Advice for some modes on an SC

Angel

New to the Porsche family having recently purchased an '82 3.0SC and am wanting to do a few things to it. Would appreciate any advice from the brains trust on the forum on any of the below items;

1. Shocks - which ones/model - not too firm, Bilstein???????

2. Brake Pads - best pads to give some better feel in the pedal?

3. Sport Exhaust - have seen the Monty systems, thoughts on this or is there something else??

4. Strut Brace - any particular one better than the other?

Or if anyone has any of the above noted items that they are looking to get rid of, happy to talk.

Thanks in advance for all you help.

Monty for sale here

porscheforum.com.au/topic/13505-monty-2-in-1-out-for-sa

As for headers, SSi's are the go. Not cheap, Yet do work well.

Strut brace. Most things will do the same job, just different prices ?

Other than that, I'm sure many will give you the answers you seek 

My advice would be to go through all the suspension wear items first and replace where necessary - bushes, tie rod ends etc - then assess whether you want new shocks or not.  The standard setup is not bad, but it depends what you are looking for. Look at your existing ones - they'll likely be either Koni or Bilstein - id by color.  Also look at things like engine/gearbox mounts, gear shift bushings and anything that makes the car feel not tight.

Exhaust - Montys are good exhausts, there are other brands.   You don't get much more than sound unless you change out the actual headers (see Lees comment above).  The SC engines are not really that tuneable unless you remove the standard injection and replace with something else.  

42 minutes ago, Coastr said:

My advice would be to go through all the suspension wear items first and replace where necessary - bushes, tie rod ends etc - then assess whether you want new shocks or not.  The standard setup is not bad, but it depends what you are looking for. Look at your existing ones - they'll likely be either Koni or Bilstein - id by color.  Also look at things like engine/gearbox mounts, gear shift bushings and anything that makes the car feel not tight.

Exhaust - Montys are good exhausts, there are other brands.   You don't get much more than sound unless you change out the actual headers (see Lees comment above).  The SC engines are not really that tuneable unless you remove the standard injection and replace with something else.  

Thanks for the help guys, greatly appreciated.

@Coastr definitely going through all of those items as you mention - bushes etc. In regards to the exhaust, what would the suggestion be for for the headers, as I'm hearing this is the thing to do from most people?

Cheers

57 minutes ago, Angel said:

In regards to the exhaust, what would the suggestion be for for the headers, as I'm hearing this is the thing to do from most people?

SSi headers ?

1 hour ago, Angel said:

In regards to the exhaust, what would the suggestion be for for the headers, as I'm hearing this is the thing to do from most people?

SSI's are good.

If you value your hearing - DANSK

If you're already half deaf and don't care about your neighbours - MONTY

Unless you're going to track your car, there's nothing wrong with the standard style of brake pads. I'm currently using repco pads, and they seem to work just fine.

2. What kind of braking "feel" are you chasing? - On the track? Street? Less travel? Less fade? Bit more feedback would be nice.
Ive had good luck with just the standard Porsche compound, but have needed to change fluids.
- ATE Blue Stuff (Brake Fluid) is good for the street, but seems limited on the track. Currently trying out ProjectMu GFour 335.
4. X Brace is by far the coolest. Thats all really right? 

And turbo tierods.  One of the best bang for buck mods on an SC.  You'll be wondering why you're not wandering.  If you have a catalytic converter or pre muffler, bin it and put a "test pipe" in. It will make your stock muffler sound like it has a pack of rabid dogs inside it.

Archived