Porsche wins Le Mans 2018

tazzieman

13 minutes ago, Redracn said:

I was under the impression Toyota won. In the age where everybody gets a gold star it seems a class win is now counted as winning the event. 

They cheated...or was it the organisers "shredded the rule book" as the commentators suggested.

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

I was under the impression Toyota won. In the age where everybody gets a gold star it seems a class win is now counted as winning the event. 

Take what you can I say.

Porsche started out at Le Mans chasing class wins until the days of the 917 so I'll pay it.

Hats off to the first road car customer who does pink for their car as a paint to sample ...

1 minute ago, Skidmarks said:

Take what you can I say.

Porsche started out at Le Mans chasing class wins until the days of the 917 so I'll pay it.

Yea but back then the headline would be something accurate (as in not fake news) like “Porsche wins GT class at LeMans 2018”

It is a good effort to win any class but in the end it is still a class win and not the event or outright. 

10 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Yea but back then the headline would be something accurate (as in not fake news) like “Porsche wins GT class at LeMans 2018”

It is a good effort to win any class but in the end it is still a class win and not the event or outright. 

Absolutely agree on the headline.  

I’m sure The Donald will hit Twitter shortly to set the record straight!

Given it's formulated , it's all contrived anyway.
It's like hobbling Kenyan runners so Eskimos can be competitive in the 10,000m.

Toyota spent $120 this year alone so it could beat itself. Nothing wrong with beating yourself , you won't go blind.
It's an awful lot of Camrys though.

Yep spec racing sucks they should burn the rule book and let people race what they like. Indianapolis in the old days would have been a sight to behold. Its the freedom to innovate that results in progress.  

The Kid says

This is more like it!

Looks like Porsche should get cracking on the successor to the 918!

AutoWeek

HYPERCARS, SUPERCARS' CLASS TO REPLACE LMP1 AT LE MANS FOR 2020

Each manufacturer or constructor will build their own chassis for new class

JUNE 15, 2018

The next generation of car that will fight for outright victory in the 24 Hours of Le Mans will have the look of hypercars and super sportscars

A class to be introduced for the 2020-21 World Endurance Championship calls for purebred racing prototypes that manufacturers will be able to style after their road-going machinery. The idea is that car will look like "hypercars, supercars, luxury GTs or concept cars," according to Richard Mille, president of the FIA's endurance commission. 

Unlike the Daytona Prototype international machinery that races in the IMSA SportsCar Championship, each manufacturer or constructor will build their own chassis. The new cars will incorporate hybrid technology, although at a lower level of sophistication and power than in the current LMP1 class of the WEC. 

The cars will have less downforce and be heavier by 110 kilograms than the present generation of LMP1s, but an extra 200 bhp from their internal combustion engines means that they will achieve similar lap times to the current P1s. The target is for them to hit 3 minutes, 20 seconds in qualifying at Le Mans, which is five seconds slower than pole position for this weekend's race. 

The rule makers, the FIA and the Automobile Club de l'Ouest, will equate the performance of what could be a range of diverse-looking cars by setting maximum downforce and drag levels for the cars. This will also help to reduce costs to as little as 25 percent of current levels by limiting development costs. 

The introduction of active aerodynamics will also play a part in the cost reduction plan. It will enable the rule-makers to limit each manufacturer to one aerodynamic configuration for the six-hour WEC races and Le Mans. 

Manufacturers developing energy-retrieval technology, which will be limited to a front-axle kinetic system, will have to make it available to other marques and constructors. Each will have to supply a minimum number of teams, which has yet to be determined.

FIA president Jean Todt said: "The new regulations are the result of hard work between members of the FIA, ACO, manufacturers and teams. This will provide endurance racing with a long-term, stable platform while continuing to offer a cost-effective stage to showcase future technologies."

Six manufacturers have been actively involved in the rule-making process: Toyota, Ford, Aston Martin, Ferrari and McLaren. Porsche has been an observer in the process. 

The final rules should be drafted in time to be signed off before the end of the year. 

19 hours ago, Redracn said:

Yep spec racing sucks they should burn the rule book and let people race what they like. Indianapolis in the old days would have been a sight to behold. Its the freedom to innovate that results in progress.  

Understand the sentiment but that creates an arms race that kills off Motorsport.  There are not enough people with deep enough pockets and even they tire of tearing up big $ after a while.

20 hours ago, tazzieman said:

It's like hobbling Kenyan runners so Eskimos can be competitive in the 10,000m.

??? That's gold

Toyota's win was a bit of a laugh really, as it was just a marketing exercise for them and Alonso to say they won Le Mans. According to the commentators during the telecast, the new regs have been signed off for 2020 

2 hours ago, Skidmarks said:

Understand the sentiment but that creates an arms race that kills off Motorsport.  There are not enough people with deep enough pockets and even they tire of tearing up big $ after a while.

I disagree about an arms race as in effect it is already one but without the benifits. From my 30+ years in motorsport I have never seen a team give money back. They all spend what they can get their hands on and sometimes a bit more and of course they all have a limit. Go to any spec race and you will see teams with vastly different budgets. You will also find that in most cases money buys position with only the top 20% in a race series capable of winning on the day the rest are just there to have fun, gain experience, show a sponsors colours and make up the field. If they can’t afford a given race series then try a cheaper one.

Today reality TV is more real than most motorsport with the rule book mainly being used as a method to slow cars down to a speed the nannys consider acceptable. 

If high level motorsport wants to continue it needs spectators to attract sponsors. More spectators = more $ and this spec racing is mostly having the opposite effect (Nascar being the exception). 

39 minutes ago, Redracn said:

If high level motorsport wants to continue it needs spectators to attract sponsors. More spectators = more $ and this spec racing is mostly having the opposite effect (Nascar being the exception). 

On the day there were greatly reduced actual live spectators due to adverse weather forecast (turned out false) + a transport strike in France.
Of course there is a TV audience but really , given there are 100 other channels plus SOCCER , how many couch potatoes are actually tuned in?`

Banger racing at Le Mans? Massive public support!

10 hours ago, Redracn said:

I disagree about an arms race as in effect it is already one but without the benifits. From my 30+ years in motorsport I have never seen a team give money back. They all spend what they can get their hands on and sometimes a bit more and of course they all have a limit. Go to any spec race and you will see teams with vastly different budgets. You will also find that in most cases money buys position with only the top 20% in a race series capable of winning on the day the rest are just there to have fun, gain experience, show a sponsors colours and make up the field. If they can’t afford a given race series then try a cheaper one.

Today reality TV is more real than most motorsport with the rule book mainly being used as a method to slow cars down to a speed the nannys consider acceptable. 

I think you actually (in part) made my point. And I agree with where you’re headed with what you say.   

Eyeballs is what it’s about.  People at a track is great and in fact critical for atmosphere and backdrop but otherwise it’s about the media deal. That’s what attracts sponsors.  It’s also about the off field experience for them, their staff, suppliers and customers.  A high speed billboard is only a part of the equation.   

All racing is spec racing.  All categories have sporting and tech regs.  That’s the the specification.  

Some are loose (sports sedans) and others really tight (Carrera Cup).  

F1 has a tight set of rules but freedoms around them.  Big money, boring to watch in the main and yet it somehow works.  

Free reign on spending and spec has never worked in a sustainable way.  Teams, manufacturers, spectators, drivers and sponsors lose interest when the biggest wallet wins.  That’s an arms race.  

Someone wins but only because the others couldn’t keep up.  So as you say they go to another series or simply go and don’t come back.

Porsche dominated in Europe in the early 70’s, basically killed sports car racing, went to the US and did the same to CAN AM.   Great racing, great cars, great drivers. The golden age.   Didn’t last long though. 

You’re right about teams never giving money back.  It’s because they need it to keep up in the arms race.  Even those that “make up the numbers”.   They’ll buy the best talent, spend a little more on testing, engineering, prototyping (even spec parts).  

My time racing cars, running my own race operation, acting for drivers and teams at all levels here and overseas, working for (say it quietly) CAMS, advising manufacturers, race series owners ranging from Formula Ford, Aus GT to Supercars, owning/running Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge for Porsche as well as now part owning a Supercar team has thrown just about everything there is at me in terms of how things run and don’t run.  

Truth is, there’s no silver bullet.   No one has the complete answer. The continual challenge is to try and find the right mix that suits the time and at least has a crack at containing costs, maintaining the interest from everyone who’s involved and interested.  

And then there’s that other bit that keeps us all in it despite it being the most irrational choice ... 

Going flat and pulling a crazy move through the Hayshed.  

The driver says “f@ck that was a blast”,

the spectator says “f@ck that was a nice move”,

the team owner says “thank f@ck they didn’t crash”!

8 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

I think you actually (in part) made my point. And I agree with where you’re headed with what you say.   

Eyeballs is what it’s about.  People at a track is great and in fact critical for atmosphere and backdrop but otherwise it’s about the media deal. That’s what attracts sponsors.  It’s also about the off field experience for them, their staff, suppliers and customers.  A high speed billboard is only a part of the equation.   

All racing is spec racing.  All categories have sporting and tech regs.  That’s the the specification.  

Some are loose (sports sedans) and others really tight (Carrera Cup).  

F1 has a tight set of rules but freedoms around them.  Big money, boring to watch in the main and yet it somehow works.  

Free reign on spending and spec has never worked in a sustainable way.  Teams, manufacturers, spectators, drivers and sponsors lose interest when the biggest wallet wins.  That’s an arms race.  

Someone wins but only because the others couldn’t keep up.  So as you say they go to another series or simply go and don’t come back.

Porsche dominated in Europe in the early 70’s, basically killed sports car racing, went to the US and did the same to CAN AM.   Great racing, great cars, great drivers. The golden age.   Didn’t last long though. 

You’re right about teams never giving money back.  It’s because they need it to keep up in the arms race.  Even those that “make up the numbers”.   They’ll buy the best talent, spend a little more on testing, engineering, prototyping (even spec parts).  

My time racing cars, running my own race operation, acting for drivers and teams at all levels here and overseas, working for (say it quietly) CAMS, advising manufacturers, race series owners ranging from Formula Ford, Aus GT to Supercars, owning/running Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge for Porsche as well as now part owning a Supercar team has thrown just about everything there is at me in terms of how things run and don’t run.  

Truth is, there’s no silver bullet.   No one has the complete answer. The continual challenge is to try and find the right mix that suits the time and at least has a crack at containing costs, maintaining the interest from everyone who’s involved and interested.  

And then there’s that other bit that keeps us all in it despite it being the most irrational choice ... 

Going flat and pulling a crazy move through the Hayshed.  

The driver says “f@ck that was a blast”,

the spectator says “f@ck that was a nice move”,

the team owner says “thank f@ck they didn’t crash”!

I agree with a lot of that except about F1 having any real freedom to be different. 

It sounds like we could have a long chat about racing in general. Im pretty sure I know who you are now. 

Team onwers and cost! don't get me started. I would rather listen to a rotary than their whining. 

Now if we could only bring back racing from the old days that made many legends. No or very thin rule book. Just imagine trying to innovate a mid engine car when front engine was all the rage in this day. You would never get such an innovation on the track. Pikes Peak is one of the last with some freedom. 

Ive given up watching most motorsport,  just boring.

3 minutes ago, Redracn said:

I agree with a lot of that except about F1 having any real freedom to be different. 

It sounds like we could have a long chat about racing in general. Im pretty sure I know who you are now. 

Team onwers and cost! don't get me started. I would rather listen to a rotary than their whining. 

Now if we could only bring back racing from the old days that made many legends. No or very thin rule book. Just imagine trying to innovate a mid engine car when front engine was all the rage in this day. You would never get such an innovation on the track. Pikes Peak is one of the last with some freedom. 

Ive given up watching most motorsport,  just boring.

If you’re anti rotary engines we’ll get along just fine. 

Hate the things.  Still can’t forgive Moffat for driving one.  Nearly lost my hearing at Sandown in the stands as a boy with those things blasting by.  

53 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

If you’re anti rotary engines we’ll get along just fine. 

Hate the things.  Still can’t forgive Moffat for driving one.  Nearly lost my hearing at Sandown in the stands as a boy with those things blasting by.  

Rotary's are not my favorite sound far from it but unfortunately I had to accommodate them. 

Im pretty sure I have hearing damage from the Sandown stands as well.

"Still can’t forgive Moffat for driving one.  Nearly lost my hearing at Sandown in the stands as a boy with those things blasting by."

As a boy I used to shudder with excitement with the Thunder ( Noise and Vibrations) from a track filled with Moff and Geoghegan in the Mustangs, Jane - Camero, Beechy - Monaro, being chased by Jim McKewen 911S and the guy I was staying with - Bill Tahtham in a Cortina (302 V8) - my intro to Motorsport !!!

"Ive given up watching most motorsport,  just boring."

I am going to start a list of current favourite Motor sport series, my event - British Touring Cars (SBS Sundays - Speedweek).

Archived