Drive a diesel car? Australia's "dieselgate"

tazzieman

4 hours ago, Ozvino said:

Chickenshit Australia with a total lack of consumer balls let VW off scott free; we should have forced a buy back like the US did

I also have a diesel Skoda Superb with the effected engine.  I believe the Australian court case is still ongoing is it not?  I hope it is as I'd love a few dollars back in the pocket.

The Ignorant Green’s are on Diesel witch hunt. A far bigger issue in cities is the particulates from tire wear and surprise surprise Electric Vehicles generate more of this due to their high torque and high weight wearing the tires faster. Virtue signalers and facts?

Particulate filters are one of the worst engineering solutions ever devised and should never have been imported into this country.

My V8 Touareg Diesel has run perfectly but it gets plenty of long drives and towing. 

3 hours ago, Jason E said:

I also have a diesel Skoda Superb with the effected engine.  I believe the Australian court case is still ongoing is it not?  I hope it is as I'd love a few dollars back in the pocket.

yes, but thats a class action driven by Maurice Blackburn - in the US the govt mandated a buy back. One of my employees had a 2 year old diesel Jetta that he took back. They did a 15 minute assessment at a dealership and produced a bank cheque on the spot. The car ended up costing him $300..... 

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-05/vw-emissions-scandal-australian-car-owners-get-day-in-court/9502952

The VW Diesel buy back was the ultimate wasteful act by elected idiots and bureaucrats. The cars complied with polution laws in other locations so should have been exported from the US and onsold. The cars are small, efficient and emitted way way less politants than any RV or pickup or a car only a few years older etc. Allowing poorer people with older cars to upgrade to the VW’s would have seen a huge improvement in overall fleet emmissions by removing higher emitting vehicles from the road. VW decided to run the engine leaner which reduced particulate emissions and improving fuel economy. This was also benificial to the particulate filter and the rate at which it chokes up. Problem was in doing this the NOx emissions were above USA limits so a fix was implemented to get around a pesky detail so they could deliver a better car. 

The cars complied with Europes and Australias emission limits so what is there to complain about? Looks like Ambulance chasing to me. 

10 minutes ago, Redracn said:

The VW Diesel buy back was the ultimate wasteful act by elected idiots and bureaucrats. The cars complied with polution laws in other locations so should have been exported from the US and onsold. The cars are small, efficient and emitted way way less politants than any RV or pickup or a car only a few years older etc. Allowing poorer people with older cars to upgrade to the VW’s would have seen a huge improvement in overall fleet emmissions by removing higher emitting vehicles from the road. VW decided to run the engine leaner which reduced particulate emissions and improving fuel economy. This was also benificial to the particulate filter and the rate at which it chokes up. Problem was in doing this the NOx emissions were above USA limits so a fix was implemented to get around a pesky detail so they could deliver a better car. 

The cars complied with Europes and Australias emission limits so what is there to complain about? Looks like Ambulance chasing to me. 

I agree the cars could have been repurposed, but it wasn't a wasteful act. VW were punished financially, as they should have been. Bottom line - its corporate fraud, they conspired, lied and broke the law - sons of bitches should go to jail

37 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

I agree the cars could have been repurposed, but it wasn't a wasteful act. VW were punished financially, as they should have been. Bottom line - its corporate fraud, they conspired, lied and broke the law - sons of bitches should go to jail

Seems we don't share the same meaning of the word wasteful?. It also seems the days of the punishment fitting the crime are well past us now. The person/people responsible should pay if they break the law not the shareholders and other employees who will do the actual “paying”. Just think of what new technical  advancement towards lower emissions we are missing out on due to VW having a reduced budget. In the long run we could be worse off when it comes to total NOx emmited. Instead the fine money goes to pollies perks, their super-funds and more public servents. 

What they did with the cars is the most stupid punishment ever conceived. It even hurts the owners who were driving perfectly good cars that in all likelyhood emitted a lot lot less NOx than the car it replaced. 

Jail terms for the main culprits would have sent the required message. 

4 hours ago, Redracn said:

Yet that's not profitable for a government to lock them up, so a big fine it is! 

As I'm sure a lot of people here know, corporate big wigs can get away with murder if they have a big enough legal team (aka lying plea deal experts), so it's no surprise they didn't get locked up

8 hours ago, Redracn said:

Seems we don't share the same meaning of the word wasteful?. It also seems the days of the punishment fitting the crime are well past us now. The person/people responsible should pay if they break the law not the shareholders and other employees who will do the actual “paying”. Just think of what new technical  advancement towards lower emissions we are missing out on due to VW having a reduced budget. In the long run we could be worse off when it comes to total NOx emmited. Instead the fine money goes to pollies perks, their super-funds and more public servents. 

What they did with the cars is the most stupid punishment ever conceived. It even hurts the owners who were driving perfectly good cars that in all likelyhood emitted a lot lot less NOx than the car it replaced. 

I like your perspective - they could have flipped the owners 5 years free servicing or something similar and pushed the remaining "fine" into R&D to benefit the entire industry, not just VW.

Jail for the mgmt team absoilutely

Y'all can relax now , diesel is saved

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/enterprise/enterprise-awards/one-to-watch/acct/

"The new Loughborough technology – ACCT – integrates into existing SCR systems, requiring very little design alteration. Crucially, by extending the system’s operating temperature range, ACCT dramatically lowers NOx emissions and allows for further fuel efficiency improvements."

Buy shares in Loughborough...people are queuing up

1 hour ago, tazzieman said:

Y'all can relax now , diesel is saved

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/enterprise/enterprise-awards/one-to-watch/acct/

"The new Loughborough technology – ACCT – integrates into existing SCR systems, requiring very little design alteration. Crucially, by extending the system’s operating temperature range, ACCT dramatically lowers NOx emissions and allows for further fuel efficiency improvements."

Buy shares in Loughborough...people are queuing up

Cold start is the main phase where emissions are high (very high as none of the catalysts are working) so anything that can get the emission control stuff operating sooner after starting is a big benefit. Not sure about the NOx claims though. 

Blah blah blah. The professor is probably paid by the government to come up with some bullshit article length manuscript dribble to make it all better to the consumer. Bollocks! 

Isn't methane a killer? Maybe they should create the technology to harness cow farts, as 'apparently' they are one of the world's biggest contributors to the ozone layer depletion. According to the 'experts' anyway 

49 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Blah blah blah. The professor is probably paid by the government to come up with some bullshit article length manuscript dribble to make it all better to the consumer. Bollocks! 

Isn't methane a killer? Maybe they should create the technology to harness cow farts, as 'apparently' they are one of the world's biggest contributors to the ozone layer depletion. According to the 'experts' anyway 

Don't forget insects !!!!!! 

"Scientists have calculated that termites alone produce ten times as much carbon dioxide as all the fossil fuels burned in the whole world in a year."

https://www.iceagenow.info/termites-produce-co2-year-living-combined/

(Hmmm - who is being rewarded for producing all this alarmist fake science?? )

In the 2002 Scientific American while trying to attack a “denier” the publication included this little tid bit. “I readily confess a lingering frustration: uncertainties so infuse the issue of climate change that it is still impossible to rule out either mild or catastrophic outcomes let alone provide confident probabilities for all the claims and counterclaims made about environmental problems. … uncertainties are so endemic in these complex problems that suffer from missing data, incomplete theory and nonlinear interactions.”

-----------------

Perhaps "we" should try being nice to each other and vow to stop scaring kids. Would that work?

• 9 months later...

The issue with diesel is the EGR systems, recirculating hot air from the exhaust back into induction system to dilute emissions. This then clogs induction system and all goes to shite.

Newer Petrol engines have same. Hot air into engine is a performance killer, everyone knows that.

Block of or remove EGR and tune the car properly- job done. Use less fuel and more power.

OR

Buy a 911 Turbo, air leaves the exhaust cleaner the it goes into the car.

There are options 😊

1 hour ago, Jason A said:

The issue with diesel is the EGR systems, recirculating hot air from the exhaust back into induction system to dilute emissions. This then clogs induction system and all goes to shite.

Newer Petrol engines have same. Hot air into engine is a performance killer, everyone knows that.

Block of or remove EGR and tune the car properly- job done. Use less fuel and more power.

OR

Buy a 911 Turbo, air leaves the exhaust cleaner the it goes into the car.

There are options 😊

Seperate EGR is a pain alright and a regular service item to clean the crap out. CAM overlap EGR while more limited in its ability to reduce combustion temperature has few issues. Given a modern cars EGR only operates at part throttle to mainly reduce NOx to pass the prescribed emissions tests you just need to give it more throttle (than used in the test) and it turns off in order to extract maximum performance. The thing is that most people drive harder than the tests require so get nowhere near the official fuel consumption while belting out much higher emissions. And people are just waking up to the biggest automotive con in the last 30 years.

• 1 month later...
On 28/06/2018 at 11:11, symsy said:

250+kms on the old Disco 3 , still drives 600-1000kms a week   .. does run abetter with the occasional injector cleaner run through it 

Seems like the clogging issue is also on the Petrol cars or is that the dogy O2 and wgine sesnors they put in most things now days to get more money outta ya .. another light on syndrome for the repairer to charge you for.

On the disco 3, Make sure you give your MAP and MAF a clean every 50,000kms or so. 

The MAP gets really dirty. Makes a big difference to exhaust smoke and fuel economy.