Tools - Cleanup and Ratchet Rings - usability?

With the New Tool trolleys .. decided the dirty toolboxes of tools needs a sort. 

Suggestions for tool clean...

Caustic Soda

Coke Cola?

WD40?

Buffing Wheel?

Surface rust on the crap ones and they have been sitting with the good ones… and its a marching , I have tried the wipe over tactic , but I aint really cutting the mustard..

I have also tried chrome cleaner but dont quite work the same as on teh bumpers and brightwork on the Calssic car.

I think I might have to do a tool swap post also .. Faark , seem to have ended up with 5 of some spanners.. Good brands.. god knows how thats happens..

Also as I have a few gaps in the range and will buy some new ones .. anyone using those ratchet rings or open enders with the flexible head/hinged joint ??  Any comments   ?

Not looking for Snap on .. Do you have an experiences with quality with recent buys… brand recomendations ... I have some old school AUS and UK  quality Sidichrome and Kingchrome not recent china under license versions for the heavy duty stuff where I may need to get brutal with a Bar , torch etc..on suspensions

Ebay and online is a wash with "Professional" "Heavy duty" bullshit bullshit marketing 

I sense a rebuild or two coming along.. with a new garage and house purchase imminent

Wire wheel, wipe with WD40/CRC etc, put the ones you like/use the most in order, on a pegboard.  Then keep USING them.  I've been using Stahlwille for 30+ years, but got a shock when I went to replace a "lost" 13mm ring/oe - $30, but "we'll give you a discount".  Fortunately found the "lost" 13mm, but filled in some odd gaps with "Force" brand from Trade Tools.  They seem OK, but time will tell...  Also like some Kincrome, but have had some disappointments recently with their 1/4 drive ratchets.  Don't buy cheap ratchet rings as 1) the heads will be too big and 2) the ratchet will be too coarse.

Try CLR Clear or phosphoric aciid to deal with the rust then wire wheel or buffer on pedestal grinder. If too much chrome lost then toss them. 

Flexible head rachet with open or next size on other end are brilliant for some hard to reach stuff but you will still need a standard ring set due to clearance issues. 

You can never have enought tools?

2 hours ago, Timm said:

Rachet ring spanners are great...absolutely love em, probably my most used tool.

Have you seen the new ones that have a ratchet open end as well as the ring spanner? I haven't tried the open ender as they're not that cheap, though it sounds like they work well

https://youtu.be/PV7E3yxwwWM

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

Have you seen the new ones that have a ratchet open end as well as the ring spanner? I haven't tried the open ender as they're not that cheap, though it sounds like they work well

https://youtu.be/PV7E3yxwwWM

Looks like after preliminary searches in Aus they aint here .. any brands , prety good tech hey..-- good find

I have done some review checking overseas.. UK is expensive to source from - Symsy Tyrekicking analysis outlook is to save your self $100 over UK price

Alden US  seem to make em and they are rebranded/co branded- 10 pcs $160 shipped to Aus - not bad - ratchet one end - standrad spanner the other 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHICAGO-BRAND-Wrenches-Ratchet-Combination-Stainless-Steel-Metric-Set-of-8/332638223252?epid=1661183932&hash=item4d72c87b94:g:VD0AAOSwH2Ja6WR1

They do have a good - double ended set - ratchet each end, probably geat for a tool roll, but theres like a standard $37 ship fee

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHICAGO-BRAND-Wrenches-Ratchet-Combination-Stainless-Steel-Metric-Set-of-3/332625140161?epid=1311823913&hash=item4d7200d9c1:g:83QAAOSwZ~ha18GO

Have had a good run on Kinchrome tools and wouldn't be without a set of ratchet spanners.

One tool I'd be keen to try and any feed back on them would be appreciated is a set of stubby ratchet spanners for those tight to get places.

37 minutes ago, Rod C said:

Have had a good run on Kinchrome tools and wouldn't be without a set of ratchet spanners.

One tool I'd be keen to try and any feed back on them would be appreciated is a set of stubby ratchet spanners for those tight to get places.

Got a set of stubbys, they don’t see a lot of action, but are pretty handy when needed 

One of the most useful additions to any tool kit is a 1/4 drive socket set( with deep and shallow sockets) and a set of these wobble extensions.I use them virtually every time I work on a car or bike.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1/4+drive+wobble+bars&sa=X&rlz=1C1CHKB_en-GBAU419AU419&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwihsJG63szbAhVEx7wKHYmzC0kQsAQIjgI&biw=1280&bih=588

EG @Niko s header to muffler joint last Saturday, no spanner would fit on the hardest to get to nut and too tight to get to with a 1/2 or 3/8 drive, too convoluted to get to with a straight extension. Deep 1/4 drive socket with 2 wobble bars and it was undone in 3 seconds.

Has anyone here taken the rear caliper off a pre 89 811? It requires a 19mm socket/spanner.. My socket and ratchet are too deep to fit in there, so I always end up using a 19mm ring to crack it, then several small turns.. and hope I can get it out with my fingers. Its a dubious task that I am sure can be made easier, with a shallow/slim profile ratchet and socket.. 

3 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Has anyone here taken the rear caliper off a pre 89 811? It requires a 19mm socket/spanner.. My socket and ratchet are too deep to fit in there, so I always end up using a 19mm ring to crack it, then several small turns.. and hope I can get it out with my fingers. Its a dubious task that I am sure can be made easier, with a shallow/slim profile ratchet and socket.. 

Those 811s are extremely rare and thus require special hand-made tools to work on them.

12 minutes ago, Rob said:

Those 811s are extremely rare and thus require special hand-made tools to work on them.

I was thinking the same thing.

The Kinchrome range is not too bad, i haven't broken any of the range yet, steer clear of the plastic coated ratchet handles, they seem to come loose over time though and can slide off the metal handle, best to stick with the all steel ratchets IMHO.

23 hours ago, symsy said:

Ebay and online is a wash with "Professional" "Heavy duty" bullshit bullshit marketing 

You're learning !
What about the Porsche = "bulletproof" stuff?
I rarely break a tool. If I do (because I eat my spinach) I just buy another one. I've been lucky with my Chinese steel. Probably because I eat my bok choi & pray to the dragon king.
Heavy duty = anything you will find in a Land Rover toolkit. But you knew that.

Archived