986 'S' vs 987

Fishcop

Having recently sold 3 early 911s relocating and renovating; I was going to sit out Porsche ownership for a while.  My good wife knowing that she would likely have to spend more time with me that she prefers has kindly flagged her preparedness to indulge me in another P-car.  The stipulation is that it must be registered and drivable by her - should she want to...  She was perpetually shy of driving the early 911s due to noise/smell/attention they attracted.

Having released my penchant for the aircooled I am prepared to delve into water-pumpers.  I was going to spend more, but have decided to restrict myself to a $30k Porsche spend.  Still debating a front engined car in the 944 vein - maybe springing for a 968.  But there seems to be a fair bit of value in the Boxter...

My question to the gallery is; do I spend circa $30k on a 986S  - a car with looks that don't appeal to me, but I do like the 3.2 S performance or do I chase a 2.7 engined 987 with the more attractive front end?  Anything I buy in this range will be a manual transmission.  Pros/cons?  Thanks for any advice/experience/perspective :) 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, had a 987, 07 build 2.7 manual for 4 years. Never had a problem, traded it in on a 997 07 build manual.

A few things come to mind.

A bit short on power, go for the 987s for the more power

Roof down in Brisbane summer is just too harsh on the head, so consider the sun impact

Soft top maintenance once a year

Cayman is an option

Early 986 3.2S  six speed, lighter,  S brakes etc is a way better drivers car in more than a few areas than the heavier slower 987 2.7 5 speed... the front will grow on you and the smaller size also... You'll pay 5k less for the 3.2 than the 2.7 and in better cond if you wait it out a bit.. I've looked over few of the cheaper 987 non S lately and they were all a little average in cond and hist.....

3 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Go the 987 2.7 or 944... no logic behind this suggestion other than the last thing I need is someone else beating me to a nice, well priced 986 3.2 S haha ?

there is a lovely low km, yellow one for sale up near you.

Ha ha.  I did see the yellow one - seems nice.  Though like many,  I just can't do yellow ? 

4 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Ha ha.  I did see the yellow one - seems nice.  Though like many,  I just can't do yellow ? 

Yeah my thought exactly. I like it to look at but don’t want to drive one. There isn’t many out there at the moment and I think I have contacted nearly every owner that’s selling one haha 

30k + is just too much for the good ones for me. It’s too close into the 987 range. https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2007/SSE-AD-5411274

I preferred the overall package of the 987 2.7 to the 986S, for similar money, around 4 years ago.  Back to back through the local national park the hp difference didn't have a massive impact and I actually 'felt' lighter in the 987....not sure what the two cars came in at on the scales but the 987 felt lighter on its toes.  I'd say it's worth driving both, back to back if you can.

34 minutes ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

I'd say it's worth driving both, back to back if you can.

Would love to.  Port Macquarie makes it a bit hard though, and I don't want to darken the door of a dealer just yet...

1 minute ago, Fishcop said:

Would love to.  Port Macquarie makes it a bit hard though, and I don't want to darken the door of a dealer just yet...

Fair enough indeed.  Seems most people prefer the feel of the S to the standard (which I understand if you're ever going to venture onto a track).

Hi John. I had a 2.7 986 Cayman manual and while a lovely balanced car, lacked some of the grunt, I wanted. I am buying from a friend next week his perfect 987 Gen 2, 3.4 S with 30K on it and with sports Chrono, sports pack and exhaust, DI,  etc.  No IMS issues, real or potential.

I drove it around Lakeside recently and was amazed at the performance and grip.  I also found I loved the PDK.

If you are keen on an outstanding manual 986, 3.2S, drop me an email . I found one with with just over 15,000 kms, but maintained on the calendar not kms, and in show room condition, at a negotiable great price.

Merv 

7 hours ago, Merv said:

If you are keen on an outstanding manual 986, 3.2S, drop me an email . I found one with with just over 15,000 kms, but maintained on the calendar not kms, and in show room condition, at a negotiable great price.

Merv 

@Daly87

I had a Cayman 987S and I didn't want for more power. I thought the power and handling were beautifully balanced. It wasn't the fastest thing on the road, but if it was well driven you could keep up with anything in the twisties.

10 hours ago, Merv said:

Cheers Prof.  I've responded :) 

19 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Hey Fishcop A very well priced 987S has come up today if you can get down to Sydney. I don’t want a 987 but at this price I’m considering checking this out myself.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2005/SSE-AD-5465484

That looks cheap, but I would be cautious, could be a scam. For started we do have roadworthy certificates in NSW, that is a VIC thing???

4 minutes ago, MFX said:

That looks cheap, but I would be cautious, could be a scam. For started we do have roadworthy certificates in NSW, that is a VIC thing???

Good pick up. Rose bay is 10ks from my house, only one way to find out I guess? 

23 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Hey Fishcop A very well priced 987S has come up today if you can get down to Sydney. I don’t want a 987 but at this price I’m considering checking this out myself.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2005/SSE-AD-5465484

That could be a cracker... 

4 minutes ago, MFX said:

CarSales has a proforma that populates the ad if you're too lazy to write your own - a RWC is required in most states other than NSW to transfer ownership.  I actually think the price is right, it's a 13 year old car with high-ish mileage for the breed... 

Daly, if you're only 10km away it could be worth kicking its tyres ;) 

They have included a car facts report available on the advertisement... does that make it legit?

3 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

That could be a cracker... 

CarSales has a proforma that populates the ad if you're too lazy to write your own - a RWC is required in most states other than NSW to transfer ownership.  I actually think the price is right, it's a 13 year old car with high-ish mileage for the breed... 

Daly, if you're only 10km away it could be worth kicking its tyres ;) 

I just might, I have no plans this weekend and rose bay is a beautiful place for breakfast and a coffee - top that with an inspection and drive of a Porsche and I now have a great Saturday morning planned.

18 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

They have included a car facts report available on the advertisement... does that make it legit?

I just might, I have no plans this weekend and rose bay is a beautiful place for breakfast and a coffee - top that with an inspection and drive of a Porsche and I now have a great Saturday morning planned.

Daly if the ad is genuine and true in text, negotiable as stated and also not an import, that is $10000 underpriced. Go see and jump or it'll be gone today

47 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Hi Guys,  If the car is what the Ad say's it's a no brainer and will probably be gone by the weekend. Even allowing 10k for transfer, rego, service and new digital radio upgrade you are still in front when comparing it to any 986. 

I bought a similar one last year for $38k with full 12mths rego, major service had been done and 40k on the clock and it's been one of the best fun cars I have owned, so much so that my wife asks why I don't drive my 911 GTS.

Sometimes an impulse buy is a good thing.

34 minutes ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Hi Guys,  If the car is what the Ad say's it's a no brainer and will probably be gone by the weekend. Even allowing 10k for transfer, rego, service and new digital radio upgrade you are still in front when comparing it to any 986. 

I bought a similar one last year for $38k with full 12mths rego, major service had been done and 40k on the clock and it's been one of the best fun cars I have owned, so much so that my wife asks why I don't drive my 911 GTS.

Sometimes an impulse buy is a good thing.

Does the 05 987 come with any other issues whit the car except the usual engine IMS, AOS and RMS?

I also read that the 05 is a little bit of a risk as to weather you get the engine where you can replace the IMS or the engine that has to be slip to replace the IMS + more $$$... and you cant tell until you come to do it?

52 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Does the 05 987 come with any other issues whit the car except the usual engine IMS, AOS and RMS?

I also read that the 05 is a little bit of a risk as to weather you get the engine where you can replace the IMS or the engine that has to be slip to replace the IMS + more $$$... and you cant tell until you come to do it?

I really hope this car is POS as our car is virtually identical (colour and all!!), and I really hope it's worth a heap more than that ? + $10k as indicated would be good....

I know we're on the IMS roundabout at some stage, but we'll keep the regular servicing and oil inspections up and change when we next need a clutch (as far as I can tell it's still the original at 130,000kms, so may not be far away?)

Good luck with inspections, sounds like a really good buy

Archived