Datsun 1600 Appreciation Thread

Nice one!  Yeah shoot me a PM, I'm going down there Friday as apparently they are pulling the engine and box for my Baur out of the donor car and I want them to look at the Coupe I bought (which has just come from Melb - still on the Vic rego!).  

Happy to look over it for you, take photos etc if you want.  Let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/05/2020 at 21:08, 1q2w3e4r said:

Nice one!  Yeah shoot me a PM, I'm going down there Friday as apparently they are pulling the engine and box for my Baur out of the donor car and I want them to look at the Coupe I bought (which has just come from Melb - still on the Vic rego!).  

Happy to look over it for you, take photos etc if you want.  Let me know.

Car arrived today and well, what a hoot to drive.  With a short diff (4.1) it’s great fun around the hills rowing between 3rd and 5th.  And makes great sounds, the Weber like watery induction noise at low revs and raspy at 7500.  Feels like a grown up Datto on steroids and surprisingly tight and rattle free for a 31 year old car.  You forget how tiny and delicate old cars were and I have to re-train myself to manually wind the windows 😂

dare I say more fun than a GT4 at legal speeds.....

10 minutes ago, DJM said:

Car arrived today and well, what a hoot to drive.  With a short diff (4.1) it’s great fun around the hills rowing between 3rd and 5th.  And makes great sounds, the Weber like watery induction noise at low revs and raspy at 7500.  Feels like a grown up Datto on steroids and surprisingly tight and rattle free for a 31 year old car.  You forget how tiny and delicate old cars were and I have to re-train myself to manually wind the windows 😂

What is your schedule looking like next week........................:ph34r:

13 minutes ago, hugh said:

What is your schedule looking like next week........................:ph34r:

Busy Monday Tuesday otherwise free at this stage.  Race you up Arthur’s Seat.....

in for RWC tomorrow then club reg so that’s the only proviso but should be sorted by late in the week

2 hours ago, DJM said:

Doug, I think I heard you then saw a red BMW flash past my house this afternoon.  I thought to myself I bet that was Doug with his new toy and then I saw this post.  Sounded good.  I was out painting a side fence.  Could hear the growl from Nepean Highway then up Tower Rd.  It was you wasn't it?

I was hoping you would come back down the hill but no such luck, so back to painting I went.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 20/05/2020 at 20:11, DJM said:

Sorry for the sidetrack, back to Dattos

https://youtu.be/BhN745aV2f4

only just caught up with this clip now.....sensational.....impressed with the Buck 80 SSS.  

This was the 180B Super Sonic Shit, I restored. Sadly sold it to a chap from NSW in 2003.  It was originally red but I gave it a dose of  FORD Le Mans Redimg320.thumb.jpeg.413cf57690238a6de693cc331518788d.jpeg

Nissan Datsun Sports Owners Club show in Shepparton around 2000, from memory

img319.thumb.jpeg.a675d7e96e800a2c3d388775cd8e991a.jpeg

Kept it completely SSS specifications and working parts under the bonnet.

1013937298_2003Ian.thumb.jpeg.b9597ffd2e5c3e7f6cb61a77bf30b44c.jpeg

The Day I sold it.    :(

^shes a beaut.  My brother had a red SSS and I had a “Miami Blue” early 90s.  I was out in the city one night and came home to find someone had ploughed up the back of it and driven off.  Sledgehammered the boot out so I could drive it but soon after it made its way to Harvey Wreckers in Langwarrin 😢

did my first track day in that car Monash Uni Car Club early 90s.  A massive 165 down the straight at PI IIRC

1 hour ago, firstone said:

Good and sad memories there Niko.

But now you have a Porsche. Cayman at that. 👍

yes it was sad to see it driving off, but it went to a good home, and I think it is still floating around in NSW somewhere now.    We were the second owner of the car, and Mrs NIKO drove it for a long time while I was mucking around with 1600"s then she cooked the head, so I decided to restore it completely.   This was not long after we bought the car.  It was in pretty good nick.   It was a 1975 model built in April, so it was actually the same age as our daughter.   These photos taken in 1982 or close to it..

But your right all said and done....Older and wiser (?) the much more modern Cayman is the car now....And it's a great car...

img308.thumb.jpeg.d37a55daeba4d885d11674e700bef729.jpegimg310.thumb.jpeg.9782a316611f8936a2feb8b8fba4223a.jpeg 

Pretty cool to do a resto.

Around that time i got into an RX 4.

Bloke had stripped it of everything and had it very well painted. We threw everything in the shell and on a trailer. Buffed every part and nut and bolt and found where it all went. Love the early Japanese cars for their simplicity and room to work.

Lost my pictures but yours brings it all back. 

Nice that you preserved a good one. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got my JDM fix yesterday at the yearly Sakura Picnic organised by the Toyota Car Club. 

Amongst the hundreds of JDM cars of all eras I found these two gems. The white being a rarer 2 door sedan.

IMG_20210502_103131877.thumb.jpg.daeddc80ca5c434046d5387e782f5581.jpg

IMG_20210502_102459757.thumb.jpg.5f3d7f790771f16ebf34be74335511d7.jpg

Torn between my next car being a 2 door 510 coupe as always wanted one when I owned my 1600 or a series 1 RX7. I've also always wanted to own rotary - NA Bridgeport 13B ideally!

2 hours ago, Dalai said:

Got my JDM fix yesterday at the yearly Sakura Picnic organised by the Toyota Car Club. 

Amongst the hundreds of JDM cars of all eras I found these two gems. The white being a rarer 2 door sedan.

IMG_20210502_103131877.thumb.jpg.daeddc80ca5c434046d5387e782f5581.jpg

IMG_20210502_102459757.thumb.jpg.5f3d7f790771f16ebf34be74335511d7.jpg

Torn between my next car being a 2 door 510 coupe as always wanted one when I owned my 1600 or a series 1 RX7. I've also always wanted to own rotary - NA Bridgeport 13B ideally!

Best of both worlds - 13B BP in a 1600.  

I went with that setup in a track 1600 after the old L18 turbo grenaded itself for the second time. I really missed the torque though, shoulda gone BP turbo.

Many rotaries at yesterday's meet. Need rotary BRAP's in my future!

But can't fit one in a Datto Doug. Currently getting my engine rebuilt for my MR2 turbo. Many people are K-swapping to get reliable cheap  horsepower but I can't transplant a Honda motor into a Toyota! Instead going with a more expensive Toyota build using a stronger 5S-FE block with the 3S-GTE head and forged internals.

• 4 weeks later...