2 stroke mowers are getting the chop

tazzieman

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-29/dirty-mowers-and-chainsaw-motors-slashed-under-new-emission-laws/9885250

Brisbane "lawn fanatic" Rusty Garton still owns a two-stroke lawn mower from the 1950s.

His Victa "toe cutter" looks like something straight out of the pages of an antique gardening catalogue, and it's name describes what could happen if you stand too close to its not-so-protective metal chassis.

He upgraded to a more eco-friendly four-stroke mower years ago and said the difference was huge.

"My two mowers are 70 years apart and I can tell you mowing with the old Victa, you're definitely in a smoke haze," he said.

"The new four-stroke doesn't miss a beat and you barely know that it's running."

Despite this, Mr Garton said he wouldn't be parting with his two-stroke anytime soon.

"There's nothing like having the smell of those two-stroke fumes," he said.

"Sometimes you like to go back to where it all started."

===================

He said people still valued older equipment because it was easier to fix and more reliable to run.

"[Lawn mowers] are full of plastic now and you only need to hit them into a tree or something like that and they smash things on them and crack.

"Older models were built a lot more solid — everything on them was top of the line.

"They were made heavy duty and could cop a flogging and keep going."

=========================================

Hmmm...sounds familiar!

When we were racing gokarts, I used to like using the leftover fuel mix in the mower or whipper snipper. The smell was just like being at the race track in your own yard.?

And I burn waste paper, cardboard and the undergrowth. My CO2 emissions are offset by the bush growing back at an exponential rate, and the reduced food miles from growing my own veges.

When the next bushfire hits, we'll be back at square 1 again. But with global warming , everything will grow better.
"Da circle of liiife"

Man I hate this world sometimes. So a single cylinder small capacity engine which 'creates a cloud around you' once a fortnight (or weekly if you're a green thumb) is much worse than having your window open as you drive a vehicle behind another 100 or more multi cylinder vehicles on an arterial road breathing in their toxins every day? Right, gotcha ?

Maybe Mr Fooks needs a throat punch! 

59 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Maybe Mr Fooks needs a throat punch! 

Maybe they are gonna sell a whole lot more newly developed machines. Jobs and growth s what it's all about. None of this "recycling" rubbish.
Anyway we can't recycle stuff, it's too costly. There's no money in it. Can't even sell it to Queenslanders or the Chinese.
Wait...you buy water in plastic bottles? WTF? Where did we get that idea?

48 minutes ago, tazzieman said:

None of this "recycling" rubbish.
Anyway we can't recycle stuff, it's too costly. There's no money in it.

True, as I found out when I got a quote to fix my edge trimmer. It was cheaper to buy a new better quality one! I'll eventually go battery operated as I rarely use one, and all my work tools are cordless (saves getting cords, tools, generator etc tagged every 3 months) as I have 10 x 5.0ah batteries

Long live my 2 stroke Victa GTS.  25 years old and starts first pull.  I never have to charge a battery which would inevitably die and need replacing. 

I’m pretty sure the half hour of fumes every fortnight does less damage than the pollution created to manufacture a new “clean” battery powered mower. 

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

These greenies better be using one of these.

15b746_bdf77db26ed046749429333ae0a8fccf.

Funny, as I ripped into a greenie hippie wanker about all their Save the planet/no coal/no lithium ion manufacturing as he was using a laptop and mobile phone to update his Greenie Facebook page. Not to mention his shitty old Bedford van that leaks and uses more oil than the Exxon Valdez! 

With ya there @Harvs11 though as I already have the batteries, I may aswell use them for other tools

1 hour ago, Pauly said:

These greenies better be using one of these.

15b746_bdf77db26ed046749429333ae0a8fccf.

Badge them "Viking Grim Reaper" and they will fly out the door to the millenial spartan 300 marvel demographic.
They won't know how to start them though.

7 hours ago, 81SC said:

When we were racing gokarts, I used to like using the leftover fuel mix in the mower or whipper snipper. The smell was just like being at the race track in your own yard.?

Bet you finished the lawns in record time.

6 minutes ago, LeeM said:

With ya there @Harvs11 though as I already have the batteries, I may as well use them for other tools

One problem. I had a Dewalt rattle gun for fast wheel changes at the race track. Couple of years and the batteries wouldn't hold charge. Went to get some new ones. Dewalt (bless their little cotton work socks) have update their batteries and the new ones are TOTALLY different so wont fit the old tools. Had to buy a new rattle gun - needless to say it was a different brand.

Just now, Airhead said:

One problem. I had a Dewalt rattle gun for fast wheel changes at the race track. Couple of years and the batteries wouldn't hold charge. Went to get some new ones. Dewalt (bless their little cotton work socks) have update their batteries and the new ones are TOTALLY different so wont fit the old tools. Had to buy a new rattle gun - needless to say it was a different brand.

Been there. I asked about batteries dying, and a lot if people in the know say it's the charger at fault, not the batteries. There's a few YouTube videos about it. 

My old nicad Dewalt nail gun I still use every day is still going after 7 or 8 years use, and its only now starting to hold it's charge a bit less. The new one has smaller lion batteries which are pathetic and need charging twice a week. I use AEG tools mainly, and the 5.0ah batteries last for ages. I also bought a few new cheap Ozito cordless tools incase any others shit themselves onsite, and I'm using them a lot more than the AEG lately. Why buy one tool skin when you can buy 4 for the same price? Batteries are much cheaper too. I'm not into the 'Must have Makita/Milwaukee/Hitachi' debate

Back to mowers ?

2 hours ago, Airhead said:

Bet you finished the lawns in record time.

Yeah, I use to make noises to replicate the kart whilst mowing & always hit the apex around the Hills Hoist. If my neighbours were watching it would of been a WTF moment, but I was chuckling on the inside.??

When our lawn mower broke and wouldn't run, my wife kept hinting to me that I should get it fixed.
But, somehow I always had something else to take care of first, the shed, the boat,
making beer.. Always something more important to me.

Finally she thought of a clever way to make her point.
When I arrived home one day, I found her seated in the tall grass, busily snipping away with a tiny pair of sewing
scissors. I watched silently for a short time and then went into
the house. I was gone only a minute, and when I came out again
I handed her a toothbrush.

I said, "When you finish cutting the
grass, you might as well sweep the driveway."

The doctors say I will walk again, but I will always have a limp.

On 6/29/2018 at 9:00 PM, OZ930 said:

Ban E10

Ban Diesel

Ban 2 strokes

what's next Tassie......steam ?

Been recently looking into buying a historic open wheeler - AVGAS will be soon out for racing unless the government reverses the decision!

1 hour ago, Dalai said:

Been recently looking into buying a historic open wheeler - AVGAS will be soon out for racing unless the government reverses the decision!

Lest the many 1000s of light planes be grounded , there is some background research

"June 4, 2018: Unleaded Avgas Progress Update

The FAA continues to be committed to evaluating suitable replacement unleaded fuels to support general aviation. Phase Two testing of unleaded avgas continues, having completed two and a half years of testing and evaluation since the FAA's selection of the two finalists in the Piston Aviation Fuels Initiative (PAFI) replacement unleaded fuels program. To date, the flight test program is approximately one-third complete, while the engine test program is about halfway complete.

Differences in the two PAFI fuels as compared to 100LL are being evaluated for impacts and mitigations. While these issues are assessed, PAFI flight testing and some engine testing have been halted. Both fuel producers, Shell and Swift, are currently evaluating options to mitigate the impacts that these differences will present in fuel production, distribution, and operation in the GA fleet. These evaluations will take time and ultimately affect the schedule of the test program. Based on current projected activities and timelines, the testing completion date for the PAFI program will be December 2019 (previously December 2018).

The FAA and industry are interested in pursuing all alternatives while issues are assessed including evaluating high-octane unleaded fuels currently being developed outside of the PAFI program. "

Archived