Isle of Man 2018

Mate of mine Davo Johnson riding the Gulf BMW 1000. Last I saw he was running 6th in Superbike

This is just bonkers, absolutely bonkers. Turn up your volume and watch it a couple of times, then realise it's near on 170mph

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjaXLT4AX1C/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1g6anmn6h31yo

39 minutes ago, Dalai said:

So impressive but completely bonkers!!!

As an ex bike racer, I just don't know how these guys can ride that fast on the roads, especially after one of the top 5 riders, Dan Kneen, died yesterday

Sadly a death there yesterday... crazy crazy race which claims too many..... and shortly after a rider is in critical condition. I love bike racing and did it for many years, but I just find this race crazy. Yes they do choose to and it is their choice...

Sad  a death - You think in the way of the world these days how much longer the TT will run in it's current form. The dudes have gonads of Kryptonite, anywhere near those speeds through the towns crazy crazy fellows. I watch the series in bloody awe at what I'm witnessing. These days it unnerves me taking SP3 through the gears as fast as I can, I just can't fathom what they do but I sure love them entertaining me.... lets hope the big one in the sky looks favourably upon the daredevils and no more deaths, severe injuries for this year

1 hour ago, ANF said:

Sadly a death there yesterday... crazy crazy race which claims too many..... and shortly after a rider is in critical condition. I love bike racing and did it for many years, but I just find this race crazy. Yes they do choose to and it is their choice...

I maybe a bit mad, but I didn't possess anywhere near the bravery you need to ride there flat out when I had an opportunity to ride there in the 90's. Noooo way in a fit would I do it!

I had a few beers with Davo after IOM last year, and asked him how hard they push. He says not that hard when you know the place well and the bike is set up right. It may look bonkers to us, but the good riders are in control and surprisingly have a little in reserve if they need it. He mentioned a couple of top riders are way too loose, and if they're behind him, he'll let them past, as he doesn't want to get tangled up in their mess if it happens. 

I also knew a couple of guys who raced there in a sidecar, Gav Porteus and Scott Deslandes, multiple Aussie sidecar champs.  They had a big crash and Gav (driver) permanently lost the use of his arm, and Scott had a few injuries. Another old friend who was a quick rider rode there, but only did 2 laps and packed it in as he was scared shitless

It's nervous excitement when I watch it, especially as Dave is a friend of mine, yet all the riders aren't forced to ride there and they know the potential consequences if it goes wrong. Fingers crossed there are no more accidents this week

There was a group that had a track laid out in the sunshine coast coupla years ago that failed to go ahead for whatever reason, and the Lobethal TT here was going to be returning until a minority of locals whinged it would scare their cows or something. I woulda come out of racing retirement for that one! 

On 6/1/2018 at 12:06 AM, LeeM said:

Mate of mine Davo Johnson riding the Gulf BMW 1000. Last I saw he was running 6th in Superbike

This is just bonkers, absolutely bonkers. Turn up your volume and watch it a couple of times, then realise it's near on 170mph

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjaXLT4AX1C/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1g6anmn6h31yo

Certifiably insane

Last years but worth a look for the great on board camera work.  The Sulby Straight at 190mph (about 9.17) is just astonishing.  Who am I kidding, the whole thing is astonishing!

Who said an inline 4 can't sound great.

Archived