996 front bump stop replacement

gelb996

I have replaced my suspension. What you are asking to do 'can be done'.

Me personally, :

• compress spring
  • undo the strut top (mark of course)
  • swing out suspension for room
  • Rattle gun the top off - personally, I would replace the strut tops as these are a wear item
  • Replace stopper
  • and as they say in the classics - reverse procedure from here

Truthfully I can't recall, but if memory serves there is an allen key in the shaft of the strut? I'm honestly making this up, I can't recall - sorry!

I also replaced the complete unit, so there was no dis-assembly, just compress, remove, compress new and replace

Hey @gelb996

I did this job a couple of weeks ago. To be honest its pretty straight forward and i would recommend taking the strut out as you will likely scratch paint otherwise. Its really only 1 more bolt to get out and its loose.

On the back of the strut there is a stupid plastic mount, i snapped both of mine and just use a cable tie to hold the cable after.

Follow pelican until they say unbolt the lower arm from the chassis, i managed to get away without doing this. Removing the top is a case of an allen key (i have a socket set version) and then a spanner (22mm i think) and just undo it. I could only get 1 spring compressor on due to how few the coils are on the springs.

While you have it all apart think about replacing brake pads/rotors/wear sensors and take a look at the rubber grommets.

Do not use a rattle gun on the strut top bolts, check out Project Jelly Bean for what happens when you do and also some pics of the change over.

Pelican parts have a guide here: Pelican parts link

Are you using a hoist? 

If you have any questions let me know.

Cheers,

Taffy

16 hours ago, gelb996 said:

For my info, what make of suspension did you install and are you happy with the performance?

Koni yellow adjustables and eibach springs = loved it although it was low!

• 4 years later...

I need to replace my bump stops on my 2001 996 cab but am reading about how dangerous spring compressors can be.  From those that have used spring compressors how dangerous did you find it and what type/brand of spring compressors did you use?  Also see differing opinions about changing top mounts, strut mount bearings, top nuts etc.  These all add considerable cost to the replacement.  My struts are original, so 21 years old but seem to be fine.  When they eventually need replacing I will probably replace them with coilovers at that time, so want to avoid additional expenses if possible and doesn't affect the ride of the car.  It has done 86k kms

2 hours ago, Shane911 said:

I need to replace my bump stops on my 2001 996 cab but am reading about how dangerous spring compressors can be.  From those that have used spring compressors how dangerous did you find it and what type/brand of spring compressors did you use?  Also see differing opinions about changing top mounts, strut mount bearings, top nuts etc.  These all add considerable cost to the replacement.  My struts are original, so 21 years old but seem to be fine.  When they eventually need replacing I will probably replace them with coilovers at that time, so want to avoid additional expenses if possible and doesn't affect the ride of the car.  It has done 86k kms

Mate easy job, I did a couple of months ago on my 996 so I could get it registered in Tassie - the bump stops were non-existent.

I replaced the top mounts, probably didn't need to really do, but would certainly suggest replacing the bearing plate (item 11 on the parts diagram - about $135 from Autohaus).   My old ones were certainly very gritty and the grease was quite solid.   I really only used Spring Compressors lightly, as there was very little tension on the springs when I removed the bolt on the damper (my mechanic said he usually doesn;t even need to use them).  In order to get the top of the strut from out of the guard you will most likely have to loosen off the lower pivot bolts, which will mean taking off the under tray.  Compress the springs with the jack to approximate normal ride height.  when you're finished so you can tighten the lower pivot bolts again and put the undertray back on.  You may need to get some more undertray clips to put this back on. 

Otherwise, suggest you follow instructions in Wayne Dempsey's 101 things to do book, or look on the Pelican Parts website, and FCP Euro have a great catalogue of Youtube clips showing how to do such things.

I'm a bean counter who hasn't touched the tools much for a while, but as I said, easy job, just make sure you have the front of the car on jackstands while you're doing this work.

Thanks very much TwoHeads (that sounds insulting, lol) I will do this myself after your feedback and will follow your advice.  I also have the Wayne Dempsey 101 things to do on your Porsche 996 and closely follow FCPEuro "how to" videos (and buy most of my parts from them (I can get the bump stops from Pelican Parts including shipping for approx AUD$50 cheaper than from Porsche but also use MasterParts here in Australia

3 hours ago, Shane911 said:

@twoheads, did you just do the fronts or did you do the rears as well?  I looked at my rears and they seem pretty good.

Only did bump stops on fronts.  Also installed H&R lowering springs which, of course, meant I had to take the rears out too though....