944 Dash Trim & Clock

SteveF

I’m doing a tidy of a few things in the interior of my ‘86 944 and wonder if anyone has a working digital clock and/or the black dash trim that surrounds it and runs across the glove box to the a/c vent?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,

you probably know this but you can get very good kits to fix the clock of ebay.  If I can fix it anyone can.

I picked up a good bit of trim from Aporschapart in Vic - they are pricey at times.  Try your local Porsche Centre - they can be surprisingly good value.

I know there are a few places in the States & the UK that do reconditioned clocks however I surprised myself by actually fixing mine successfully.  I can't recall which crew I got it from on ebay but they where good.  I just looked at the reviews & went with who had the best seller rating.

Do yourself a favour & check the prices at your local Porsche Centre for the trim piece.  They have surprised me a few times with being only narrowly more expensive than second hand parts on certain items.  I always check the new price as a first port of call.  I but lots of gear from OS but it's the freight that makes it murderous.............. 

Good advice. Thanks Jason. 

Aporsha Part want $85 for a second hand one so I’ll check Porsche Willoughby to compare. I’ll also get a kit and give a crack at repairing the clock.

9 hours ago, SteveF said:

Good advice. Thanks Jason. 

Aporsha Part want $85 for a second hand one so I’ll check Porsche Willoughby to compare. I’ll also get a kit and give a crack at repairing the clock.

You probably can't beat $85 - if it is in good order. 

My clock kit came with good instructions but I also looked deeply into clarks garage & they had some good tips on what to look out for & what to avoid to do unnecessary damage .  Also remember that the light bulb on the clock may want replacing as well.  I didn't realise this & put my clock together & reinstalled it only to find that the bulb didn't work.  I ordered one for a few dollars from Porsche & will reinstall next time the dash is out.  It needs to be soldered in.

3 hours ago, Jason E said:

It needs to be soldered in.

The globe doesn't need to be soldered in for an S2, presume 86 is the same?

Watch the video below, see from 11:55

I couldn't find WPO shop on ebay any longer?

NEW purchase? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-944-968CS-digital-clock-LCD-screen-repair-kit/122182345640?epid=856068849&hash=item1c72a2a3a8:g:vMUAAOSw7z1aIGqY

23 hours ago, Stepo said:

The globe doesn't need to be soldered in for an S2, presume 86 is the same?

Watch the video below, see from 11:55

I couldn't find WPO shop on ebay any longer?

NEW purchase? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-944-968CS-digital-clock-LCD-screen-repair-kit/122182345640?epid=856068849&hash=item1c72a2a3a8:g:vMUAAOSw7z1aIGqY

Well shit.  Wish I'd watched this vid prior to doing mine.  I fiddled with my bulb & it felt too solid to be just "clipped" in.  Did some very scant research & read something that said it was soldered in there.  Now I have to pull the wholw bloody thing apart again.  Bugger................................

Thanks for the link @Stepo.

Just to confirm can you all read your clocks at night?  Mine's fine during the day but unreadable at night.

6 hours ago, Jason E said:

Just to confirm can you all read your clocks at night?  Mine's fine during the day but unreadable at night.

The globe is your issue if you can't see the numbers at night

• 2 weeks later...

Got my kit and are in the process of doing it. Just to clarify does the bulb need to be soldered in or not? A bulb came with the kit but doesn’t work when I turn on the lights so are assuming yes or it could be something else.

Thanks Jason. Javol, the vid was very helpful with the installation and clock works great but still having issues with getting the light to work. There appears to be power going to the socket that the clock and light plugs into. I even tried doing it again with a second clock that I found online and the same issue. I shall keep trying. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

On 7/7/2018 at 6:49 PM, SteveF said:

Thanks Jason. Javol, the vid was very helpful with the installation and clock works great but still having issues with getting the light to work. There appears to be power going to the socket that the clock and light plugs into. I even tried doing it again with a second clock that I found online and the same issue. I shall keep trying. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Does the globe come on when you turn your headlights on Steve?

1 hour ago, Stepo said:

Does the globe come on when you turn your headlights on Steve?

Hey Stepo,

I've been working on this with Steve and I can't work out what is going on ...

We've ascertained with a test light that the power terminal on the plug side has power and goes on and off with the parkers... the new globe that came with the clock kit is also soldered in to the holder, so no issues there ...

The only 2 things I can think of is ..

1. The plug "may" have an earth terminal that works in conjunction  with the power terminal for the clock alone ... I haven't tested the plug to see if the earth terminals are good ... So I'm thinking a power and earth for the clock circuit and the same for the light circuit.

2. There is a break somewhere in the circuitry on the clock ... I'm a little hesitant to think this option as 2 x clocks don't light the globe and it's odd that both don't work ... (same soldered globe).

Are you aware of any other common issues that would stop it from working??

Archived