Melbourne Machine shops????

88-ben-88

I have had the misfortune of having a timing chain tensioner fail, resulting in bent valves on my SC. 

The plan had always been to rebuild at some point, but now its an imperative. As i am, prone to a bit of 'while you are in there', i will probably build the engine i have always wanted. The plan is for a 3.0 with between 210 and 240 rwhp. I am thinking it might look like this...

-re-plated bores (reuse the ones i have),

- JE 10.5:1 pistons, stock balanced bottom end, steel head studs,

- rebuilt twin plugged ported heads (i have the small port SC heads and will be seeking to get them to something near the big port specs)  and a streetable cam.

I am open to ideas on the specs. The car will be tracked, and will get a EFI system based on Triumph 675r throttle bodies (like cheshire cats) once run in on the old CIS system

I am going to attempt assembly myself but would love to find a machine shop, a head reconditioning expert, and a cam grinding expert here in Melbourne. 

So who can people recommend ?

And i am not after engine builders, just those with the fancy machines...

cheers

Ben

I cannot recommend from experience, but I've been reading up on Clive Cams, out in Ferntree Gully who get stacks of good reviews online and good feedback on other forums... might be worth a look.

Also, I'm planning on going to talk to the guys at Hoppers Heads; also based on reviews online and on other forums.  Also they are right near where I store my car. I will let you know what they're like after I've been to chat with them.

Just found this:

18 hours ago, 88-ben-88 said:

I have had the misfortune of having a timing chain tensioner fail, resulting in bent valves on my SC. 

The plan had always been to rebuild at some point, but now its an imperative. As i am, prone to a bit of 'while you are in there', i will probably build the engine i have always wanted. The plan is for a 3.0 with between 210 and 240 rwhp. I am thinking it might look like this...

-re-plated bores (reuse the ones i have),

- JE 10.5:1 pistons, stock balanced bottom end, steel head studs,

- rebuilt twin plugged ported heads (i have the small port SC heads and will be seeking to get them to something near the big port specs)  and a streetable cam.

I am open to ideas on the specs. The car will be tracked, and will get a EFI system based on Triumph 675r throttle bodies (like cheshire cats) once run in on the old CIS system

I am going to attempt assembly myself but would love to find a machine shop, a head reconditioning expert, and a cam grinding expert here in Melbourne. 

So who can people recommend ?

And i am not after engine builders, just those with the fancy machines...

cheers

Ben

Interested in all this since I`m currently into rebuild with pretty much same specs wanted. 

btw, if I may suggest, eiter don`t use 675R tbs or use them with custom made for them manifolds. In case of PMO style manifold syou will experience same things I had with an adapters. 

if it will be interesting I`ve started (again) working on a headers for my setup. SSI`s are too dear and a bit thin and obx replcas (which are replicas on replicas) seems to be not as good as might look like. european headres are, well, mild steel :)

p.s. it`s at 3 of us on the same page currently. group buys?:))

carillo pistons cost 1500aud shipped VS 1100 + shipping for the JE, same 10,5:1 CR

5 hours ago, AdRock said:

I cannot recommend from experience, but I've been reading up on Clive Cams, out in Ferntree Gully who get stacks of good reviews online and good feedback on other forums... might be worth a look.

Also, I'm planning on going to talk to the guys at Hoppers Heads; also based on reviews online and on other forums.  Also they are right near where I store my car. I will let you know what they're like after I've been to chat with them.

Just found this:

Just gave them a call and they say they might have something on 911, I`ve mentioned 964 profile as an example they said they have it, the price is 340 for the pair. I believe when I`ll get to the point of dealing with the cams I`ll get there personally to talk details. 

Thanx for the tip mate!

And I get this from the other topic 

•  
  On 5/29/2018 at 10:19 AM, Cheshire Cat said:

Yeah exactly what I thought. Your numbers are really desirable for me, to be honest I'd be pretty happy with them. Especially with the torque figures. To make more powerful you need rpms and it's neither easy nor cheap. 

Thanx Nick, I will need it for sure. 

So far it's unclear with a couple questions like who is able to perform twin plug machining or to bore the cylinders. I need names and not just yellopages. 

Tony knight engines (recommended for porting as well but may be a wait), mark at dhm maybe, I'd ask people like jhh racing also. 

There are plenty of others I'd say!

•  

1 hour ago, Cheshire Cat said:

Wow, $340 to grind both cams sounds pretty good to me!

If you're considering new at all, I have purchased from WebCams in the past who were awesome to deal with.
I got a Porsche 914 spec cam for my 1977 kombi from them and matching lifters. Do a vehicle search on their page and they have lots of porsche options. They seem to have the specs for most grinds.   They will do re-grinds too - but it works out pretty expensive to do it that way.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/index_blank.html?pages/vehicle_search.html

2 hours ago, AdRock said:

Wow, $340 to grind both cams sounds pretty good to me!

If you're considering new at all, I have purchased from WebCams in the past who were awesome to deal with.
I got a Porsche 914 spec cam for my 1977 kombi from them and matching lifters. Do a vehicle search on their page and they have lots of porsche options. They seem to have the specs for most grinds.   They will do re-grinds too - but it works out pretty expensive to do it that way.

http://www.webcamshafts.com/index_blank.html?pages/vehicle_search.html

I know about them and DR Cam as well

What was the pricing?

Thanks for the names, I’ll check them out, but welcome to hear of anyone’s experience with any of them.

i wasn’t in the car when the tensioner failed so not sure what sound they made when they failed. It was on the way to a roadworthy with a trusted friend. They reckon it was a fairly rapid loss of power but the car is so noisy they couldn’t identify a clear ‘bang’.

anyway, it really is just bringing forward what I planned to do. 

At the moment I am wondering how to build a motor that can extract the benefit of the itb’s I plan to install, while also being capable of being ‘run in’ with the old CIS. With the itb’s (same set up as Cheshire cats but with dedicated custom manifolds- thanks for the tip!)  I can get away with running a fairly lumpy cam, but the same cam with the (temporary) CIS will struggle to even run with all the vacuums fluctuations. I am not confident in running a newly built engine on an induction system that needs a base tune and extensive work to get it running. So if anyone has a Microsquirt file for a 3.0 running 10.5 CR, edis and a lumpy cam, I am all ears!

please send in more experiences with head reconditioning, porting, twin plugging etc in Melbourne, or even Australia. Really want to avoid sending stuff to the US....

cheers

Ben

11 hours ago, 88-ben-88 said:

Thanks for the names, I’ll check them out, but welcome to hear of anyone’s experience with any of them.

i wasn’t in the car when the tensioner failed so not sure what sound they made when they failed. It was on the way to a roadworthy with a trusted friend. They reckon it was a fairly rapid loss of power but the car is so noisy they couldn’t identify a clear ‘bang’.

anyway, it really is just bringing forward what I planned to do. 

At the moment I am wondering how to build a motor that can extract the benefit of the itb’s I plan to install, while also being capable of being ‘run in’ with the old CIS. With the itb’s (same set up as Cheshire cats but with dedicated custom manifolds- thanks for the tip!)  I can get away with running a fairly lumpy cam, but the same cam with the (temporary) CIS will struggle to even run with all the vacuums fluctuations. I am not confident in running a newly built engine on an induction system that needs a base tune and extensive work to get it running. So if anyone has a Microsquirt file for a 3.0 running 10.5 CR, edis and a lumpy cam, I am all ears!

please send in more experiences with head reconditioning, porting, twin plugging etc in Melbourne, or even Australia. Really want to avoid sending stuff to the US....

cheers

Ben

Ben, Al Kosmal aka x factory is your man if you're on Megasquirt territory. He provides nixe plug and play setups based on Triumph 955 TBs as long as the MS with maps etc. 

Nick aka Pork chops has one or two cars with his setup. One is running for sure with good amount of power and torque. 

Anyway, wirh the ITB I have made a topic a while ago, called either EFI ITB DIY guide 

There are quite a lot of info

Thanks Cheshire, have been following you thread closely, it’s been invaluable. I have reached out to al and hope he might be able to help. 

While I am asking questions, I might as well re-open the can of worms and ask who can twin plug heads here in Australia? I know everyone here reckons the seppo’s are all nuts going to twin sparks but if we compare fuel, our 98 is roughly equivalent to their 93, and they don’t run more than about 10:1 before going for twins. To me, costs aside, it make a heap os sense going twins, especially if you want to it to last.

i would really love to know why I shouldn’t or don’t have to go twin plugs with JE 10.5:1 pistons and a solid cam. .......please chime in with your experience.....not your opinion....

thanks

ben

I twinplugged the 2.8 RSR+ spec motor in my tarmac rally car.  From memory it was a ‘true’ 10.5:1.

I mainly did it as you couldn’t always get 98 in deepest darkest tassie and it gives a bit of comfort if you have to top up with somewhat bad fuel. 

The car also has a short gear set and goes like a scalded cat!

PRT have a jig and drilled my heads and rocker covers. 

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

I twinplugged the 2.8 RSR+ spec motor in my tarmac rally car.  From memory it was a ‘true’ 10.5:1.

I mainly did it as you couldn’t always get 98 in deepest darkest tassie and it gives a bit of comfort if you have to top up with somewhat bad fuel. 

could you please give either a ph number or any more other info cos google doesn`t seem like know it

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

Because we all love pics...

22 hours ago, 88-ben-88 said:

Thanks Cheshire, have been following you thread closely, it’s been invaluable. I have reached out to al and hope he might be able to help. 

While I am asking questions, I might as well re-open the can of worms and ask who can twin plug heads here in Australia? I know everyone here reckons the seppo’s are all nuts going to twin sparks but if we compare fuel, our 98 is roughly equivalent to their 93, and they don’t run more than about 10:1 before going for twins. To me, costs aside, it make a heap os sense going twins, especially if you want to it to last.

i would really love to know why I shouldn’t or don’t have to go twin plugs with JE 10.5:1 pistons and a solid cam. .......please chime in with your experience.....not your opinion....

thanks

ben

you r welcome Ben. I`m getting twin plug setup as well therefore interested

Ok, so I have talked to a few shops\guys and the prices for machining the heads are quite different. Melbourne ones are damn hugh to be honest, so the numbers are:

HSD Developments would charge - 1400AUD

Cascone  - 1100AUD

and the PR Technology (PRT) - 600 for the heads and another 100 for the covers which makes it 700AUD.

Heads reconditioning:

HSD - 2500AUD

Cascone and PRT 1500+

The prices are quite rough since every engine is unique so... 

I`m quite curious of how much the same procedure cost in the US...

Just be aware of the additional costs that may also go along with head reconditioning too. 

My recent expenditures:

Inlet valves: $40 each

Exhausts: $48 each

Valve springs: $28 each

Head service including supply and fit guides:$1296

Twin plug the heads (but not modify lower valve covers): $690

Oh and add GST too!

• 1 year later...

Funny story I need to re bush (press out old bushings then press in a new ones and hone to size) my con rods small ends and seems like it`s a nightmare to find someone in Melbourne. One of the shops "we do it ALL!" being like - aww, sorry, we don`t have this type of machinery here, check out those motorcycle boys around the corner! 

like really?

so, machine shops melbs gents, to put in new bushings, where to?