Garage wall lining and storage

On 6/22/2018 at 5:14 PM, LeeM said:

I was trying to think of an alternative to marine ply. 

At the price of marine ply, the only alternative I can think of is gold bars. 

• 2 months later...

So, some progress. Ended up having the walls, floor and ceiling painted. Have tried to attach photo. 

Floor was done in Rusteum Rock-Solid gunmetal metallic. Looks great but painter had to use 1.5 kits at $230 each. Plus it seems not to have cured properly (even after over 2 weeks) and I have had a couple of bits come off already. So will probably need another coat come warmer weather. So while I would recommend the product for the look, at the moment I wouldn’t use it again. 

Next is to put the shelving in on the back wall and get a new garage door. Have found some long span shelving that is 2.8m wide so will nearly go wall to wall (width is 2.9m). Will also go almost to the ceiling. First shelf will be above the height of the back of the car so I don’t lose any useable length in that garage. 

Will post again when more progress. 

B158F81C-8336-475E-98E1-F693C66AE4BC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

@D2000 thanks for the heads up on rock solid as I’m doing my floor this weekend. How is it now?

has anyone else used any of the other polyurethane products like bondall or dy-mark?

My floors old and im concerned at the curing time

1 hour ago, Tips said:

@D2000 thanks for the heads up on rock solid as I’m doing my floor this weekend. How is it now?

has anyone else used any of the other polyurethane products like bondall or dy-mark?

My floors old and im concerned at the curing time

It seems to be getting better (hardly sticky at all now) but there are two places (one where one of the rear tyres sits) where the surface has come off so will require redoing. Welcome to come have a look - just send me a PM.

Haven’t tried cleaning it yet so will be interesting to see how it comes up after a mop.

If you can I would suggest that you wait until the weather is warmer. 

Also @Arnage used it (see above) and had a good experience with it

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I need to do it this weekend as the house goes in the market the week after so I need to do something to make it look better.

ill do some more reading and make a decision in the next couple of days. We can keep the cars out for the next few weeks whilst it goes hard as it’s just got to look good when the punters wonder through ?

10 minutes ago, Tips said:

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I need to do it this weekend as the house goes in the market the week after so I need to do something to make it look better.

ill do some more reading and make a decision in the next couple of days. We can keep the cars out for the next few weeks whilst it goes hard as it’s just got to look good when the punters wonder through ?

What about getting a polish and seal (ie polished concrete look)? Will be done in a couple of days. I got it done at my work and looks decent and not too expensive. Although definitely more expensive than paint!

if you aren’t going to be living there in the future I’d probably go with something that will definitely dry quickly. Maybe even just a coat or three of Berger Jet Dry. I have used that on concrete surfaces at my house and it has held up perfectly to foot traffic (no cars) for 5 years

18 minutes ago, Tips said:

Just make sure if you are going to park in the garage, park outside until the tyres cool down and then move the car in, at least for the first few weeks while the paint is fully curing. That is the main reason for the paint lifting. You also need to make sure you properly clean the floor before painting. I used an acid designed for that purpose first.

40 minutes ago, D2000 said:

What about getting a polish and seal (ie polished concrete look)? Will be done in a couple of days. I got it done at my work and looks decent and not too expensive. Although definitely more expensive than paint!

if you aren’t going to be living there in the future I’d probably go with something that will definitely dry quickly. Maybe even just a coat or three of Berger Jet Dry. I have used that on concrete surfaces at my house and it has held up perfectly to foot traffic (no cars) for 5 years

If you're not going to be there much longer, minimum effort / cost to make it look good would be the order of the day I think.....  Jet Dry sounds good!!!

Just did a triple garage (new house finished) with Rock -Solid. Even though new concrete it's still most of the work & time is prepping the floor. If I do it again I will seal it first. I used 3.5 kits (7 bags).

Working time is only one hour per bag so you have to work fast, two people would be way easier. It is now two days old and hard as nails and very shiny.

buy way more than you think you need you can always take back what's left over. Also make sure at least one of the kits is the single garage kit and use this last if nessasary. Also try and make sure all kits are the same batch number.

Its all in the prep and curing time. Short change either and the results will vary. 

I did Berger jet dry about 3 years ago; skimmed on the prep and drying time. Despite that, it really has worn ok, I would thoroughly recommend it. With the proper acid prep and a couple of weeks to cure you will get years from the Berger product. Agree with @MFX, its hot tyres that kill the finish, the only area I had lift was where the tyres melted through the paint. Has not lifted anywhere else and I need to stress, I did a poor job on prep. 

Has anyone got experience with the plastic tiles? A variety are available, curious if anyone has used them?

8 hours ago, D2000 said:

Maybe even just a coat or three of Berger Jet Dry. I have used that on concrete surfaces at my house and it has held up perfectly to foot traffic (no cars) for 5 years

Thanks @D2000 & @TwoHeadsTas jet dry is in my thinking too as it will be for someone else. Based on available help and working time and it looks like it will be a bit wet/colder in Syd this weekend might be biting off more than I need with rock solid, great tip thanks @Arnage

I would polish and seal if it was new however it’s had old paint 30+ years ago and some new concrete as part of an extension so it would not be worth the effort for someone  else. 

@MFX and @Ozvino thanks for the thoughts on prep. Agree post Karcher wash I was going to acid etch/prep prior to painting and cars outside until tyres cold or it’s sold

• 3 weeks later...

So finally bit the bullet 2 weekends ago and painted the garage floor.

went the jet dry, deep charcoal, heavy duty.

prepped the floor as there was both old and new concrete including some with ancient paint.

karcher with dirt blaster nozzle to get rid of flacking  paint and old stains

Jet dry active clean using a scrubbing brush

jet dry etch for the bare concrete patches

I put in jet dry true grip for the first coating  to reduce slipping.

all up 2 full coats and pretty happy with results.

Cars went on it after 10 days and so far so good.

thanks all for the input and tips.

some before and after shots

Archived