Buying a Porsche isn't easy eh?

withers

So I found a really nice looking grand prix white 993 Cab in my budget.. ran a VIN check on it with PCA (the guy was sooo nice too) only to discover it was a repaired write off in 2004.. then another one I liked that was a Coupe got sold (apparently, sounds fishy tho) both at the same dealer.. who I'm thinking might be dodgy.

I can report tho.. that I fit much better in a 993 than the SC I drove. My head cleared the top of the windshield beautifully and the overall feel of the 993 is fantastic.

So I'll just keep plodding along I think.. looking at any cars that tickle my fancy, whether that be a 964, 993 or Boxster...

Me thinks this might take a while....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right Amanda. It's bloody hard work buying a Porsche, except of course when you have unlimited funds!!!!!!!!!!!

Most cars out there are fairly honest but you do have the occasional pig. That goes for dealers as well!!

I'm glad you tried out a 993. They are a truly fantastic car.

The search as you said "might take a while". Lot's of guys on this forum that looked and waited for years to get their first Porsche.

The time thing makes it tricky for me. Being on limited funds.. if I sell my car privately and then can't find what I want to buy, means I could be without a car for months. Not sure I want to do that. So leaves me sort of looking at trade ins.

I'm smitten with the 993 idea. I don't mind a rough one, ie if I need to fix up some upholstery or paint is fine. I just want a really well sorted one mechanically. Thats the part that concerns me most.

Hi Amanda, good ones can take a while to catch. Keep checking the Porsche Club sites and if you feel like a trip - German Car day 23 Sept Canberra 0830 onwards, National Library Lawns www.canberravw.com for details.

Cheers

Paul M

PS: how did you go for tyres fot the GTi

Funny thing is, even the guys with unlimited funds have to wait. Usually they are chasing the rarer cars and unfortunately for them those cars either don't come on the market that often or can change hands without ever coming on the market.

Definitely be patient. You don't want to end up with the "wrong" car.

Oh froggy! I'm a wee newbie. I've been looking no time at all. I'll get sick of it real quick. It's just my nature. I want and want now. It's not good.

I'm going to drive that write off one on Sat. Plus one other I know of. Why not, the experience will do me good.

What an eye opener. I was looking at the repairable write off info on Vic Roads. Thought I'd put the VIN of that car I mentioned above through it (for $3.89 its cheaper than a large Latte) and goodness me, I'll be doing that before even looking at any future cars.

Registration expiry: Year of manufacture:

06 Jul 2012 1995 Year/Month of compliance: 1995-06

Written off:

Storm, Flood, Other Written-off, VIC, 06 Jul 2011, Inspected

Collision, VIC, 08 Jan 2004, Economic Repairable Write-off

Collision, VIC, 08 Jan 2004, Economic Repairable Write-off

So it was written off not once but twice! :o

You should get an award if you buy a car that has been written off twice..!!! shows how much research and hunting you have to do the ensure you get a car thats not a dog.

Good on you for doing that. Love your comment about fitting better in a 993 than an SC......I just know I fit better in a 997 Turbo than I fit in my SC !! :D

BTW, a lengthy search for a decent (and mine is no pristine example) car could take a year or more, I looked at a heap of suss examples.

Stick with it though, the effort is more than repaid by the fun the car will provide.

cheers

Don't tell me the dealer didn't know this vehicle was written off ......TWICE.

Absolute FULL disclosure should be mandatory when buying from a dealer.

Like I said above. Some cars are pigs as are some.................dealers.

I know the purchaser should do their own due diligence but I have a massive issue with dealers/salespeople talking things up way beyond expectations.

I tell you what Amanda. 2 x repairable write offs on the same car. Tell 'em you'll buy it for spares. That's all it's worth.

Don't tell me the dealer didn't know this vehicle was written off ......TWICE.

Absolute FULL disclosure should be mandatory when buying from a dealer.

Like I said above. Some cars are pigs as are some.................dealers.

I know the purchaser should do their own due diligence but I have a massive issue with dealers/salespeople talking things up way beyond expectations.

I tell you what Amanda. 2 x repairable write offs on the same car. Tell 'em you'll buy it for spares. That's all it's worth.

Oh he knew. He was happy to talk about it after I found out! But he didn't disclose it.

Anyways, I'll just move on. I do have another one to look at. It's VIN is clear :)

Guest Nick987

That Porka's porked.

Write off I reckon...

And T I agree when buying from a dealer by law they should be supplying the write off register report on the windscreen.

Great work there Amanda.

Well cosmetically, the car is lovely. And because I'm such a sucker for white cars and all the others I see around are midnight blue...its messing with my emotions!

The sales guy told me that the previous owner is a big f'ing deal.. has millions of dollars of cars with the insurance company. So they just work with him and write it off, even tho the car isn't that bad because they don't want to lose his business. He's full of all kinds of stories this bloke.

I was just speaking to a guy at stratton finance.. he said as far as finance companies go a repairable write-off is worth approx 50% of the market value. Had I not picked this up and bought it, they would have when they went to approve it. They would have knocked the application on the head.

its been a big eye opener for me anyways. And before looking at any more P cars I'll be doing the VIN search first.

Responding to the "how long did you look?" thread...I'd have to say that I was incredibly lucky. My search was a mere 2 months. I missed out on one car, which turned out to be a good thing as the car I eventually found was better. Of course I did all the appropriate finance and accident searches. The car almost "fell into my lap" so to speak. The prior owner was, as they say, a "movitated vendor" with a very tight deadline. I worked this to my advantage. I was expecting the search and buy process to take 8 months or more and was planning to purchase in early 2013...but things have a way of managing themselves.

So here I find myself spending every weekend exploring winding roads around outer Sydney and mountains with the roof down and a smile on my face. It's worth the effort!

"how long did you look". It took me 14 months from when I started looking , to finally finding and buying the right car!

Hmmm, if you count dreaming of owning the real thing whle playing with a matchbox 911 as a five year old, first Porsche ride aged 19, first Porsche drive aged 30, finally bought mine aged 40 (mid-life crisis jokes start here) I count 35 years!!

I was casually shopping/test driving for about 5 years. I drove some real junkers, some I didn't even bother to open the door. The 911 I eventually bought was just around the corner. A friend saw it and suggested I have a look. It'd had been with the previous owner for 15 years and hardly driven. After sorting out brakes, tyres and a few niggles from not being driven enough, all smiles now.

Drive many and buy the one that you're really happy with. It's worth the wait.

Good luck Amanda.

Harv.

Amanda,

in some ways I was lucky as I looked at heaps and as some above have said, some were really dodgy (and subsequently were on the market for a long long time). When I found the car that I thought was acceptable and improveable, luck was on my side as it was white which was probably my first choice of colour for that model.

It can happen. As a few have said, drive as many as you can, and then buy the best one possible within the budget; easy to say, but it is possible to do.

Good Luck........

Yeh I'm sure it won't be so bad. Because I'm open to a Cab 993 version. I imagine less people are interested in them. As I said above, if the car has some cosmetic woes thats fine by me.. easy to fix. I can check out the price of parts on Pelican and have a rough idea of what to expect. If the car needs basic things done to it, I can get my brother to help with those.. and all else off to a P independant.

I just want a nice honest car.

The next one I hope to look at his here

Archived