WTB - 997S manual

wilburforce

2 hours ago, JWM said:

Did you see this one just pop up today? Not sure as to why the bumper swap has happened (I always think ”accident” personally) and they haven’t colour matched it well, but it’s priced reasonably https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2005/SSE-AD-5655750

I did thanks mate - had same thoughts re: bumper swap!

2 hours ago, Fraz said:

Baaah, if I had known you were that keen I would have really corrupted you and taken you for drive mate. 

If your keen on a Turbo @wilburforce come and have a detailed look at mine which will set a good base line and I can give you some pointers on what to watch out for.

Great cars, you won’t be disappointed with a 996TT, do it. 

Plus one on that Targa, such a sweet example. 

Thanks @Fraz I'll keep it in mind. They are bloody cheap for what they are - especially compared to 997TT

On 9/11/2018 at 4:13 PM, wilburforce said:

I did thanks mate - had same thoughts re: bumper swap!

Thanks @Fraz I'll keep it in mind. They are bloody cheap for what they are - especially compared to 997TT

Hmm  997s or a 996tt.  Just remember that if you go for a drive in Fraz's it is very very  well tweeked.  Just need to make sure their slightly messed with and give an auto a wide berth.  Exhaust and a tune as a minimum. The extra circa 50hp is nice but it's all about the extra boost hit, throttle response and engine note over a stock one.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:03 PM, smit2100 said:

Hmm  997s or a 996tt.  Just remember that if you go for a drive in Fraz's it is very very  well tweeked.  Just need to make sure their slightly messed with and give an auto a wide berth.  Exhaust and a tune as a minimum. The extra circa 50hp is nice but it's all about the extra boost hit, throttle response and engine note over a stock one.

There are a few auto 996tt for sale under $90k, which seems like a good deal. Why do you say give the auto a wide berth? Apart from being an auto, is there a bigger problem? I thought a Porsche auto was not really like a normal auto...

2 hours ago, JLD said:

There are a few auto 996tt for sale under $90k, which seems like a good deal. Why do you say give the auto a wide berth? Apart from being an auto, is there a bigger problem? I thought a Porsche auto was not really like a normal auto...

The tip is last centuries lower  tech and ain't no dct or pdk with factory  paddle  shifter and rev matching,  but apparently very good in its day and learns from your right foot tendencies.

Is their a reason why like for like  condition the manuals are at a circa 20k plus premium currenly

Just a view but something very satisfying and engaging about driving a tweaked 996 turbo particularly doing second  and third gear pulls when you are dictating the rpms with your left side of your body ( I,m a lefty) as opposed to a button on a steering wheel ( or non  factory makeshift paffleshifters if your into tweaking) and glancing at the boost gauge go past the stock 0.7bar of boost and being thrown back in your seat.  20k of sheer driving pleasure right their for me. Probably not relevant for many but also what mod on the  tip allows you to bypass third gear on a downshift.

PS I do have a older school slightly weaked NA bmw  m3 with a bit of this centuries tech and that car is similiar to the 996 turbo  as its all about 2nd and 3rd gear, BUT on the down shift with paddle shifters and not the upshift .(not convinced can be replicated in a manual in that model.)

Both are very highly addictive in those two gears but completely different cars to drive.

But if your into autos certainly appears to be a bit of stock currently to look at that  don't appear to be moving that quickly for five figures.  For me the 996 turbo is about the engagement of driving a manual and best bang for buck p car that responds to tweaking for not a big outlay..

These cars are getting older so need to allow a bit extra in the kitty to replace aging rubber and plastic bits and that goes for ones that appear to be in good condition.  Eg how many say engine and tranny mounts and boost valves and hoses and , plastic tanks recently replaced with factory genuine parts.

1 hour ago, wilburforce said:

Good info @smit2100

The budget says 997S man or 996TT auto.  Its a daily driver so i was prepared to consider an auto in a 996TT or even 997.2

Stock is thin on the ground so i'm waiting for the right thing to come up.

Seems a lot of autos being advertised currently (996tt) but perhaps a lot of far away princesses.

What's wrong with this one.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-Porsche-911-Turbo-996-Auto-AWD-MY01/SSE-AD-4887412?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-4887412

Archived