Ineffective brake pedal

rafikdous

Gents, need help. I am stuck

Car is a 1973 T and has been under resto for a while
Brakes were probably done 2 years ago but the car hasn't been used since

The calipers are reco'd and pads are new all around. I am not sure if the MC has been done or not

The brakes, while they stop the car, they are not as sharp or effective as they should be
If I push them real hard, I can lock the front wheels

There is good oil flow out of all the 4 bleeding valves and I double checked that non of the calipers are ceased

What am I missing?

Thanks
Rafik

New pads need to be bedded before they work properly.

Change the brake fluid as it is 2years old then drive it around carefully for a bit. If road pads it could take a few hundred km. If race or performance ones you can do bedding procedures but if the rotors have been used with a different compound there will be additional time to remove the old transfer layer.

Hi Rafik

I had the same problem on my 2.4T - Stock standard system and despite going through pretty much everything it was no better

It was very underwhelming and so reading your text I thought I add my 2 cents

Some guys suggest running slightly differnt pads ( check 911s registry ) and you may even try braided lines in case your using the old rubber by any chance

So on those Lake Mountain runs I was always nervous but loved the car

On 6/5/2018 at 8:41 PM, rafikdous said:

Thanks, will try your suggestions

Are the brakes spongy and unresponsive pedal? 

New piston seals need a few hundred k's to wear in - some shops only do 1 or 2 brake rebuilds at a time on the older cars so you have some brakes while the new ones wear in.

... or reuse 'old' seals that are not cracked or split and already shrunk.

Stock 911 brakes of this era do have a long pedal. Going up a size in master cyl makes a big difference. Higher pedal pressure but much less throw. 

There is a Merc Benz master cyl that is about 18mm from memory that is a great upgrade and basically bolts on. I have one in my hotrod targa along with project mu street/track pads and this setup is excellent. 

Everything looks to be in order

No air in the system, all the pistons are moving freely (I removed the pads and had my wife press the pedal)

So I think I just need to drive it for a bit to get everything settled. Problem is the road worth guy is unlikely to pass it as it is

Will see

On 6/13/2018 at 9:43 PM, rafikdous said:

Everything looks to be in order

No air in the system, all the pistons are moving freely (I removed the pads and had my wife press the pedal)

So I think I just need to drive it for a bit to get everything settled. Problem is the road worth guy is unlikely to pass it as it is

Will see

Do they test drive them for a roadworthy?

^ In VIC they use a meter that measures stopping G force and brake pedal pressure in an actual stop. 

Bit of a catch 22 as you need to bed the brakes to pass the test but you can not drive it to bed them before the test if unregistered. 

Archived