Sportomatic shifting down to D1 and R

generalsmirnov

Hi Sportomatic experts! 

I have a 4 speed 1975 sporto transmission that I daily drive in traffic and love. Recently however it's been doing 2 annoying things semi-regularly and I am wondering what the root cause of either/both is:

1. When shifting down from D2 to D1, it will go into the D1 position smoothly but actually stays in D2. Subsequently pushing back into D2 feels clunky.
  2. R is tricky to get into, need to almost put it forward into P to shift over.

Otherwise D2, D3 etc. all shift very nicely.

Thanks!

Scott

4 hours ago, generalsmirnov said:

Hi Sportomatic experts! 

I have a 4 speed 1975 sporto transmission that I daily drive in traffic and love. Recently however it's been doing 2 annoying things semi-regularly and I am wondering what the root cause of either/both is:

1. When shifting down from D2 to D1, it will go into the D1 position smoothly but actually stays in D2. Subsequently pushing back into D2 feels clunky.
  2. R is tricky to get into, need to almost put it forward into P to shift over.

Otherwise D2, D3 etc. all shift very nicely.

Thanks!

Scott

Herein lies your first mistake “ Sportmatic experts”, ha ha, there are guys on here who will know exactly what the issue is OR they will know someone with the answers, you have come to the right place.

• 5 months later...
On 06/12/2018 at 11:10, generalsmirnov said:

Finally replaced the shifter coupling bushings with some brass ones from Pelican:

Replace the cup and bushings in the shifter while you're at it - I did it on mine as well as a Wevo precision coupler and it was like a new box.

Archived