://www.mdrautomotive.com.au

i used to hang out over here, the PFA on Datto land.  Used to get cars for sale here but I assume that's slowed to a trickle now.

http://ozdat.com/forum/index.php

On 21 May 2018 at 9:48 PM, OZ930 said:

Techno Toy is another US group offering Datto upgrade bits

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/510

if all else fails, call Troy and ask him to find and build you a car.  Got to be cheaper than a Singer 911 ?

https://www.ermish-racing.com/street-cars

34 minutes ago, Niko said:

GREAT CLIP Sensational car..........Carbs for me...anything else is sacrilege......

Yeah but for tuning and reliability, laptop tune it and forget it.  All those years of chasing a sweet balanced tuned with twin Webers - PITA.  

To really annoy the purists, how about twin cam and Motec L series. Listen to it rev  in the video at the bottom of the page.

http://lescollinsracing.com/engine/projects-engine/l-series-4v

Nope....L series...carbs, cam. exhaust, bigger inlet valves, flat tops....ONLY WAY TO GO....:wub:

.Arrrggghhh if I close my eyes and imagine hard enough....I can hear one coming right now...:CoolDance: 

While I'm on the sacrilege thing....and rotisseries in P510's.  are now I really need the spew bucket....:angry:

HA HA, sorry boys they do all go very quick,... and seriously, each to their own.

I'm certainly not a purist....but I'm just a tad old skool when it comes to 1600"s.:Chuckle2:

2 hours ago, Niko said:While I'm on the sacrilege thing....and rotisseries in P510's.  are now I really need the spew bucket....:angry:

I went 13B to get cheap reliable power (was considering SR20T but too much weight and ancillary shit and cost).  It had 210hp but zero torque and so while it was faster round a track than the 270hp turbo L series, it was pretty boring to drive.  So I agree bad idea

A nice tidy 1600 with 200hp NA L series would be fun.  Or maybe NA SR20 on ITBs and Motec ?

16 hours ago, DJM said:

I went 13B to get cheap reliable power (was considering SR20T but too much weight and ancillary shit and cost).  It had 210hp but zero torque and so while it was faster round a track than the 270hp turbo L series, it was pretty boring to drive.  So I agree bad idea

A nice tidy 1600 with 200hp NA L series would be fun.  Or maybe NA SR20 on ITBs and Motec ?

I used to hate going flat out in my NA P510/1600 and having a P510/Rotisserie go sailing past....:o

6 hours ago, Niko said:

I used to hate going flat out in my NA P510/1600 and having a P510/Rotisserie go sailing past....:o

That's why you needed one of these Niko, to keep those chook cookers behind you ?

uNbenb2.jpg

Just watching a show on Foxtel Discovery Turbo channel, JDM Legends focussing on a nice 1600/510. A typical American car resto show, but a little better than most

Maybe on YouTube? 

3 hours ago, LeeM said:

Just watching a show on Foxtel Discovery Turbo channel, JDM Legends focussing on a nice 1600/510. A typical American car resto show, but a little better than most

Maybe on YouTube? 

You can mostly forget doing the above after work with a beer for a year Lee, if you build - after dinner you'll either:-  be doing paperwork, going through paperwork, arguing with someone, chasing someone, going through brochures with missus, arguing with missus, thinking of upcoming problems and choices, thinking of past problems and choices - or all of the above in one night .... I've been though it once and it went relatively smoothly but a mate was the master builder and I did more than half the trades, and my missus had bugger all say as she was looking after a new born and 2 under 3 and couldn't really care about the choices .... I'd always buy a reno'ed one that's been way overcapitalised or one that needs a reno..... sorry mate, you came over to this thread for some peace, I was only going to type "You can mostly forget doing the above after work with a beer for a year Lee, if you build" . Big decision if you highly value your time and sanity. Hard choice I know good luck with whatever you go with mate

32 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

And good luck with all the parking shit out the front as well, hope it aint too bad for you,

Gotta say (with a bit of egg on my face) its actually pretty good since they laid the bitumen, as there's been no cars parked against the kerb either side of the road. Seems to have widened the road a bit too and we don't have to do a U turn and dodge parked cars out front so far. Just cut through a park straight into our driveway ? I'm sure some nong will park where/how they shouldn't eventually, but I'm prepared for that. I have a cunning plan Baldrick! ?

Just waiting for the No Standing signs to go up out front and council fixing our driveway kerbing and we're sweet

23 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

The power's on in Adelaide??

???? I laughed way too hard at that 

Labor government got booted mate, so we should be right......for now anyway 

9 hours ago, LeeM said:

???? I laughed way too hard at that 

Labor government got booted mate, so we should be right......for now anyway 

Doesn't matter which side Lee they ALL shaft us pretty much... 

Ok so, anything funny in the photo - no cars parked in the new spaces?

41 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Doesn't matter which side Lee they ALL shaft us pretty much... 

Ok so, anything funny in the photo - no cars parked in the new spaces?

Ain't that the truth! 

Yeah mate, the owner of the car parked by the kerb (and another earlier) were the ones who continually complained to council about the lack of parking available with that development, as one of their cars was damaged a few months ago when a garbage truck clipped a mirror. A carpark was built and they don't use it? 

I'd laugh if it gets hit again ?

• 3 weeks later...

Ok looks like this thread has gone to sleep so I will give it a little nudge.

Plus bore you all shitless with another of my projects

(plus its pissing down and I haven't got anything better to do)

I know it's not a 1600 but this was what I rebuilt after the 1600 supply ran out.

I purchased it in 1986, for my wife (ha ha well that's what I told her)  it's a 1975 model 180B SSS P610 manual.

It was a great car stock standard until about 1996 when the head gave up, resulting in a buggered donk.

So....I got Mrs NIKO into another car and decided to rebuild the Buck 80. SSS (Super Sonic Sh#t)

SSS around 1987 (5)

1986 We acquire the new addition

img20180617_09514674img20180617_09522660

Rebuild time 1997,   Tony a mate of a mate, volunteered to do the body.  It was rust free so prep and paint was a breeze

img20180617_09540786img20180617_09533468img20180617_09543785img20180617_09550707

FORD LE MANS red I think from memory.    I looked for a good red for over twelve months and ended up with his one

img20180617_09560363

Ok cosmetics done, now into the donk and interior and everything underneath and in between

img20180617_09563276img20180617_09570527

Used a local Detective who had a part timer as an upholsterer, did a sensational job on seats and doors.

img20180617_09580383img20180617_09573274

Motor done, I kept it standard SSS apart from a slight cam.

Put Z wheels on it 

img20180617_09592579img20180617_09590028img20180617_09583354img20180617_095952042003 the SSS2003 15-9 Ian selling the SSS

My last day of ownership, awaiting the new owner from NSW to grease my palm and take my baby in 2003.

Had a heap of fun with it.   Club stuff at Sandown and Geelong Speed Trials.

ha ha and normal regrets....wish I still had it.