I am about to take delivery of a Bendpak four post car hoist and wondering if anyone else out there has installed this brand.

The Bendpak unit incorporates locking pins as a safety feature that need to be disengaged prior to lowering the lift.  You would think the hydraulics would assist in disengaging these pins but apparently it needs an air supply (30PSI) to do the job.  I don't want a whopping air compressor hanging off the hoist, wondering if anyone has installed one and come up with a better workable solution?  The supplier told me the manufacturers concept is no good as it leaks :blink:

At this point in time, I'm considering a very small air brush compressor that I'm hoping will do the job.

mate that is an odd set up for the safety pin release ,,,my two poster has electric solenoids to disengage the locking pins it does it automatically when you hit the down button ....can honesty say I have ever seen one that needs air ...?

30 psi is not much at all and a small compressor would do that no problems ,,,try and find one that is quiet and compact and with a decent size tank so it isnt going off constantly ....I Have a small cheap one I purchased from supercheap auto just for pumping up tires and small jobs ,,,,the tank is only small ,i think 10 liters and it never stops making a friggin racquet ,,,does my head in ..

For those considering a car hoist, I finally have my Bendpak HD9STX installed and happy with it's functionality.

I chose the Bendpak mainly due to the fact it was one of the narrowest (2456mm wide) and still lifted to 2m so I didn't have to duck under it.  The pump is on the inside of the mast but it does stick out around 30mm, so I suppose you need a gap of around 2600mm.

I want the hoist more for storage, so four post with wheels permanently on the ground rather than hanging is my preference.  This hoist is reasonably long, and I like the idea of being able to have the lower car in the middle and not having to step around any posts when passing through.

I dug my drive down a little to assure I have 3m to my facia and an open ceiling.  I plan on modifying the ramps so that they stay up when lifted and will also extend the ramps on a hinge given the 911 is too low (using a packer for now), 944 OK.

The air supply for safety locks does add another complexity, but I now have the benefit of air on hand and I like the fact the locks engage if I don't keep my hand on the air button.  There are also secondary locks that automatically engage in the unlikely event of a lifting cable breaking.  It's a shame Bendpak don't supply a small air compressor with the kit, I'm using a senco unit purchased from Bunnings.  You also need to have the motor wired up for 15amp and purchase your own hydraulic fluid.

The overall construction is very solid in the posts, base plates, runways, pump and cross beams.  Everything looks and feels well engineered.

There are two listed agents in Aust, one more focused on commercial and the other DIY.  You get a better price through the DIY contact ($1000 better!) but I suspect they are actually affiliated :huh:.

If needing the drip trays, don't buy through them as they quoted me $150 for a pack of two :o.  I measured up and compared the gaps to Tuff Lift and they are the same product, but only $15 each through Tuff Lift (highway robbery through original agent!).

Customer service through DIY contact is very poor, a few questions from me leading up to purchase as you would expect for a purchase like this and very lackadaisical approach to responding with minimal feedback. 

I didn't want the standard blue lift, originally told grey was available, upon ordering quoted 10 weeks for grey and got it 14 weeks later.

These things are big heavy units, some damage to paint and stickers upon arrival.

If width and height isn't an issue, I would also give Tuff Lift a good looking over.

OVnyZOT.jpg

What did you need the 3m for?  Is that the garage opening?

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

What did you need the 3m for?  Is that the garage opening?

Any shorter than 3m to the facia meant I wouldn’t be able to get 2m to walk under the hoist without having to duck. The top of the car still needs to go up into the roof pitch with about 130mm clearance.