power steering gone limp

brian in buddina

The project list is getting longer.

My power steering died on the Lennox Head weekend away, luckily just before lunch on Sunday.

I have checked the belt & tightened it, no improvement.

No loss of fluid, no leaks so nothing to tighten or top up

Nothing on Clarks Garage

Checked the Rennlist forum and there was a discussion on:

a.      the rubber? feed tube from the power steering reservoir to the pump collapses in on it self

b.       complaints about "stop leak" power steering fluid. I am using " Penrite Power Steering Fluid premium mineral with stop leak and it also says where ATF DEXRON III/III is also specified"

Anyone with experience problem solving this before a serious rebuild/replacement is under taken.

May or may not be relevant to your case, but my Merc is very specific about filling up the reservoir in the event of a fluid change, it says not to turn the engine on and to turn the wheel from lock to lock with engine off to work all the fluid through, air is not good in the system. Maybe you somehow got air in the system, this would make it hard.

Have you changed fluid recently or topped up as it was low?

944 ( all ) and the 928 ( all )  plus the 964  / 993  are all non sensitive to refilling their respective power steering oils , meaning they are all self bleeding , yes one can move the steering wheel while filling with engine running , because it just makes filling a little quicker , but that applies to most hydraulic power steering systems

Things to check  }

A ) is the power steering belt on & is it tight , because if the adjusting rod bolts fall out or the rod breaks, the belt goes slack & there will be NO power steering ( not uncommon )

B )  The pump pulley has to be attached to the pump shaft ( three little bolts )

C )  The pump has to pump the fluid and its quite high pressure ( dangerously high ) so be VERY careful

From the workshop manual  }  Power steering pump pressure ( test ) gauge has to be from 0 bar to 250 Bar  = 3,600PSI , same with the test hoses & fittings
                                                     Test pressures are generally in the 100 - 120 bar range

Regards
Bruce Buchanan

thank you gentlemen

@Buchanan Automotive

adjusting rod belt bolts are all there, I tightened up the PS belt the other day to see if that made any difference, nope

I will check on the 3 bolts on the pump pully to pump shaft later in the week

Thats serious pressure in the system.

Should I look a getting a test gauge to check the pump pressure? 

@Mike D'Silva""how old is the fluid?"

don't know, but I have bought a litre, to see if that make a difference. I'll look at flushing it out and re filling. Maybe I'll  do the pressure test first.

@ANF "Have you changed fluid recently or topped up as it was low?"

I added a touch but not much a while back, maybe a few months ago. All was good 2 weeks ago. No leaks.

Archived