Porsche 944 Turbo

I am considering selling part of my Porsche collection.

I have a 1989 Turbo ( 250 hp model with 928 front brakes and forged wheels)

Other details are:

-  red and black interior

-157,000 kms

- Australian delivery

- service history

- original refurbed radio

- belts done and serviced last year

- concours  condition ( not a chip on the paint) immaculate condition exterior and interior

Interested in view as to value of such a vehicle. What do members think?

Rai 

Hi Rai, doesn’t sound like its worth much so I would be happy to take it off your hands! Sorry not helping but would love to see some pictures. My guesstimate would be $35-$40k

Much to my disgust it seems that the market has slumped somewhat in the last 12/18mths.  Good cars (in the Turbo/ S2 segment) sell but they either take a good while if they are priced north of $35k or the prices steadily drop until they sell in the 30- 40k range depending on how good they are.  I've been very surprised to see nice S2s lingering long & then selling once they reach the high 20's - and these are nice looking cars.  Very frustrating.  I wish it was like this when I was looking.  Of course I only buy cars & houses & US dollars when the market is at it's highest in living memory - sadly I'm not too bright..............

Having said that Rai, do the bloody right thing & post some photos ?.....STAT.......daddy wants to see what daddy likes.............

As a potential buyer of a 944S2 or Turbo who has had to sell 911s in the current market, I know stuff just isn't worth what we think it is ? 

My dilemma is sensible and pragmatic thinking...  $30k gets me a very nice Boxster 987 with less kms than most 944s, better safety equipment, more choice, and arguably a better drive; $40k gets me a Boxster S... The only pragmatic reason I should look for a 944 is that they have probably depreciated as much as they're likely to (whereas Boxsters have a way to go); they are now rarer and there is some 'nostalgia' value; and they are not too far off earning that 'classic' moniker every Hipster strives for.

Don't start me on 968s...

Keen to hear what you price your car at...

5 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

As a potential buyer of a 944S2 or Turbo who has had to sell 911s in the current market, I know stuff just isn't worth what we think it is ? 

My dilemma is sensible and pragmatic thinking...  $30k gets me a very nice Boxster 987 with less kms than most 944s, better safety equipment, more choice, and arguably a better drive; $40k gets me a Boxster S... The only pragmatic reason I should look for a 944 is that they have probably depreciated as much as they're likely to (whereas Boxsters have a way to go); they are now rarer and there is some 'nostalgia' value; and they are not too far off earning that 'classic' moniker every Hipster strives for.

Don't start me on 968s...

Keen to hear what you price your car at...

Unfortunately that logic doesn't come into play when we are talking classic cars .... 

If we used that as a benchmark, you could also buy a brand new car for Boxter 987 money and still have change left over ....

A Boxter buyer doesn't want a new car, the same as a classic car buyer doesn't want a "modern" Boxter.... the same as I don't want a newer 911 over an air cooled one .... 

The heart wants what the heart wants ...

5 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Unfortunately that logic doesn't come into play when we are talking classic cars .... 

If we used that as a benchmark, you could also buy a brand new car for Boxter 987 money and still have change left over ....

A Boxter buyer doesn't want a new car, the same as a classic car buyer doesn't want a "modern" Boxter.... the same as I don't want a newer 911 over an air cooled one .... 

The heart wants what the heart wants ...

True.  But as someone who fell into and has actively gotten out of "classic 911" ownership for many reasons, I'm looking for a driving experience within the marque that offers value for money.  My heart is wooden :D my pocket is passionate...

3 minutes ago, MARTY said:

You are right @jakroo just very expensive for a good one,surely the 944 turbo is equally as good and cheaper 

As I have rightly been schooled on the 968 - it is indeed the ultimate evolution of the series in every way, but built in the trough of Porsche's financial woes and targeted to the Gordon Gekkos of the late 20th century who wanted to be seen and non necessarily drive - hence the over-supply of autos compared to manuals (and I'm not bagging the 968 auto).  But I can't reconcile spending $50k+ to get into a 'vanilla' 968 manual; and it would seem looking at CarSales, neither can anyone else...  Then again I bought early 911s when they were sub $15k and accidently rode a wave.

I agree that the 944 turbo (and 944S2) should be a very close drive to the 968 in performance terms, but in this case I'm struggling to reconcile a 20-30 year old car against <10 year Boxster with all the safety and comfort...

Sorry Rai, we're probably not helping :) 

Well i will start, anyone who value's this car under 40k wants to buy it, forged wheels, more than likely it's S spec with M030?

It's well north of 40k in my opinion. Ok i'm biased you say, of course because i know how good these cars are. 

I really can't understand why everyone wants to push down the value on these cars, they are rare in the Clubsport package and that means with the M030 included.

Yeah i know that a lot of people say you can add all this stuff yourself and have the same car, but will you?

I guess it's like comparing a 993 Turbo S or a 73 RS, sure you can copy it any time you want but it ain't the same, yeah nah.

5 minutes ago, MARTY said:

You are right @jakroo just very expensive for a good one,surely the 944 turbo is equally as good and cheaper 

Actually the 944 turbo of' 88-'89 is more than likely a better car in terms of comfort and power, well it is a better car so maybe the turbo should have a premium on the 968CS. 

Now i have lusted after a 968CS for a few years now but after a drive i did a few weeks ago where i had a passenger in my car who had just hopped out of a 968CS that he was driving and being a passenger in for a couple of days said to me, this is way better than the CS. This guy is also a serious car guy and can pedal a car around. To hear him say that i was very surprised i must say, he said it felt similar on the road except the turbo was way more comfortable over the bumps and he was surprised i wasn't shifting gears more because that's what he found in the CS.

I am not saying that this is definitive that the turbo is better but you have to wonder don't you? Sort of makes you wonder why are the CS's are so much more expensive than the 944 Turbo's from '88 onwards, yep i know the CS are newer but are they really worth that much more?

I also drove a Boxster S on the same weekend, nice car, good power, nice exhaust note, quick steering, big wheels, found myself bracing in the seat as i was hitting bumps and also could not drive one of these on a long run, legroom and comfort was not great.

If you are considering a 968CS don't discount the '88 and on 944 Turbo's, get in one and drive one you may get a surprise, there are quite a few differences between the cars with servicing etc but at the end of the day it would probably even itself out.

48 minutes ago, MARTY said:

I personally think that all cars from this era are under rated.  Some are more rare than others, some are more beaten up than others, and some are auto and not manuals.  They are all front engined and water cooled  In the end, whether it's a 924/928/944/968, they are great cars for good fun driving that you can enjoy in rain, hail or shine, on smooth A grade or rough C grade roads without having to break the bank each time you drive it.  Yes they are older but they are also much easier to drive nearer to the limit of the car's technology irrespective of conditions and still keep other road users safe and your licence in an operational state.

In terms of the specifics of the original poster's question, I have no idea but I do know that after you've spent the money, there's fun to be had out there on the road instead of this keyboard. 

I'm off for a drive in my 968 tipper.....

Tingy, I really appreciate that write up.

I've driven NA 944s and loved them - I'm leaning into thinking the S2 may be the best all-rounder for the coin.  I guess I should have a drive of a tipper 968 just to understand one.  But I did have a ride in a 944T some time ago that has stuck with me...

The blue manual 968 on CS is literally 5km from where I live, but that price is still far too high for me to bother him with a phone call.  

Rai, I hope some of this dialogue helps you.  If you do have a price in mind, feel free to PM me.

You only have to look at the comments on this very forum on the issues with some of the very new cars being too harsh for the every day driver.  This could well be due to poor choice of vehicle compared to actual needs or perhaps the set up needs to be changed.

Old cars are no different.  I know my car needs the rear end torsion bar re-indexed so it sits a little low at the rear and is probably a little more skittish than it should be.  I have only recently put new tyres on it.  This has transformed the car, it's quieter, more compliant and much better behaved.  Even a few PSI in the tyres away from ideal will cause a vehicle to feel different.  I'm not the original owner and have no idea as to what any of the previous owners have done if anything to change the car from factory.  Old rubber bushes, worn joints etc will all impact how a vehicle drives.

The CS variants/equivalents of many manufacturers are typically a harsher ride as they're set up for track or fast travel on good roads, and we really don't do a lot of that on a day to day basis.  Hence the car then needs to either be tweaked to be okay in every day life, or you adjust your expectation, or you swap out the car for something else. 

How you drive will also influence how it handles.  I've got lazy with the 11 years of driving my Evo - all wheel drive, amazing handling, stacks and stacks of torque and power on tap and sublime steering and it becomes point and shoot in to and out of the corner....too fast entry is no issue, just hold your nerve, tighten the turn and keep on it.  This much older 968 with a slow moving auto transmission (in reality probably about the same as a manual change and not snap your fingers sharpness of a modern PDK or similar) and old school acceleration is a different beast and I find I'm having to actually think about driving, and I'm enjoying this to no end.

If the 944 turbo has similar acceleration traits (ie the way it comes on boost and so on, not the outright speed) to my Evo then it'll be a sensational drive.  I have no idea whether it's better than my normally aspirated 968, but I do know it's different.  And that's fine by me. If the world was all red over black, or only turbo or only manual or only this or that,then it'd be a pretty boring place and that would suck. 

Fishcop, get out and see the CS, if for no reason but to discount it from the equation irrespective of $$.  Because if there's a bunch of vehicles for sale for a long time, then the price (regardless of manufacturer) is too much.  You've had to amend your thoughts on this for your 911, so the same holds true for any other vehicle.

Fine advice @jackroo  I've certainly become a lot more pragmatic about my driving - I don't race, I don't do track days anymore, and I don't want to be constantly maintaining old machinery.  Perhaps I will go take a look at the local 968 and/or try a tiptronic...

@Rai if your car is as good as your description in my opinion it is a 45k + car any day of the week. I know a lot of people will disagree with me and that's fine. 

Good cars are extremely hard to find with up to date service records and a loving owner but my advice is if you find one, jump on it.

The problem with the 944's in general is that they were always known as the poor mans Porsche and some owners have treated them that way unfortunately. These cars are so different to 911's of the same era, thankfully.

When it comes to maintenance, find a car with good history and talk to owners as i find this helps to get a good gauge on what needs fixing as well.

@Fishcop i live in Newcastle so if you ever want to try out a 944 Turbo i'm sure we can work something out, also the Port Mac 968,  i have it on good authority that the car needs nothing doing to it. $57k may sound like a lot of money but think of it this way, if it was $37k and you had to spend even 10k on it would it be a good buy? Talk to @Jason E about what he has spent on his S2 to bring it back and you may get a shock.

If it's your thing and you are driving to be seen, get a 911, if you truly want a great all round front engine Porsche buy a 944.

I have been lucky enough to own a 86 2.5, an 89 S2 and this 89 Turbo and all have been great cars, also if i had the money and the space at the moment, the blue 968 in Port would be mine.

I’d agree over $40k for what sounds like a good one.

But you’ve gotta want one. I’d love one if I had unlimited means - I started my Porsche search looking for a 944 Turbo. Wouldn’t mind one one day. But I’m still stuck on 911’s.

2 hours ago, Rai said:

Thanks for the response. At $40-$45lk I will not sell as can ever another car in such condition for the price.

The real price is 70k mate, just no one wants to pay it because the engine is in the front.

6 minutes ago, TINGY944 said:

The real price is 70k mate, just no one wants to pay it because the engine is in the front.

Let me know if you require any support...

• 1 month later...
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, GUT said:

I’d agree over $40k for what sounds like a good one.

But you’ve gotta want one. I’d love one if I had unlimited means - I started my Porsche search looking for a 944 Turbo. Wouldn’t mind one one day. But I’m still stuck on 911’s.

and 928s :P

Archived