Question on resale value of imported car with Rally Rego

Hi, I have found an interesting (rare in Australia) P car overseas, and am considering importing for personal casual motorsport use, under the Rally Rego scheme (VIC).

I know that imports vs Aus delivered cars take a hit on resale (10% - 15% seems to be common range), and wondering if anyone has experience with selling a car that can only be Rally registered by the new owner. Obviously this will greatly reduce the potential buyers, but this car seems to be a good price and so even after discounting it might be ok. Plus being a rare and reasonably desirable model means some potential for holding or increasing value.

For reference; this  specific car delivered and registered (inc GST, LCT etc) would be AUD$88,000. Theoretically, if the same spec car were for sale in Australia, Aus delivered, normal rego would be $120,000. There are currently none of this model for sale in Australia.

So even if I allowed for a 10% discount for being an import and then an additional 20% discount for being restricted to a Rally Rego = about $88k starting price. But maybe it's more likely to be a 50% haircut for Rally Rego, I have no idea.

Would be interested to hear thoughts please.

Thanks

More likely 20 to 30% for being an import, and that again for rally rego in my opinion. Unless it's an exceptionally rare car that a lot of people would like to own, I can't see you selling it in a hurry, or it increasing much in value, as race cars are such a narrow market here

If its has factory drivers in the log book , maybe that will get you some kudos , other than that ..you are wasting your money , if money is a consideration..  If its for smiles and or because of how its prepped.. go for it.   I would ask youself how long you want to keep it for ..??

Hard sell in any market 

I considered a car that could only be rally reg and, after considering the criteria and limits on use, I decided no way.  Firstly I don't hold cams licence at the level required and even if I did it would be pretty difficult to legally use at all on the road.

In terms of resale, you have a VERY limited pool of people who meet the criteria AND want your car AND are prepared to pay your asking price.  It might only appeal as a non reg dedicated track car but at well under $100k you are spoilt for choice of track cars on my105 etc.  think about a road reg 996 or 997 GT3 at $150k - $200k vs 996 or 997 Cup plentiful at 50 - 70k......how's your 88k look now?

The old adage "it's worth what someone is prepared to pay for it" applies, heavily influenced by a very likely lack of buyer competition

I’d be interested to know what model is rare for $88k landed? Rally reg is hard to get & hard to use it only allows you to use the car if you are entered in an official cams rally (that’s my understanding)

As far as value on resale I would discount it 50% compared to the registered equivalents here maybe more.. I have seen plenty examples like this.

Is this car already set up for motorsport? 

Thanks everyone. What I hadn't realised was how restrictive it was to get a rally permit, much harder than I thought and so yes I agree it drastically reduces buyer pool (and resale value). I think you've successfully talked me out of that, and for that my wife thanks you :)

A NZ delivered Cayman R, has been sitting on the market for a while and price has been reduced; https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1570325445

The list price includes 15% NZ GST, which would be removed if exported. Adding transport, LCT, GST and customs by my math comes to about AUD $88k

For my purposes (non-competitive events like Targa Tours) this would be a great car, but I appreciate it's not a real race car and so under rally permit would not be desirable. I had misunderstood the rally permit to be any CAMS membership, but now understand the National Rally Licence is specific to competition.

So a RHD NZ delivered Cayman R (albeit with some mods) cant be fully registered in aus? I would have thought some hoop jumping (engineers report, RWC, Porsche Australia approval/certification etc) would get the appropriate rubber stamp.

My understanding is that importation is only possible under either a Rally Rego or if the car is owned by a NZ resident (for 12 mths +) who is relocating to Australia. I don't think there would be any issues of registration, road worthy etc.

1 hour ago, CarreraG50 said:

So a RHD NZ delivered Cayman R (albeit with some mods) cant be fully registered in aus? I would have thought some hoop jumping (engineers report, RWC, Porsche Australia approval/certification etc) would get the appropriate rubber stamp.

Porsche would need to issue a letter of compliance stating that the vehicle was built to comply with the ADRs when first used in transport. Even if it was (identical spec to Australia and ADR compliant), I don't think Porsche Australia would be too eager to assist with such a request. 

Like many have already mentioned, if this is was a race only car here, I can't see it selling for more than a cup car. I would se it's value would probably be somewhere around $30-40k? (purely a guess).

2 hours ago, poli84 said:

Porsche would need to issue a letter of compliance stating that the vehicle was built to comply with the ADRs when first used in transport. Even if it was (identical spec to Australia and ADR compliant), I don't think Porsche Australia would be too eager to assist with such a request. 

mmmm so I need one like this, any master forgers on the forum??

1982 Porsche 911 SC Manual

4 hours ago, CarreraG50 said:

mmmm so I need one like this, any master forgers on the forum??

1982 Porsche 911 SC Manual

haha yup, the modern day equivalent is exactly what would be needed. Is this from a car currently on the market?

12 hours ago, James P said:

As far as value on resale I would discount it 50% compared to the registered equivalents here maybe more.. I have seen plenty examples like this.

Perfect if he brings in for $88k I'll buy it off him for $40k

actually on on second thoughts I'll take a 996 Cup for $55k....

13 hours ago, poli84 said:

haha yup, the modern day equivalent is exactly what would be needed. Is this from a car currently on the market?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1982/SSE-AD-5427205/?Cr=1

Its the import approval you need , that letter easily scanned and PDFed .. seen that done a few times with JDM cars ..

Just get an NZer to personal import it for ya , im sure they have a way ..when relocating here

1 hour ago, symsy said:

Its the import approval you need , that letter easily scanned and PDFed .. seen that done a few times with JDM cars ..

But you would need that letter (letter of compliance), in order to obtain the import approval. DIRD wouldn't issue one without the letter if you are applying for the VIA on the basis of the 'letter of compliance' option. 

It is not hard to get a letter  if your car complies .. I just went back through a process on another car .. rego and recheck of approval and it was all serviced by an official email from Porsche.

• 5 months later...
On 25/05/2018 at 08:37, symsy said:

It is not hard to get a letter  if your car complies .. I just went back through a process on another car .. rego and recheck of approval and it was all serviced by an official email from Porsche.

Hi Symsy. Do you have contact details for Porsche where the letter of compliance was issued please?

Years ago when I was trying to import a BMW I contacted BMW about getting a letter of compliance and I swear I could hear their laughter when they read my request.  Porsche and BMW are not the same company but after that encounter I figured the letter of compliance was something they used to bring their own vehicles in for testing and demos but not something they helped out the general public with.   The letter shown here was written long before the current rules where in place.  But probably if you know the right people you could get such a thing.  Eg if you were a dealer.   The Australian distributors of brands here are fiercely protective of their cash cow monopoly and are actively hostile to any type of imported car.  Unless you're perusing the options list and ticking $10k carbon fibre trim boxes they don't seem to want to know you.

back to the topic at hand - ive never seen a car imported with the rally option, but I suppose they exist.

I'm hoping I'm wrong on this - I was under the impression that you could not import a car, for any purpose, if the same model had been sold here by the dealer network.  So if I wanted to bring in a Cayman R, to put in my yard as art....or to track once a week (ie no consideration of rego) I didn't think it possible, due to the same car being sold here at some point.  I'd love to be corrected on this......as I'm currently looking for a track only car & the prices os seem appealing.  Current case:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/porsche/auction-1733622050.htm?rsqid=f670a8224a424de1a4c69ee4acdb1261

Archived