MINI for daily driver

I seem to recall that there are a couple of people on here (maybe @KGB) with MINIs.

I daily drive my 996 but was thinking might be nice to mix it up a bit with a car that I care less about and wouldn't worry about parking anywhere and could chuck a surfboard in at a pinch.  I was thinking something $15k or less.

A MINI seems to fit the bill nicely, particularly a JCW or at least an S.

Anyone got any comments about best year/models to look for and reliability/maintenance cost?

Cheers

@D2000 best cheap fun you'll have with your pants on all the way done up.

R53 MIni Cooper S JCW, the 2nd original.  Great car, pretty reliable, super charger grin inducing whine, handle well, chuckable.  Had one, loved it.  Reliable, tracked it even...

R56 MIni Cooper S JCW, stinky little turbo Peugeot motor, costly to maintain and problematic, read the forums.  Mate has one $$$$$$$$.....sink hole.

F56 MIni Cooper S JCW, BMW 2.0lt Turbo. My DD, love it to bits, heavier than R53, but then I'm no lighter than back then either, more sophisticated but still wants (needs) to play like a mad dog on a sandy beach. 5 years free servicing. no warranty claims, 2.5yrs old.

PPI as usual, there are now some non-franchised Mini workshops around, try one of them.

KGB rating; *buy

@Tit still have yours?

3 minutes ago, KGB said:

@D2000 best cheap fun you'll have with your pants on all the way done up.

R53 MIni Cooper S JCW, the 2nd original.  Great car, pretty reliable, super charger grin inducing whine, handle well, chuckable.  Had one, loved it.  Reliable, tracked it even...

R56 MIni Cooper S JCW, stinky little turbo Peugeot motor, costly to maintain and problematic, read the forums.  Mate has one $$$$$$$$.....sink hole.

F56 MIni Cooper S JCW, BMW 2.0lt Turbo. My DD, love it to bits, heavier than R53, but then I'm no lighter than back then either, more sophisticated but still wants (needs) to play like a mad dog on a sandy beach. 5 years free servicing. no warranty claims, 2.5yrs old.

PPI as usual, there are now some non-franchised Mini workshops around, try one of them.

KGB rating; *buy

@Tit

Legend, thanks!  So sounds like R53 the way to go with my budget and purpose.

27 minutes ago, D2000 said:

Legend, thanks!  So sounds like R53 the way to go with my budget and purpose.

Search for a good one (doh), plastics and interior don't wear particularly well, otherwise a neat jigger, put a reduction pulley on it, you'll forget about your 996!

Make him a silly offer.

53 minutes ago, D2000 said:

Tad far from home, I think.  That said, he is probably far from everyone ...

This one might be better and has the JCW kit, although that leather colour!  https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/MINI-Hatch-2004/OAG-AD-15820262/?Cr=4

That was the launch edition paintwork, and leather...lecky blue.  Be sure its a JCW and not just the badge!

Have an 06 cooper s .. no problems , really not that complicated , keep the oil changed regular , you can make a super charger pully change and will spool up even quicker 100,000kms

the run flats are noisy forget em and carry some tyre repair and a compressor , dont chase the biggest wheels

I have done sensors , abs , speed etc on mine , wheel sensors , seem to be the glitches in the system , apart from that , handle great , iconic style and fun fun ..

My Mrs mainly drives it , nice comfortable driver and have run around it in the last few weeks as I broke the Landrover, 4 blokes in it for the pub run the other night no probs.

The dashes are all so different on these cars , mine has water and oil temp and supercharger bar pressure in the centre gauges and two in the steering wheel area, rev/speedo + some 

The 04 hatch interior doesnt seem to get close to mine

39 minutes ago, symsy said:

The dashes are all so different on these cars , mine has water and oil temp and supercharger bar pressure in the centre gauges and two in the steering wheel area, rev/speedo + some 

The 04 hatch interior doesnt seem to get close to mine

I think you

must have the sport Chrono package 

Minis rule. We have had four. Can be a reliability crap shoot though. We've had good luck with our r56 jcw. It's my daily drive and after six years I'm still in love with it.  Can help you with the "low hanging fruit" mods as well.

For @KGB :

i-pTF6Kb8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, KGB said:

Have you bought yet?

Nope. Procrastinating at the moment. Sensible side of me (seconded by my wife) thinks another car might just be more pain than it is worth with maintenance, insurance, etc. The other side of me thinks go for it!

PS - have seen that R53 overseas have problems with rust around door sill and fuel tank. Is that also a problem in Aus or is it just a salt related thing?

Archived