986 'S' vs 987

Fishcop

Sold to me.

Now I have a 986s for sale at $24,500 ?

Jokes. 

I'd be taking the day off to check it out. If it's real at that price it'll be gone by the end of the day. Nostradamas. 

Where are you symsy? Quick flip?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Fishcop said:

CarSales has a proforma that populates the ad if you're too lazy to write your own - a RWC is required in most states other than NSW to transfer ownership.  I actually think the price is right, it's a 13 year old car with high-ish mileage for the breed... 

Not part of a proforma, it is in the text written at the end.

"...$24,990 or nearest offer. Roadworthy certificate included so you don't have the headaches of getting one yourself..."

Also SA has no RWC either, not sure of the other states.

6 minutes ago, MFX said:

"...$24,990 or nearest offer. Roadworthy certificate included so you don't have the headaches of getting one yourself..."

Fair enough.  I've seen it on a number of ads though - pretty much verbatim (maybe it's Gumtree I'm thinking of that has the proforma default?).

6 hours ago, Daly87 said:

Thanks, iv messaged our friend Merv. Sounds good for bragging rights but isn’t the rule of thumb that garage queens who haven’t been ren properly more prone to problems than a car whose been loosened up?

Generally yes, unless serviced by date and not kms. This one the former and has been driven on long runs monthly.  I am not sure if it is still available however.

I bought an Australian delivered, matching numbers, RHD 356 a couple of years ago that had done 10,000 miles in 30 years, one owner for 40 years.  Full servicing and used every month in Club runs.  Perfect car. I use it 2-3 times a week, even to the shops.

3 hours ago, MFX said:

WA no roadwortjy either - ACT? NT? Tas?

3 hours ago, Merv said:

Generally yes, unless serviced by date and not kms. This one the former and has been driven on long runs monthly.  I am not sure if it is still available however.

I bought an Australian delivered, matching numbers, RHD 356 a couple of years ago that had done 10,000 miles in 30 years, one owner for 40 years.  Full servicing and used every month in Club runs.  Perfect car. I use it 2-3 times a week, even to the shops.

Please let me know when you find out if it’s still available, and what price is being asked.

2 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

And if I broke down and bought a yellow BoxsterS, how much does wrapping one cost?

Haha I thought the same thing! It’s a good couple of thousand I believe for a decent job. They just don’t look as deep as a nice polished paint job.

have you been to see that yellow one near you?

by the way I text the owner of the 987S for an inspection, they told me “after 10pm tonight I can test drive their super good car I will love it”and then proceeded to send me a darthvadar GIF.... ?‍♂

3 minutes ago, Daly87 said:

Haha I thought the same thing! It’s a good couple of thousand I believe for a decent job. They just don’t look as deep as a nice polished paint job.

have you been to see that yellow one near you?

by the way I text the owner of the 987S for an inspection, they told me “after 10pm tonight I can test drive their super good car I will love it”and then proceeded to send me a darthvadar GIF.... ?‍♂

I guess we can't be surprised :( 

The yellow car near me is still 2 hrs away, so it's a weekend jobbie.  But not only am I not a fan of the 986, the yellow just kills me...

On the plus side my 68 911 went to its new owner this morning so I have garage space ;) 

987 and 987 - both great cars, 987 interior is far more modern although quality of the plastic is only slightly better

I would suggest an early 986 is destined to be a future classic - yes they made bucket loads but good ones are starting to get thin on the ground

20 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

987 and 987 - both great cars, 987 interior is far more modern although quality of the plastic is only slightly better

I would suggest an early 986 is destined to be a future classic - yes they made bucket loads but good ones are starting to get thin on the ground

I agree with this. The 987 silver painted plastic dash does not wear well (scratches easily) and looked cheap like my work Camry. Also the rubber dials in the 987 for the temp control all seem to be worn away on the few 987s iv sat in... The 986, dated the style may be but it seems to wear a little better. Future classic maybe, future price increase? Maybe not.

The 911 aircooled wave of interest in Porsches that happened around the 50th anniversary drove most Porsche prices up - high tides float all boats

The crappy buttons can be replaced, a number of places online sell new/refurbed interior bits and pieces

On 5/30/2018 at 10:22 AM, Fishcop said:

And if I broke down and bought a yellow BoxsterS, how much does wrapping one cost?

@FishcopWe just had our Merc GLC43 xpel clear wrapped by a high end guy in Castlehill plus some extras for $6k so I would think a boxrod would be $3-4 depending on who you used.and type of film.

key is you will always see the base colour as soon as you open a door/boot/hood so as long as you can live with that its easily done.

4 hours ago, Tips said:

@FishcopWe just had our Merc GLC43 xpel clear wrapped by a high end guy in Castlehill plus some extras for $6k so I would think a boxrod would be $3-4 depending on who you used.and type of film.

key is you will always see the base colour as soon as you open a door/boot/hood so as long as you can live with that its easily done.

Thanks Tips.  If I could find a wrap that didn't clash too hard with yellow, I guess it could stay wrapped until yellow becomes de rigueur again :D 

@Fishcop a well optioned 987 2.7 is going for a pretty good price.

Q for the people here, whats the thoughts on a 986S with basic spec against a 2.7 specced out with PASM, Sport chrono, 6speed, sports/heated seats,  etc etc.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2005/SSE-AD-5213118/?Cr=23

Does the sport chrono add much to the 2.7 that it would be worth considering over the 3.2S?

If the added options - 6 Speed Gearbox  (Boxster S) Red Breaks Sports Steering Wheel (997 GT3) Sports Bucket Seats (997 GT3) that aren't original to the car are important to you, that seems like a good buy. I'd say there's a wrecked S somewhere that's contributed to it. And the pasm and chrono could be factory items of course and pasm is good but sports only adds greatly to an auto - but better to have it than not on a man for a bit more spark. 986 S would still go a bit better, very revvy but it's a great comparison this one to a standard 3.2S

1 hour ago, Daly87 said:

@Fishcop a well optioned 987 2.7 is going for a pretty good price.

Q for the people here, whats the thoughts on a 986S with basic spec against a 2.7 specced out with PASM, Sport chrono, 6speed, sports/heated seats,  etc etc.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2005/SSE-AD-5213118/?Cr=23

Does the sport chrono add much to the 2.7 that it would be worth considering over the 3.2S?

Yes I was looking at that one.  I did wonder a little at the options - but seller is claiming it is all factory ordered...  I'm not in a super hurry at all, I'm hoping to snaffle an S car as a preference.  Good to know the chrono pack is more relevant to the auto.  

And my wife now flags that after many years of autos in the family, she is not as enamoured of a stick shift as she once was, and that an auto box "might be nice"...

On the plus side, that opens up a few more cars to choose from.  But on the downside, that opens up a few more cars to choose from...

This auto S seems nice https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Boxster-2005/SSE-AD-5257842/?_ga=2.3665075.246543206.1527811845-687039653.1508387122 

I'd love to know if the S options are all original on that 2.7, never seen a standard optioned up anything like that with the S Box and brakes, begs the question why not order an S instead of a mechanically optioned up non S. Would have been heaps cheaper but he spent up on expensive sports option and expensive Pasm Hmmmmmm..... get a photo of the sticker? That car was discussed a month back after coming onto CS a couple of months back, so no ones jumped at it yet and seems a very very attractive price hmmmm

14 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

I'd love to know if the S options are all original on that 2.7, never seen a standard optioned up anything like that with the S Box and brakes, begs the question why not order an S instead of a mechanically optioned up non S. Would have been heaps cheaper but he spent up on expensive sports option and expensive Pasm Hmmmmmm..... get a photo of the sticker? That car was discussed a month back after coming onto CS a couple of months back, so no ones jumped at it yet and seems a very very attractive price hmmmm

So its been up a while... I wonder why its not gone then - maybe people just want the S in the older cars?

what was the general assumption from the forum guru's in the discussion, I assume it was 'approach with caution?' Same with the $24k 987 S manual in Sydney I guess.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:42 PM, Fishcop said:

Having recently sold 3 early 911s relocating and renovating; I was going to sit out Porsche ownership for a while.  My good wife knowing that she would likely have to spend more time with me that she prefers has kindly flagged her preparedness to indulge me in another P-car.  The stipulation is that it must be registered and drivable by her - should she want to...  She was perpetually shy of driving the early 911s due to noise/smell/attention they attracted.

Having released my penchant for the aircooled I am prepared to delve into water-pumpers.  I was going to spend more, but have decided to restrict myself to a $30k Porsche spend.  Still debating a front engined car in the 944 vein - maybe springing for a 968.  But there seems to be a fair bit of value in the Boxter...

My question to the gallery is; do I spend circa $30k on a 986S  - a car with looks that don't appeal to me, but I do like the 3.2 S performance or do I chase a 2.7 engined 987 with the more attractive front end?  Anything I buy in this range will be a manual transmission.  Pros/cons?  Thanks for any advice/experience/perspective :) 

Hey @Fishcop did you end up landing on a car yet? Toying with moving mine on if there is any interest - just not getting the time to drive it at the moment 

1 hour ago, Higgo said:

Hey @Fishcop did you end up landing on a car yet? Toying with moving mine on if there is any interest - just not getting the time to drive it at the moment 

Hi Higgo

I haven't found the perfect car for me just yet.  Though I'm taking a second look at a 987 S this afternoon.  Feel free to shoot me the details of your car :) 

How goes the chase John?  I have at last had a chance to use the 987.2 S on a few drives.  Loving the torque and the noise of that motor.  The PDK and I have become good friends.

Hi Merv.  Funny enough although I adore the engine in the 3.4 S I've driven, I'm actually drawn to the 986 S for a bunch of dumb sentimental reasons :D  However the tyranny of distance is proving to be a factor for me at the moment - just getting out to see cars is proving difficult.  School holidays are about to start here next week so I may try and get out with the boy for a bit tripping about and checking some cars.  PDK is lovely and is the only "auto" I'd consider... But not an option/issue with the 986 ;) 

Archived