boxster 987.1 key stuck on ignition off

Philbee

I've recently acquired a 987.1 boxster, 2008. And I'm very unfamiliar with its quirky technologies having never owned a modern car with computer technology before (Luddite)... 

Anyway, when I stick the key in the ignition and I press it in, the car makes a big click sound, Q1 what is this? Some of the dash lights up.

Issue: Occasionally, when I shut off after driving (not every time), I turn the key back to the off position and I can't pull the key out. It's stuck in. Literally won't come out. I have to start & stop the engine and try a few times and then it releases the key. It's like I've got some particular sequence wrong? Or do I have a fault? This is a completely weird routine... I have no idea what's the cause, am I using it wrong or is the ignition faltering...?

any insight into what's normal, what the clicking sound is, what the whole pressing the key in thing is... And most importantly, do I have a faltering ignition switch, would be great...

thanks in advance.

philbee

Doesn’t sound normal. 

Are you using the same key every time,  try the second key if you have one.

Does the key have a bunch of keys hanging off it, remove the bunch and use a single key. Apparently locks are sensitive to this. 

https://svsautocare.com.au/blogs/driving-tips/are-the-number-of-keys-on-your-keychain-ruining-your-ignition/

Also try some graphite powder on the key, put it in and out of the lock a few times.

Just thinking about a recent auto I've drive (pretty sure it is my 996 Tip),  if you don't put the transmission into Park, you can;t take the key out - safety feature I guess.  Is that a possible problem???

Putting the key in the ignition turns on a few things (radio???) on ours and is normal.

Is the 987 an auto? If so getting the key out will require it to be in park so there may be some adjustment required there if it doesn't quite register it's in P.

One time the engine was running and I was able to remove the key - it seems there's a disconnect sometimes on the physical ignition  key hole sensor to know, when in park/engine off - ok to remove key & engine on/in drive, not ok to remove key. It thinks opposite to what's actually happening.

the manual doesn't detail this.... It just says turn key this way to start, that way to shut engine. Der, I know that bit.

The ignition switch is a common failure point on 986's (I had similar weirdness until I replaced mine) and I suspect the 987's are likely to eventually experience the same problems. It's a pain to replace yourself, but can be done if you are are handy with a wrench (it would also be very handy if you are a contortionist!).

Philbee - you have a failed ignition switch.

These switches consist of two parts - a large upper mechanical lock and a smaller electrical tumbler switch which bolts onto the bottom section of the upper mechanical portion.

The electrical contacts fail and when the ignition key is installed, and when the contacts collapse, you can get spurious gremlins like key removal problems, some electrical systems remaining energised when the key is removed and other electrical systems not being switched on at all.

The lower (electrical) portion can be replaced but you need small hands and be a contortionist as access is from under the steering wheel or through the dash air vent. I found the air vent access was the easiest.

Porsche (say) the electrical portion is no longer available (you need the replace the complete assembly) but the electrical part is available on line - try  googling ignition switch on Rennlist. You need the later switch, which is a generic Audi / VW part/. The older part is #4AO 905 849 B, not sure about the newer switch number......

Archived