Detailing my 944

TINGY

Just thought i would share my experience polishing my car with a random orbital polisher.

First off this all started after a weekend away and my trip down the Putty Rd resulted in my car copping a bit of a beating from the falling/fallen sticks from the extremely high winds we encountered that day.

And i will say when it comes to my cars i am a bit OCD, but not as bad as some who take their cars down the road to a car wash when we do an over nighter, you know who you are.:D

I figure you pay decent money for a nice car you should keep it looking as best you can.

So when we were away Peter M offered to lend me his polishing gear to get the scratches out of my car. I tried some of my polish which will get rid of scratches and swirls and the marks were gone pretty swiftly. I then used some of Pete's compound and the difference was amazing. This compound was the Menzerna 500 heavy cut compound used with a cutting pad. by the end of the weekend i was on the Car care products Australia website searching for which kit i would buy.

I ended up with this https://www.carcareproducts.com. which from what i could tell was the same as Pete's. 

It is a 3 stage compound system for doing almost any car, i used the heavy cut compound and on a car like mine i was glad i had 2 cutting pads in my kit because i used both on my car. As it is a solid color with no clearcoat the compound combined with the cutting pads really bites in to the paint and takes off a fine layer and reveals a deep gloss. Now this gloss gets better when you move down through the compounds and match it with the pads supplied, this is the result i achieved. 

I have to say as well that i have no background in doing this sort of thing professionally and have no affiliation with car care products, this was just me having a go in my garage and getting a pretty satisfying result, it's not perfect but i'm happy. Sorry the pics aren't that great.

1GF5nyK.jpg

S3GXIo1.jpg

pNmS5a9.jpg

zRH4pqu.jpg

k7ynVEb.jpg

p6uLF3X.jpg

EgW32Gu.jpg

14 minutes ago, npvpositive said:

Looks great!  I also have that polisher and find it does a great job without any risk to the paint (unless you really want to do damage)

I found the same thing, the pads and compounds you get in a kit are very well matched so it is not so easy to make a mistake, still have to careful with edges etc.

• 8 months later...

An excellent job, red is notorious for fading but that looks Factory-fresh. Id go for some top quality high-Carnauba wax though to protect it, or a good sealant.

And if its a really good, swirl-free finish, and as you're clearly capable, a ceramic coating.

Archived