Running a GT3 out of warranty

Number9

Dear All,

I am keen on getting myself a GT3 at some point, hopefully soon. I am looking at 997's, ideally .2. These cars are now 7-8 years old and most have no official Porsche warranty.

1. Is it possible to reactivate a Porsche warranty once the original one has expired if there has been any time after the original one finished? I realise they are very particular about the vehicles and will not warranty a car if it has any modifications but would be interested to see if this is an option

2. Do people use any other companies for warranties?

3. Do most people run these cars without a warranty and, if so, how reliable are they (very vague question, I realise!), since engine / gearbox problems are likely to be extremely expensive.

Many thanks for your help

Just to add, it will be mostly for road use, with the occasional track day. Thanks

30 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Dear All,

I am keen on getting myself a GT3 at some point, hopefully soon. I am looking at 997's, ideally .2. These cars are now 7-8 years old and most have no official Porsche warranty.

1. Is it possible to reactivate a Porsche warranty once the original one has expired if there has been any time after the original one finished? I realise they are very particular about the vehicles and will not warranty a car if it has any modifications but would be interested to see if this is an option

2. Do people use any other companies for warranties?

3. Do most people run these cars without a warranty and, if so, how reliable are they (very vague question, I realise!), since engine / gearbox problems are likely to be extremely expensive.

Many thanks for your help

Just to add, it will be mostly for road use, with the occasional track day. Thanks

pretty sure you can only get Porsche warranty and they wont want a break. If some one has let it lapse, no chance of getting it back under warranty  Lots of owners stump up the extra cash to  extend (about $2k)  so would be surprised if there wasn't some cars with it still in place. Not sure how long you can extend it for though...google says 9 years.

Yup reliable , very .. just find your self a good mechanic , maybe a crew that runs cup cars .. and get a normal service at the Pcar dealership

its very very well engineered car that isnt hard to look after… and is easy to work … all that said , my biggest years costs of motoring in a Pcar yet ..10,000kms in a GT3 

OEM Parts are a total rip off here vs the States

buy one ..  awesome bits of kit and 997 A DREAM!!

+1 on locally sourced OEM parts costs, ugh. If you can time it right and get all your consumables from O/S it saves you a bundle. Like Symsy said a good mechanic that works on race cars a lot will do better work and diagnose issues faster than the local dealership (as per my recent experience with the master and slave clutch cylinders). The cars themselves are well engineered. Mine has copped a beating, the previous owner did quite a few track days, I did eight just last year, three this year so far and apart from the MC/SC failing it's been good.

Pretty much bomb proof.

Warranty is only in play in my book on catastrophic failures.  Small stuff is part of the “joy” of ownership.

These cars don’t have the Big Let Go unless they’ve been very badly neglected and even then its surprising how well they’ll go.  Remember, they were conceived to homologate the Cup Cars.  

Keep up the service schedule and feed the engine the best oil you can buy and change it more regularly than recommended and barring any loss of talent that causes damage, you’ll be fine.

Parts prices not crazy on consumables and some nice after market stuff like brake rotors.  Shop around locally and OS and its manageable  

Gearboxes need warmth so don’t spank the shift when it’s cold and again, you’ll be fine. 

‘Agree with Symsy that the 997 variant is the best value going around. 

5 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. Is anyone aware of a good mechanic in the Brisbane area?

I have been hearing good rumblings about this dude.. Brett at Flat sixMotorsport   , No association 

18 hours ago, symsy said:

I have been hearing good rumblings about this dude.. Brett at Flat sixMotorsport   , No association 

Brett won't touch WC motors and it seems is reluctant to take on new business.

Would you still get a pre-purchase inspection through a Porsche dealer if buying one of these cars from an independent dealer? There is one at Autohaus Hamilton which looks pretty good - I don’t know Autohaus at all, but understand they have a good reputation. And what do people think of that car? (Black 997.2 GT3). Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I’m late to the party but if you get a good example, maintain and treat it right, it’ll let you play dirty as often as you like. 

Just don’t forget who’s boss... 

Shit it, sounds a lot like this other relationship I have. 

Archived