6 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

Hey Guys your'e either a cyclist or not this is clear! I understand the issues at hand Hell I'm a avid cyclist and a Porsche driver and I never go over the speed limit never cross double lines and certainly never chase other Porshe drivers around mountain passes endangering others. On a more serious note cycling is a very social sport that has proven health benefits both mentally and physically (apart from the ones that get killed by people driving cars whilst not concentrating reading or sending txt messages)

The benefits on our Health system in having a healthy fit ageing population is tremendous, the numbers are staggering........... I don't know about you but I haven't worked all my life to reach 65 and drop dead and not enjoy the fruits of my labour. On that note I'd really love to hear from...... lets start with the people commenting on this thread to date as to how they rate their health and what they are doing to ensure they have a healthy happy later life.

One things for sure when I catch up with you all on the drive days sipping our lattes and eating our poached eggs with whipped avocado we have a solid mutual respect and share a love of all things Porsche making us feel good about ourselves and our lives. Why deny cyclist or any other bunch of people such joy, be patient when approaching a cyclist encourage mutual respect.

Good behaviour and mutual respect encourages like for like isn't that a better approach the fact that we can't wait for 10-20-30 seconds to pass a cyclist is a little absurd where are you going in such a hurry anyway

Yea,but Scott you are a nice guy and wouldn`t be the arsehole trying to run down our Niko or holding up 200 cars whilst having a business meeting, so this doesn`t apply to you or any other reasonable human being. You normal folk don`t have to stick up for the pricks,just because you share a hobby.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

Yea,but Scott you are a nice guy and wouldn`t be the arsehole trying to run down our Niko or holding up 200 cars whilst having a business meeting, so this doesn`t apply to you or any other reasonable human being. You normal folk don`t have to stick up for the pricks,just because you share a hobby.

+1

6 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

Thanks Steve and true however there are some very bad drivers out there as well, we need to encourage better behaviour all round and if that means fining cyclist for not obeying the road rules i'm all for it. The issue is around education and mutual respect like most things ......spread the love brother ? catch ya soon

Cyclists here  - can someone let me know why it's safer to ride two abreast or in packs.  Porsches, being small are easier to get around cyclists but when I encounter big groups it becomes a lot more trying/dangerous.  Thought the Royal National Park & a couple of local hill climbs (some of which you are not allowed to walk along the side of the road due to the lack of room) you can often have to make a decision between sitting behind a pack for kms or taking a calculated risk, which will no doubt end in tears one day (whether it's me or another driver).  Having to make that decision does annoy me (and I will also add that I would be/am equally annoyed if I get stuck behind a car doing similar speeds so it's not just a cyclist thing).   On roads where there is plenty of sight and room, even if you have to sit back for a while - I couldn't care less & happy to wait & go around when there's an opportunity, regardless of the size of the group.  Yes - some cyclists are stupid pricks, as are some drivers....for me it's more of an issue about being forced into a riskier decision making process than I'd usually like.

So - there are some cyclists here...what's the go two abreast and what's the go with large groups?  I don't get it but I'd be happy to.

26 minutes ago, Gavin (CliffToCoast) said:

Cyclists here  - can someone let me know why it's safer to ride two abreast or in packs.  Porsches, being small are easier to get around cyclists but when I encounter big groups it becomes a lot more trying/dangerous.  Thought the Royal National Park & a couple of local hill climbs (some of which you are not allowed to walk along the side of the road due to the lack of room) you can often have to make a decision between sitting behind a pack for kms or taking a calculated risk, which will no doubt end in tears one day (whether it's me or another driver).  Having to make that decision does annoy me (and I will also add that I would be/am equally annoyed if I get stuck behind a car doing similar speeds so it's not just a cyclist thing).   On roads where there is plenty of sight and room, even if you have to sit back for a while - I couldn't care less & happy to wait & go around when there's an opportunity, regardless of the size of the group.  Yes - some cyclists are stupid pricks, as are some drivers....for me it's more of an issue about being forced into a riskier decision making process than I'd usually like.

So - there are some cyclists here...what's the go two abreast and what's the go with large groups?  I don't get it but I'd be happy to.

Its a matter of safety for most the larger the bunch the safer one feels for obvious reasons like being more visible to motorists. If you haven't ridden before let me tell you that being passed by a car no more than .5 of a metre away doing 6o kph feels life threatening, all we need is a bump in the road a badly maintained road edge or a strong sidewind and we can move that .5 metre. 

The common view with regards to a bunch on a narrower rode is that it is easier for a car to pass say a bunch of 10 riding two abreast than the same 10 riding single file as the passing distance is half meaning the gap to oncoming traffic considered safe to most motorist needs to be a lot less if i'm leading a bunch i will assist the driver in waving them on when the road is clear etc...

Again its just about respect between people regardless; nothings perfect, I'd love to head out in the hills in my car at 10 am to have an uninterrupted spirited drive however thats not possible so I leave at 5 or 6am in order to get my needs met.

Who is meddling with this skulduggery, The FBI, Crooked Hillary, the Russians?????

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/change-org-denies-bots-inflated-petition-for-cyclists-to-ride-single-file-20180531-p4zilb.html

Change.org denies bots inflated petition for cyclists to ride single-file

"An online petition that garnered 100,000 signatures in support of cyclists being made to ride single-file has been defended against claims its figures were bloated by web-bots. Bicycle Queensland chief executive Anne Savage said it had received evidence to suggest most of the names on the Change.org petition were false......................"

The Tweed roads attract cyclists from all over the country. Battle on the boarder event is held here along with others so they come here to trace the steps or train for the events.

The country roads used are tight and twisty in lots of places. The speed limits have been dropped to 60klm/h in some cases. During events the roads are closed to motorists so they are relatively safe.

In everyday conditions groups are in frightful danger if large enough or more than single file. Even at 60klm/h the speed difference on tight uphill blind corners could be 55klm/h. I don't care about waiting behind but I sh1t myself about clipping them on one of many blind corners. The local council has erected Watch For ? signs on all of them. If riders continue to ride two or more abreast someone will be seriously injured or killed. I'd hate to go through that. 

Even on the long straight wide cane roads I watched a loaded cane semi trailer slow behind two abreast riders, wait for them to go to single file, let him past and then resume to two abreast form not even checking if there were other vehicles behind them. I was there, a good distance behind as I'd had a feeling I should stay back. Good thing I did as I would have clipped one. I wanted to rouse on them for being so silly but took a breathe and calmly waved as I went by. My wave must have been interpreted as aggressive as they responded angrily. Then I wanted to stop and explain/defend myself and attempt to reason with them. Yeh right, it would have gotten worse.

By the way, the yipppp that knocked my daughter over at the cafe and his band where back at the same cafe the next week riding between the outdoor dining and the shop front.

I recorded it from a distance so as not to cause a scene, sent it to local council who have not replied or put up clearer signs. The cafe owner is frightened to confront them although he recognizes his duty of care to other patrons and work safe regulations for his staff.

These stubborn warrior's are doing great harm to the whole cycling community. 

These groups seem to have definite leaders setting the tone.

I even had a group overtake me and another car and motorcycle downhill. The motorbike was in front doing 60 in a 60 zone and whoosh this group flew by us all. Brings out the worst in me to encounter this.

Freak out slowly people.

I haven't competed or even ridden beyond commuting since my wife was diagnosed July 2015 and passing a year later. But when I did train it was mainly solo as each session had a specific training goal. When I did train in the hills with others it was with a small group who would call 'car back' were we would return to single file if there was traffic.

Personally I prefer to keep away from groups and especially when I don't know the riders as they are of unknown abilities, but understand why some prefer it. As mentioned it offers greater visibility, it also encourages drivers to actually move out of the lane to overtake rather than squeezing past unthinkingly close or worse an intentional punishment pass!

Again sorry to hear about what happened with your daughter. As I said earlier, a percentage of all people are self centered morons including some cyclists. Seems to becoming even more prevalent these days where people don't care about how their actions affect others. It pisses me off just as much when a cyclist runs a red or does something else stupid. One because it is stupid and dangerous to them and others, but also because it feeds the generalizations which tar us all with the same brush.

By the way Niko, I do call out 'passing' to peds on the shared paths incorporated into my commute.

1 hour ago, firstone said:

These stubborn warrior's are doing great harm to the whole cycling community. 

These groups seem to have definite leaders setting the tone.

Council will do bugger all. Send video to the police. Other than that, A baseball bat is a good deterrent ?

Well everyone else is doing it.

One of my team traffic controllers refused to send her traffic just this week because the first driver was on the phone. I can't condemn her choice on work safe grounds. 

She was very cranky though which isn't helpful if he'd have caught on to her motive.

We have enough altercations with angry drivers, and escalating their mood isn't safe either since they generally tear through faster more likely to lose control presenting great danger to the construction team.

11 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

Its a matter of safety for most the larger the bunch the safer one feels for obvious reasons like being more visible to motorists. If you haven't ridden before let me tell you that being passed by a car no more than .5 of a metre away doing 6o kph feels life threatening, all we need is a bump in the road a badly maintained road edge or a strong sidewind and we can move that .5 metre. 

The common view with regards to a bunch on a narrower rode is that it is easier for a car to pass say a bunch of 10 riding two abreast than the same 10 riding single file as the passing distance is half meaning the gap to oncoming traffic considered safe to most motorist needs to be a lot less if i'm leading a bunch i will assist the driver in waving them on when the road is clear etc...

Again its just about respect between people regardless; nothings perfect, I'd love to head out in the hills in my car at 10 am to have an uninterrupted spirited drive however thats not possible so I leave at 5 or 6am in order to get my needs met.

I was wondering if the cyclists out there have actual data such as hospital admissions etc to back up the claim that a group is safer overall or is a group really just a feel good or perhaps used to intimidate other road users including pedestrians. While a group may have some benifits it seems to me that if an incident occurred involving a group there would be a much larger number of injuries. It also seems to me that the group itself is inherently dangerous due to the close proximity of the riders and the likelyhodd of them also becoming involved. E.g skill level, mechanical breakage, pothole avoidance or hitting and losing control, along with other road hazards like dogs, cats and if in the country roos, cows, sheep, wombats, then we have crosswinds, wind blown objects and even falling tree branch's (red gums do this often) plus much more and this is before we even factor in vehicles which could be innocently in their lane going in the opposite direction which are by the natue of a group passing very close to the cyclists on the outer of the group. A group of riders getting involved with a vehicle is always going to injure more cyclists than a single rider. 

12 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

Agree on the 0.5 metre thing.  I'm occasionally on a bike (mountain bike so shoulder isn't an issue) & personally can't get far enough to the left for my happiness so it's all about a wide berth when overtaking.  5 x 2 vs 10 x 1 makes sense -  I reckon anything more than about 4 in a row becomes hard (hence the pack question).  I can see the psychological and social benefits to large group riding but I feel there's an increase in risk to everyone when doing so.  No matter in the end as you just have to deal with whatever you encounter on the road, whether it's 20 cyclists or nan & pop towing a van, all the same thing in the end.

14 minutes ago, Redracn said:

I was wondering if the cyclists out there have actual data such as hospital admissions etc to back up the claim that a group is safer overall or is a group really just a feel good or perhaps used to intimidate other road users including pedestrians. While a group may have some benifits it seems to me that if an incident occurred involving a group there would be a much larger number of injuries. It also seems to me that the group itself is inherently dangerous due to the close proximity of the riders and the likelyhodd of them also becoming involved. E.g skill level, mechanical breakage, pothole avoidance or hitting and losing control, along with other road hazards like dogs, cats and if in the country roos, cows, sheep, wombats, then we have crosswinds, wind blown objects and even falling tree branch's (red gums do this often) plus much more and this is before we even factor in vehicles which could be innocently in their lane going in the opposite direction which are by the natue of a group passing very close to the cyclists on the outer of the group. A group of riders getting involved with a vehicle is always going to injure more cyclists than a single rider. 

Pretty much my thoughts Red. as Scott said above ""all we need is a bump in the road a badly maintained road edge or a strong sidewind and we can move that .5 metre."

So if riders generally ride abreast about half a metre to a metre apart, if something goes wrong for any reason it's feasible to think if two riders abreast move anywhere near half a metre each, the entire pack of dominoes pretty much tumbles. I don't mind sitting behind packs of decent riders down hill on the twisties because they're usually doing around 50 - 60 ks. I can tolerate abreast on the flat as doing 25ks passes pretty quickly but when they ride abreast uphill on twisties it's a different story at about 15ks or some at 10ks, it's not considerate at all.

It astounds me the amount of times I hear yelling or see arms go up at me if I overtake them quickly with the roof down early in the morning on Dandenong Ranges and I leave easily 2 metres space 

7 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Pretty much my thoughts Red. as Scott said above ""all we need is a bump in the road a badly maintained road edge or a strong sidewind and we can move that .5 metre."

So if riders generally ride abreast about half a metre to a metre apart, if something goes wrong for any reason it's feasible to think if two riders abreast move anywhere near half a metre each, the entire pack of dominoes pretty much tumbles. I don't mind sitting behind packs of decent riders down hill on the twisties because they're usually doing around 50 - 60 ks. I can tolerate abreast on the flat as doing 25ks passes pretty quickly but when they ride abreast uphill on twisties it's a different story at about 15ks or some at 10ks, it's not considerate at all.

It astounds me the amount of times I hear yelling or see arms go up at me if I overtake them quickly with the roof down early in the morning on Dandenong Ranges and I leave easily 2 metres space 

I live up here in the nongs, and I gotta tell you the aggression of the packs is amazing, and I know from experience its all bluff and bravado after grabbing one by his sweaty lycra shirt in front of all his mates in front of the bakery one sunday morning after he threw his water bottle at me for not wanting to sit behind him for 2.5 k`s uphill, not a peep out of one of them. There is a Cyclist single file sign at both ends of the tourist road, so I take it upon myself to enforce that with the horn( get a few up yours ) but it always works eventually.

10 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

There is a Cyclist single file sign at both ends of the tourist road

If you are referring to the signs on Mountain highway, these not legally enforceable signs. They are merely recommendation signs added by council not VicRoads. When I did ride out there I preferred to keep left and wave people through when the oncoming lane is clear out of common courtesy, but there is nothing in the road law that requires them to ride single file.

And please keep to the facts and not embellish. I have been up and down that road thousands of times over the years on self powered and motorised two wheels and four. There is no stretch of that road where you couldn't overtake safely and legally far sooner than needing to sit behind for a whole third of the climb!

2 minutes ago, Coastr said:

The perfect solution is a mountain bike and a great trail.  It’s more fun,  no cars and no breathing in exhausts.

Unfortunately not possible if using a bike to commute. But your reasons for encouraging MTBing is why gravel grinding is becoming very popular; which is using bikes that are a hybrid between road bike and MTB and heading onto the dirt roads and fire trails. Biggest issue is with MTB you have to load up the bikes and drive out to the few trails... Road riding training starts from your front door.

2 minutes ago, Dalai said:

And please keep to the facts and not embellish. I have been up and down that road thousands of times over the years on self powered and motorised two wheels and four. There is no stretch of that road where you couldn't overtake safely and legally far sooner than needing to sit behind for a whole third of the climb

Zero embellishment,I`ve lived here for nearly 40 years , so I think I would have a better idea of what goes on up here than you , with cars and busses  coming the other way, and 15 ignorant pricks riding 2 and 3 abreast up hill,with no concern for their own safety or how much they are inconveniencing others, waiting for just the right moment can take longer than anyone should have to wait.

23 minutes ago, Dalai said:

..Road riding training starts from your front door.

Shouldn't training stay behind your front door. There are numerous options available from dedicated training bikes to rolling roads for the actual race bike to run on. Look at the benefits. You get all the exercises you could want rain hail or shine, you don't need to put on the silly lycra (but you still can if that is what you are into), way way less dangerous, you can train with your mates anywhere in the world with many Virtual Reality options and no limit to group size, also far more people to network/socialize with, riders of all skill/fitness levels can participate in the virtual group ride. You can even txt and check your facebook status without risking a fine. The health and cost  benifits would be huge. No sucking in exhaust fumes, no time in hospital ocupying beds others could be using etc. this would also free up the roads for people to go about their business saving them money, increasing productivity and giving them more time with the family. 

I know some of you just have to get out of the house but that is what a local sporting club is for.  

And yes I have a stationary training bike and I don't own any lycra but I do still have some of my motorbike gear in the shed but no bike. 

2 minutes ago, Redracn said:

The health and cost  benifits would be huge. No sucking in exhaust fumes, no time in hospital ocupying beds others could be using etc. this would also free up the roads for people to go about their business saving them money, increasing productivity and giving them more time with the family.  

So you only use your cars for work?

Given the sedentary nature of society in general, the health costs from fat lazy people is the biggest burden to our health system not from the few cyclists. How many hours a week do you exercise a week on average?

Personally don't get or care for the Zwift phenomenon. Training indoors has always been the last resort when the weather is rotten so don't understand the attraction myself. Like going past the local gym and seeing people all running on treadmills when it is lovely outside!

Fact is you just hate cyclists and regardless of if we paid registration, licence plates and all the other nonsense that gets bandied about you would still find something about them to whinge about!

Using your reasoning, I can edit your last comment in regards to sports cars.

Shouldn't going for drives in your Porsche stay on your property? There are numerous options available from dedicated race tracks for sports cars to drive on or simulators such as PSE2 Grad Turismo. Look at the benefits. You get all the driving you could want rain hail or shine, you don't need to get out of your pajamas  (but you still can if that is what you are into), way way less dangerous, you can drive with your mates anywhere in the world with many Virtual Reality options and no limit to group size (if the game allows), also far more people to network/socialize with, drivers of all skill/fitness levels can participate in the virtual group drive. You can even txt and check your facebook status without risking a fine. The health and cost  benifits would be huge. No sucking in exhaust fumes, no time in hospital ocupying beds others could be using etc. this would also free up the roads for people to go about their business saving them money, increasing productivity and giving them more time with the family.  

I know some of you just have to get out of the house but that is what a local race track is for.  ;)

12 minutes ago, Dalai said:

So you only use your cars for work?

Given the sedentary nature of society in general, the health costs from fat lazy people is the biggest burden to our health system not from the few cyclists. How many hours a week do you exercise a week on average?

Personally don't get or care for the Zwift phenomenon. Training indoors has always been the last resort when the weather is rotten so don't understand the attraction myself. Like going past the local gym and seeing people all running on treadmills when it is lovely outside!

Fact is you just hate cyclists and regardless of if we paid registration, licence plates and all the other nonsense that gets bandied about you would still find something about them to whinge about!

Using your reasoning, I can edit your last comment in regards to sports cars.

Shouldn't going for drives in your Porsche stay on your property? There are numerous options available from dedicated race tracks for sports cars to drive on or simulators such as PSE2 Grad Turismo. Look at the benefits. You get all the driving you could want rain hail or shine, you don't need to get out of your pajamas  (but you still can if that is what you are into), way way less dangerous, you can drive with your mates anywhere in the world with many Virtual Reality options and no limit to group size (if the game allows), also far more people to network/socialize with, drivers of all skill/fitness levels can participate in the virtual group drive. You can even txt and check your facebook status without risking a fine. The health and cost  benifits would be huge. No sucking in exhaust fumes, no time in hospital ocupying beds others could be using etc. this would also free up the roads for people to go about their business saving them money, increasing productivity and giving them more time with the family.  

I know some of you just have to get out of the house but that is what a local race track is for.  ;)

Don't laugh as the way it is going driving for pretty much any reason will be banned by those that know better and must rule over us.

I was clearly talking about fitness training so how does that relate to driving anywhere. If I want to train in my Tarmac Rally car or any car I go to the track or an event. I do not do performance driver training on public roads. 

When some people do try performance driver training on public roads they are booked under hoon laws and cars and licence taken off them. I think we need the notion of Hoon cyclist. 

Also silly point about getting exercise as its a given that it is a benefit. 

I dont have any particular gripe with cyclists other than when they cause major delays. I also hold the same view in relation to anybody driving well below the speed limit that won’t bother to move over and let a long line of traffic past. In my experience matching Lycra clad road cyclists are the worst at this.

You also have not heard me call for registration or cyclists should pay tax etc. so it would seem you have no issue making up your own Facts. 

On another point in relation to indicating when it is safe to overtake. I never ever trust anyone else's judgement as to when it is safe to overtake. After all I don't know you and have no idea about your skill in determing if the situation is safe. There is more to safe overtaking than just a road clear of oncoming vehicles. You might also want to check any legal liability. 

I'm a mad keen cyclist. Used to ride to work 4 days a week but have stopped due to driver attitudes and the risk to my life they pose on me. I only ever chose roads with bike lanes so never put a driver through the excruciating pain of arriving at the next red light 10 seconds later. But it got to the point where every ride I had a near death experience with drivers either not paying attention, or drivers buzzing me in the bike lane (my term for drivers cutting across the front of me to give me a scare). There are dedicated anti cyclist pages on Facebook with hundreds of members where they actually talk about killing cyclists on purpose, that's how bad the attitude is towards cyclists for many. People just can't change the way they view things. If they actually just took a moment and thought about why they are getting angry at the cyclist, the reason is ridiculous. The cyclist is slowing me from getting to the next intersection, the cyclist is making me change lanes. I've been stuck behind these pricks for 1 whole minute, lets kill the bastards! You can bring in single file, rego or what ever but none of it will stop people from getting angry at cyclists. I now ride at 5:30am before work when there's no traffic or along the beach on the weekend where there's safety in numbers. Or I'll grab the mountain bike and forget about everyone.

On the flip side, a large portion of cyclists are cock heads and it sucks to be associated with them! The problem for those of us who are more courteous to other road users is cyclists are an easy target because the rest of the population thinks something can be done about their behaviour. There are plenty of other social groups out there that act like F-wits but you can't do anything about them - delivery van drivers, taxi drivers, school mums doing drop off, the elderly, truckies, immigrants not familiar with driving here, tradies. Imagine Neil Mitchell gets a caller. "Hi Neil, Janet from Epping hear,  just wanted to find out what's being done about all these white mini vans, I almost got killed by one the other day while be was using the bike lane as his own personal expressway. They're always darting in and out of traffic, tailgating everyone. Someone needs to invent a new law where they have to leave a 2 seconds gap to the car in front or something and they should have to pay rego so they're more accountable." "I know Janet, it's appalling what they get away with. Jump onto change.org and start a petition, I'm sure all our listeners would love to sign it"

8 minutes ago, Redracn said:

On another point in relation to indicating when it is safe to overtake. I never ever trust anyone else's judgement as to when it is safe to overtake. After all I don't know you and have no idea about your skill in determing if the situation is safe. There is more to safe overtaking than just a road clear of oncoming vehicles. You might also want to check any legal liability. 

I think this is referring to the group knows you're there and you can overtake the group when safe to do so. That's how I read it anyway. If the group have all acknowledged there's a car there and a rider waves to you to pass, you know the riders aren't going to swerve out into your path or something like that.

Archived