914/6 GT Build

crsedge

Hi Raf & Raven,

Sorry, it has been a while since an update due to the craziness of life getting in the way, as we all face!

The  steel bumper has been modified to accept the oil cooler grill. I decided to remain with steel rather than buy a fibreglass replacement from overseas due to the additional strength offered in any impact (the ex-paramedic in me ? ). This included welding an extra section underneath the cut out to encase the grill

5sl7Qdy.jpg

The steel valance panel also had to be cut to fit....

ahmxVh3.jpg

.... to give the final look of the below (Bumper to be painted black)-

7uoM6pU.jpg

Battery cut off switch and fire extinguisher point fitted up

4Achuek.jpg

I have also purchased a fresh 2.2... :) 

The motor will be installed prior to final paint to avoid any potential scratches to the paint work (given the mechanic will need to drape themselves over the side of the car for access).

I have purchased 914/6 heat exchangers, tinware, and engine mounts from the U.S. which are due in the coming days.....

I have also purchased a secondhand exhaust suitable for a GT replica which will be cleaned up (insert more smiles here) :) :)

MYcGPZp.jpg

Next tasks are flare extensions on the rocker panels and rear valance panels to match seamlessly with the steel flares!

Cheers

Craig

6 hours ago, crsedge said:

Well almost ? This encapsulates both cheap and nasty... ?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-356-1955/SSE-AD-5559194

fetch?id=168740

Apart from being beyond hideous, to claim it as being a 356 replica is an insult to 356 replicas! 

It's the sorta car one would buy for a laugh to do a tarmac rally or track days in......or a clown car in a mardi gra parade! 

errr.:Speechless:  uuhhhmmm.:( mmmm. :wacko:eeeeerrrr. :huh:aaarrrggghh:o...........yeah, Nah:cool07:

Lot of work done , but...

On 25/10/2018 at 21:36, crsedge said:

Hi Raf & Raven,

Sorry, it has been a while since an update due to the craziness of life getting in the way, as we all face!

The  steel bumper has been modified to accept the oil cooler grill. I decided to remain with steel rather than buy a fibreglass replacement from overseas due to the additional strength offered in any impact (the ex-paramedic in me ? ). This included welding an extra section underneath the cut out to encase the grill

Love the build thread Craig, looking forward to the continuation....

• 7 months later...

Wow, I didn't realise how long it has been since my last update, forgive me father for I have sinned....🙉

Progress has been slow, but the good news is that I plan to push through to completion post 1 July this year!! :) 

So, flare extensions on the rocker panels are now completed. I bought some ready made from a supplier overseas but as these things go significant work was required to shape to match the steel GT fender flares! I am however really happy with the result..

Sill_1.thumb.jpg.a9e3b4f0f6c45f2c0c5c8a653b736925.jpg

Sill_2.jpg

Sill_4.jpg

Next has been the fitment of the BF Torino Rallye ST seats, needing to remove the previous seat mounts and weld in new support.

These are going to look great with the period harnesses :)

Seat_4.jpg

Seat_3.jpg

Next tasks- Oil cooler lines, engine  mount fitment, GT roll bar hoop installation, chassis stiffening kit and valance panel flares. Then epoxy- hooray!!

A bit more work on her today 😎

Engine mount for the P motor now in place

C06B018F-3696-45C9-991D-216D7A488D1B.jpeg

Oil cooler lines fitted in place in front boot area, into cabin and out under rocker panels. Next is to carry them through to rear wheel well and into engine bay, as per the path for GTs 👍

A99D370F-5448-4883-B7CA-41F7D757CDD6.jpeg

The chassis stiffening kit was also tacked into place, ready for putting onto the hoist and welding 👍

• 6 months later...

It has been quite a while since my last update.

Period correct roll bar created with seats now in position. Roll bar currently at the powder coaters 

D1FA32FC-597D-4016-B2EF-8F8A0902B41F.jpeg

E664A4EE-C54B-4A2A-9D95-BAF0A2F20675.jpeg

72368450-DF19-4BD8-99AC-7754DE264CC6.jpeg

Bracket for rear rubber bumper top installed- this wasn’t present given the car started as a later model impact bumper 914

1D3817C3-B2A4-4A70-85B5-3B2FAC874A5A.jpeg

914/6 GT centre fuel gauge now in position. This will be flush with dashboard and covered with new dashboard basketweave material

F95076F5-140F-49CD-AAB8-2E7453B02C20.jpeg

Footwell oil cooler line cover created- the front oil cooler lines actually pass from the front through the cabin floor to travel underneath the sill panels on their way to the engine

5F8B2C1A-26CD-4A3B-B2B3-AFD352AFBC08.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 14:57, rafikdous said:

Looking great Craig. I assume you stopped counting how much its costing you ages ago :)

Can't wait to see the painted shell

Errr, yes....:Sweating:

I too am looking forward to it in paint, still a while to go but am heading in tomorrow to commence the sanding process... :)

• 6 months later...

So spent a few days sanding a couple of months back. Also got familiar with old toothbrushes and acetone in all the nooks and crannies around the body, inside the wheel arches were a particular favourite.

I felt like a vet delivering a breech delivery cow in some positions I had to get into with my arm .... 😳

Has been a slow burn more so of late but now in primer. High fill next 👍

727BCDAB-0AA3-4AC5-829B-F906CA367199.jpeg

8AF32DE3-0F5C-4995-93A8-5C0F811E6030.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...