Time has come - 944 advice, opinions and comments needed

So ....

The time has come to decide what to do with DreamrJr's 944.

He was unfortunate enough to have had an accident and the damage he did is just too much for his shallow pockets ..

My dilemma is which way to go with it .. we can sell it as a project or get a lot more money for it by parting it out ..

I don't really have the tools / space to pull it apart but if the consensus is that it's not worth selling whole, I will if I have to. My aim is to get him the best return that he's got into it and while I realise that selling whole will get less $$$, if it's worth enough I would be happy to move it on.

A bit about the car ....

It's a matching numbers, 1987 Aus delivered 944 ... 5 speed manual

It is NOT listed any register so can be repaired and re-registered.

It had a new clutch and pressure plate fitted about 100 k's (actual) before the accident. It also had the belts and water pump done about 250 k's (actual) ago as well. New tyres have done about (actual) 50 k's (only 3 left but does have a 4th rim to be refitted) .... it also has a brand new battery.

I believe it can be repaired but would probably need someone who knows what they are doing and would be able to do some of the work themselves ... the obvious damage is as follows...

Front bumper bar (needs a new one) .... front guards (could be fixed) ... front nose panel (needs a new one) ... radiator (needs a new one)... rear bumper bar (needs a new one) .. 1 x rear light cluster (needs a new one) and rear 1/4 panels (both sides ... could be panelbeated)

The car still starts and runs but I wouldn't want to do that until all of the damage was identified.

I'm sure there is more that I can't see but hopefully with the photos below, some of you could advise more.

It was a fully driving car that performed quite well ... everything worked well and the air con was ice cold ....

Any comments, discussion, questions and opinions are more than welcome ...

Thanks in advance .... Ronny.

Uu4Mbk1.jpg

2AvSjEM.jpg

AdcrHt1.jpg

6jC7Lcy.jpg

iMycHvK.jpg

Jkt7KHS.jpg

ouPoqQt.jpg

7 minutes ago, clutch-monkey said:

i've fixed a lot worse

i suspect once you pull the bumpers off the body is still neat underneath

It seems to be mostly superficial replaceable parts .... but I'm no expert and am happy to take everything on board ....

I would prefer to see it repaired and saved but I guess that depends on what it's worth as is to someone ....

2 minutes ago, jakroo said:

Ronny,  Have you had any quotes to repair it?

I haven't had it quoted ...

Brandon can't afford to get it fixed and I'm not paying for it .... hard lesson but a lesson all the same ...

If it was up to him he'd keep it for the next 10 years and spend whatever he had to so it was fixed ... it's my job to bring him back to earth!! ....

Sorry to see mate. 

Just my opinion here. Having parted out a car before, you can expect to deal with a lot of morons who want everything for nothing, and it will take a lot longer to sell everything to recoup as much money as you can. I got tired of fielding call after call, holding parts for people who never showed up etc, then ended up getting some bloke to come a grab it as scrap. Personally I'd sell it as a whole and move on

Damn shame.. 

I think maybe look at what parts , are saleable and scrap the rest …  big parts only, wheels, lenses, gearbox and motor , seats , doors , switch gear, glass maybe ,  perhaps , dash and you dont need much space or tech skills ..

I dont know the circumstances of the shunt , but , i would have also thought a lot of these parts are sitting around somewhere and also to be totally bi polar .. you could also repair..

15k seems a lot..  

Really depends what dollars you are trying to get back .. whats the magic number and the gap??

4 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Sorry to see mate. 

Just my opinion here. Having parted out a car before, you can expect to deal with a lot of morons who want everything for nothing, and it will take a lot longer to sell everything to recoup as much money as you can. I got tired of fielding call after call, holding parts for people who never showed up etc, then ended up getting some bloke to come a grab it as scrap. Personally I'd sell it as a whole and move on

Thanks for your input Lee ...

I definitely would be happy to move it on as a whole but my dilemma is what it is worth ...

If it was my car I'd be happy to take a chunky loss and move on .... Brandon is 17 and saved his money working part time at Maccas .... not a sob story here, just a bit of background ... so I'm trying to soften the blow.

5 minutes ago, symsy said:

Really depends what dollars you are trying to get back .. whats the magic number and the gap??

The car owes him $12k .... after buying it and doing the work on it.

Now .... I'm fully aware that it's not worth that .. although parting it out would lean towards that .... 

As mentioned to Lee above ...i would prefer to sell it as is but I just don't know what it's worth as a whole ...

Guidance anyone?? 

1 minute ago, Dreamr said:

Thanks for your input Lee ...

I definitely would be happy to move it on as a whole but my dilemma is what it is worth ...

If it was my car I'd be happy to take a chunky loss and move on .... Brandon is 17 and saved his money working part time at Maccas .... not a sob story here, just a bit of background ... so I'm trying to soften the blow.

The car owes him $12k .... after buying it and doing the work on it.

Now .... I'm fully aware that it's not worth that .. although parting it out would lean towards that .... 

As mentioned to Lee above ...i would prefer to sell it as is but I just don't know what it's worth as a whole ...

Guidance anyone?? 

If I were a walk up , I would offer 4- 6k and probably hope to hustle with a view to repair it for 3-4k and then hopefuly get some paint done to get me back to a good drivable car.

Thats probably not doing your son any favors .. but it does look repairable

I say that not to be cheap but to give you a oppinion…   It is finding a 944 lover who gets the value there or someone who has the skills to source and bolt on the new parts.. 

Im not in the market.

I have painted cars last year for 5k .. again thats the favor network.. but possible

16 minutes ago, symsy said:

If I were a walk up , I would offer 4- 6k and probably hope to hustle with a view to repair it for 3-4k and then hopefuly get some paint done to get me back to a good drivable car.

Thats probably not doing your son any favors .. but it does look repairable

I say that not to be cheap but to give you a oppinion…   It is finding a 944 lover who gets the value there or someone who has the skills to source and bolt on the new parts.. 

Im not in the market.

I have painted cars last year for 5k .. again thats the favor network.. but possible

I take it all on board ... that's why I've opened it to the brains trust ...

We too were going to get a glass out respray for $5,500 from a painter friend So I know it can be done, but unfortunately this happened before we could. His paint money is now his daily driver ...

I appreciate your input! ...

49 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Brandon can't afford to get it fixed and I'm not paying for it .... hard lesson but a lesson all the same ...

If it was up to him he'd keep it for the next 10 years and spend whatever he had to so it was fixed ... it's my job to bring him back to earth!! ....

I don't see a problem with this, keeping it long term and fixing it slowly, after all he has a fairly rare car that will only go in value over the coming years. If he wants to fix it, and assuming there is room, why not?

I bought my first car (s) when I was 16 with the view to get it fixed quickly, 5 years later after a full resto it was done. That car taught me a lot about cars, as I did it all myself.

My 2c, let him figure it out for himself :)

3 minutes ago, ANF said:

I don't see a problem with this, keeping it long term and fixing it slowly, after all he has a fairly rare car that will only go in value over the coming years. If he wants to fix it, and assuming there is room, why not?

I bought my first car (s) when I was 16 with the view to get it fixed quickly, 5 years later after a full resto it was done. That car taught me a lot about cars, as I did it all myself.

My 2c, let him figure it out for himself :)

Believe it or not we have gone down that path and thought about / discussed that option.

I guess my hesitation with this is the recommissioning of an old Porsche and the potential costs of leaving it sitting there for so long ...

While it's all still working and doesn't need the "10 years of sitting there" work done, I think it should be sold and he can always get another when he can afford it ...

Feel free to add another 2c worth any time .... :Beer:

Part it out.  List the parts for sale in logical groups, spotlessly clean and properly identified.  

Alternatively, find a 924 with a dud motor and put all the good bits in that - thus making a 924s style hotrod. 

If it was me/my son, I’d be parting it out. Lots to learn in doing so. 

If you were planning on a complete respray,  which would have required dismantling anyway, stick to the plan. You just need buy a few parts and a little panel beating extra.

Keep it and fix it !

Problem I see with parting it out is you need somewhere to store the parts. Being left with a carcus would also be difficult to move physically and you may need to pay someone to take it. I would therefore only part if you or your son have enough spare time with the parting/selling and enough room to store what you strip. Personally the thought of doing that seems like too much work, however may be worthwhile to your son.

I therefore reckon you have two options:

- Sell the car. Either find a wrecker and give it away or advertise with a realistic price and see if you get any takers.

- Repair the car. Make it a father/ son project to repair the car. Aim for a fair, not great repair and treat it as a learning experience. If you stuff it up, it's not like you've really lost anything by having a go. Pull out the major dents and chase down the bits that can't be repaired. If you can make it able to drive down the road, it will also make it easier to sell because then people can check the mechanical aspects of the car. Biggest downside to this plan is that it also requires space and time, if you don't have either, I would just move the car along.

Looks like some of the front frame is quite bent out of shape...so bit more to repair than just panels.

If I were your kid I'd either part it out, or try to find a cheap non running 924 or 944, or better yet an empty shell and swap all parts over from the crashed car.

I ran the dilemma past my 18 year old Son & after looking at it he said “well is it f##d or not, no one seems to know ?”....while I would have put it differently I think he has a point. You need some professional advice / quotes on the body work. I’ve fixed cars that looked much worse than this....if you’re lucky & it’s only outer panels it’s probably worth keeping but if it needs to go on the rack for straightening etc then I’d part it out...get a decent panel beater to look it & then reassess....good luck with it !!

2 hours ago, OZ930 said:

If you were planning on a complete respray,  which would have required dismantling anyway, stick to the plan. You just need buy a few parts and a little panel beating extra.

Keep it and fix it !

Cheap bitsa panels off donors and cheap arse wrap job????  Fit for purpose

14 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Ronny,

In the responses between this one and the quote, there are a few options, about 50/50.  But as no one has professionally looked at it,  and quoted on it, the speculation of what is busted and needs repair is too much to get a good handle on the real cost.

I'm not one for stuffing people around but I reckon you need to get a proper panel repairer to look at it. Panel etc repair or replace but colour remains as what is bought.  It then runs and is back to operational status.

I hear Benetton style panel colours are coming back into vogue. 

At the time of needing the repair, you can assess the sale of the daily driver to fund it.  There will be an overlap of needing the money for the repairer and the car at the same time but you may be able to sort that out with some short term funding with a realistic market value (and take a further 10% off) or even presale with a delayed delivery of the daily driver. 

@Dreamr i know how much this car means to Brandon but you and he have to decide whether you want a rusting 944 out front until he can find the funds to repair, or part it out and still have a rusting 944 out front.

I know you have mulled over this a thousand times now but it may be better if you just let it go as a whole, there comes a time when you have to get realistic and make the hard decisions.  

Archived