986 Catback Exhaust

Nick-PBTB

Hi guys, I know this may be a long shot but wondering if anyone in the Melbourne area has one of those basic Catback exhausts for the 986 as I'd like to hear it in person as I am looking to buy one soon if I can find a reasonable price in Australia.

Cheers

Pic attached of what i'm talking about

41UD9IWs0cL._SX425_

Be aware that some of these systems can cause awful drone @ your cruising speed,  2,500 - 3000 rpm …. 

Personally I wouldn't fit one - no performance gain, weight saving you can't feel and a hole in your wallet. I junked mine and fitted equal length headers, cat delete pipes and the standard muffler. That combo gave me a (slight) increase in performance, but it was at the expense of low speed torque. Above 4000 rpm it was better & sounded really good with no drone..... 

3 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

Be aware that some of these systems can cause awful drone @ your cruising speed,  2,500 - 3000 rpm …. 

Personally I wouldn't fit one - no performance gain, weight saving you can't feel and a hole in your wallet. I junked mine and fitted equal length headers, cat delete pipes and the standard muffler. That combo gave me a (slight) increase in performance, but it was at the expense of low speed torque. Above 4000 rpm it was better & sounded really good with no drone..... 

Yes precisely what I’ve heard about them but some have said the drone can be eradicated with 2nd cat delete pipes and even going further some have added a baffle inside or apparently just tightening everything correctly stops it. Exactly why I was wondering if anyone had one just to know what the drone sounded like as would it outweigh the low cost. Out of curiously how much did your setup cost you as I’m looking to do something under 700 as much as I’d like to spend 3k on the fab speed stuff it just doesn’t make sense for the price of the car. 

FISTER EXHAUST from the US of A, does a great muffler.   Modified from a standard muffler.

It is a change over system, but I paid the deposit for the old unit which I wasn't returning  and it was still a great price all up.

Your not going to get much if any performance increase but they sound grouse without droning. 

Not that dear either, even to get it back to Australia although I used a boat to bring mine over on my old 986 Coxster

Darren Fister a great bloke to deal with.

If you go to 986Forum and use the search function, you will get dozens of opinions of how much drone tolerance you can take.

Delubois Parts (Charlie Chan was a slightly derogatory name tag) out of Texas supplied my headers & cat delate pipes @ about $US600 delivered. Again 986Forum can give you an idea of current costing as I bought mine a few years ago. A LOT cheaper than a complete cat back system, but I didn't want the drone associated with that type of full exhaust.

The headers were well made (s/steel) but I did have to clean up the internal welds with a Dremel / file. I also used the Porsche manifold gaskets, not the one(s) supplied.

The pipes were a good fit, but be careful as they are a specific left / right fitting.

I thought this sounded pretty good. Must be the angriest sounding 2.5L car around!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngsjjPbX67k

Is the high pitch bark mostly coming from the bypass pipes? Or other mufflers will have that too?

I like the bark, but don't like any drone or booming..

Archived